5" Gold Dredge At Ganes Creek, Alaska

2002-brian-dredge-ganes.jpg

I visited Ganes Creek, Alaska many times over the years. This was always to metal detect for gold in my case. However, there were others who wanted to suction dredge while at Ganes Creek. My friend Brian Berkhahn was one of them. Brian just loves dredging. Detecting he is good at but has less patience for. So in 2002 while we were at Ganes on a nugget hunt Brian talked Doug into letting him use a 5" Keene dredge they had at the mine. There was a drainage ditch upstream where several large nuggets had been found in the pile of material dug out of the ditch. I was a bit skeptical as the nuggets in the tailings are few and far between, but Brian wanted to give it a go. As I recall he did not find much here, but he does have the distinction of being one of the few guys who have done some dredging at Ganes Creek. He is on the forum so maybe he will chime in with his recollections on this photo.

• Like 2

Aw man.. I've never seen that pic before.. That does bring back some great memories. I believe the reason I actually dredged there is because Doug asked me to give it a go to see if it'd be worth having people come up and dredge so seeing as I love to dredge I said SURE!! He already bought Andy's 5" dredge and had it sitting there so half the work was already done. I still wish he would've let me dredge the backside of the flag on the runway, where we were pulling all the nuggets off the top off. I know it was the last scoop off the bottom but Doug said No because it was downstream from the outhouse. I was fully enclosed in my neoprene so I didn't care, turns out it was the same spot where (I think) Jesse found that 20oz'er. I think it would've been really good.

Thanks for the pic Steve.

Thanks!

• Like 1