Thought It Was Broken

Today out hunting, the detector started acting up. Chattery and unsteady like when in extreme EMI. No adjustment to settings made much difference. While shutting it off to leave it was noticed that the battery had almost no charge at all left. What a maroon.

It is all too easy to forget about the battery when it lasts so long. Don’t be a maroon like some people.

19 minutes ago, Geezer said:

It is all too easy to forget about the battery when it lasts so long

It's also too easy to not properly connect a charging cable, or to get distracted putting the detector away and forget to charge it. 🤬

Some detectors can charge while running, get yourself a power pack and some small bungees if yours will charge while running. 🙂

I have done that before, Where is your spare battery?

12 minutes ago, JCR said:

I have done that before, Where is your spare battery?

In my car. No harm done, just so dumb. 

3 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

It's also too easy to not properly connect a charging cable, or to get distracted putting the detector away and forget to charge it. 🤬

Some detectors can charge while running, get yourself a power pack and some small bungees if yours will charge while running. 🙂

So true. There is a spare battery for a Tarsacci, I at least remember to put it in the kit and so are prepared for such things. This is the first time I have seen what this detector does when it runs out of juice, and so did not recognize what was happening. Simple ignorance of the most basic thing in the world. 

I almost looked around to see if anyone saw me put the fresh battery in. One would think after a few decades one would not make such rookie mistakes, yet is seems beyond a certain age I now make more of them. 

This now is the first full battery with the large coil. It seems to have used this battery more quickly. Could it be that the large coil uses more power and drains them faster? This is only how it seems, I do not really keep track of such things.

This 12” round coil is new to me, and does seem to work better at what I want done, but it does not seem as though it should need more power to do it. The batteries are now about 4 years old, perhaps they are growing weak.

Or perhaps it is only my mind growing weak.