6000 Vs 7000: Hot Rocks And Small Gold

20 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I don’t think anything has changed in manufacturing. My guess is some people are more aggressive with coils than others, and that things that really bother some people, go unnoticed by others. Perhaps some tiny variation exists in the sourced parts. I never had an issue with this at all while prototype testing. Then they get out there, and it gets brought up as a major issue in some quarters. Since then, it is something I experienced myself, and is possibly worse now as my rod and cam has worn somewhat? Or am I just more alert to it now? Hard to say, but I do think I’ll drill a lock tab into place at my most common extension point.

A friend of mine bought one of the 1st batch 6000's and I tried to tighten his, full twist on and it still wasn't tightening the lower shaft. My guess was the shaft was slightly smaller diameter than the lock was designed for. My new 6000 is rock solid and once tightened, it stays there. Very happy!

• Like 3

On 5/9/2022 at 4:51 PM, phrunt said:

Man those flies were bad

In all my travels, the worst spots for flies was Oodnadatta (Outback South Australia), Tibooburra (Outback New South Wales) and Halls Creek (Kimberley, Western Australia). The latter took the record, one swipe of yer hand across a backfull and you had a 50+ flies! Love the 'welcome' sign at Glendambo (SA), keeps things in perspective!

welcome to Glendambo.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

You know, I really wish Minelab would make a pinpointer geared specifically for the gold nugget hunters that is ajustable with sensitivity but has the ability to hit tiny pieces of gold and hit them deeper than all other pinpointers. Maybe have a clear tone difference to alert you of wether it is iron trash or non ferrous. The two tones on the profind 35 are to close to really differentiate between them. Maybe a setting for deep mode and interchangeable tips with the standard tip and a tip that is a 2x3 tip. I hope Minelab reads this. I know some that will carry around the nox or monster shortened up to pinpoint the targets, but what a pain in the ass that is. Just saying.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Goldseeker5000 said:

You know, I really wish Minelab would make a pinpointer geared specifically for the gold nugget hunters that is ajustable with sensitivity but has the ability to hit tiny pieces of gold and hit them deeper than all other pinpointers. Maybe have a clear tone difference to alert you of wether it is iron trash or non ferrous. The two tones on the profind 35 are to close to really differentiate between them. Maybe a setting for deep mode and interchangeable tips with the standard tip and a tip that is a 2x3 tip. I hope Minelab reads this. I know some that will carry around the nox or monster shortened up to pinpoint the targets, but what a pain in the ass that is. Just saying.

Not a bad idea. I am not a fan of dragging around the GM when I am out there hiking with the 7000 and digging 2 feet holes. But some sort of collapsible mini-SDC for the pocket would be good to have, especially when using bigger coils that are hard to maneuver in deep holes. Some sort of super pinpointer that can also be used in crevices with much better accuracy. I would not care so much about discrimination, just to better pinpoint the target. I think this is a real market niche. None of the pinpointers that I have used are really that great. I would not mind a higher price if it really would make a difference. I am not that often using pinpointers but I can sure think of situations where a high performing one would come in very handy. But I don't want to be off topic, I know we discussed pinpointers several times already.

GC

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Goldseeker5000 said:

I've been screaming for a prospecting pinpointer, at the moment after using them all I find the XP-Mi4 the best, it lacks the sensitivity I desire although about as sensitive as the other main ones like the Carrot AT, TRX (in a stable sensitivty level) and the Pro Find 35, it works perfectly right next to the GPZ.  The Pro-Find is a bit of rubbush if you ask me, terrible pinpointer, far too unstable. 

Also, I'm confident something has changed with the shafts, the difference between mine and JW's is very obvious.  Like you Aureous I think something has changed, of course Minelab don't want everyone to know that, all the prior owners will be contacting them for a replacement shaft under warranty.

This page from the manual says it all

1239713701_GPXManual.thumb.png.987e922d9ef80ce25e72052793b8d316.png

• Like 2

I have an early 6000 from one of the first US shipments, and I don't have enough problem with shaft twist that it really bugs me. I do find I have to retighten it every so often though. Maybe it's just a manufacturing inconsistency between batches?

Oddly, I had and still have a massive problem with the 7000 shaft twist, to the point I posted at least 5 or 6 times about it back in 2015, but no one else seemed to have the problem or find it to be a bother, so I eventually I stopped mentioning it, it still drives me crazy today though too. It happened on all 3 GPZ's I owned, and also on a replacement shaft.

I think I might also just be increasingly out of touch with the things most the rest of people online find important in the detecting world these days. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, jasong said:

Oddly, I had and still have a massive problem with the 7000 shaft twist, to the point I posted at least 5 or 6 times about it back in 2015, but no one else seemed to have the problem or find it to be a bother, so I eventually I stopped mentioning it, it still drives me crazy today though too. It happened on all 3 GPZ's I owned, and also on a replacement shaft.

Is it your lower shaft that twists? That's strange I've never had any sort of twist on my GPZ's shaft although the little rubber/plastic clips broke on one of my lower shafts clips, Minelab gave me replacements.

14 minutes ago, jasong said:

I have an early 6000 from one of the first US shipments, and I don't have enough problem with shaft twist that it really bugs me. I do find I have to retighten it every so often though.

Exactly my situation. Although I have to admit that if it's not perfectly aligned it drives me nuts. But that's just me.

GC

No, not the lower with the key, it's the...middle I guess? The one you extend. Not sure what to call it. I have to correct it every 10-15 minutes when using the stock (or larger) coils. 

I'm definitely on the upper end of swing speed when I'm prospecting, compared to most people. It's part of the reason I got tennis elbow, and it puts a lot of stress on the shaft and coils when I'm in grasses, etc. But while I've a little twist problem on my 6000, it's not really bad enough for me to personally consider it a problem, as I only need to correct maybe 4 or 5 times a day, vs like 20 times a day with the GPZ.

Clearly something is happening though, if people that didn't notice the shaft twist on the 7000 are all having issues with the 6000. That's what makes me think it's a manufacturing inconsistency, because if anyone should notice it, I would think I would have due to my very fast swing compared to most people I see detecting in the field. Plus I often abuse my coils and just push around grass, bushes, rocks, sticks, etc since I have a harder and harder time getting to the ground these days.

8 minutes ago, Gold Catcher said:

Although I have to admit that if it's not perfectly aligned it drives me nuts. But that's just me.

Me too, I have to have my coils exactly right, I'll correct them if I notice they are even a little off.

• Like 4