Detecting Last Weekend - More Gold

Reno Chris  

The nuggets was coming so fast it’s like I was fishing one time. That day the fish was biting so good I had to stand behind a tree to bait my hook.

Thanks for the show and tell. 
Chuck 

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Chris I was wondering what your approach is when detecting a new area that has been worked by old timers. I've had better success detecting shallow bedrock with unwashed material that was either just out of reach of the monitors or maybe skipped for some other reason. But I've found gold in exposed bedrock that has worked its way down into cracks, and also tailing piles.

I have your book and it goes over this some, but I'm curious if your approach has changed at all in the past few years.

• Like 1

It just depends on the location. There is very little exposed bedrock at this location and what bedrock there is consists of very well weathered rock. There is no hard,outcropping bedrock as with many streams. I have found gold in the old workings that they just missed as well as along the workings but just outside them and in some place where there are no workings within a couple hundred feet. They tested this are and planned where they would work by panning samples of gravel.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Nice looking gold, you had to do some hard work to get all of that.

Good luck on your next hunt.

That is a stellar weekend, they don't come often like that, especially to me.  Well done, the Good Ol' Gold Monster.

18 hours ago, Reno Chris said:

They tested this are and planned where they would work by panning samples of gravel.

Interesting! So it’s likely very old geologically, right? An old, weathered river channel similar to some of the high channel mines around Galice, OR.

So it’s likely very old geologically, right? An old, weathered river channel

Its an old channel and shoreline area that has weathered and much of the overlying gravel washed away.  The general area is where some of the old tertiary channels emptied out into the basin lakes of the central valley in CA.

• Like 2