6000 Vs 7000: Hot Rocks And Small Gold

My 6 also needs about half a dozen adjustments per day. Its tolerable for now, but Id imagine as the shaft wears and polishes it will become worse? Unfortunately Minelab does not seem to make shafts that last or are consistent.  The worst offender of them all is the sdc 2300 cam locks. All the guys I know have them taped up as they eventually get loose.  I also experienced  the same twist shaft on my 7000. Had it replaced once and then it went out again.  Probably for guys that hunt mild terrain or occasional weekend warriors its ok, but if you use them on a "professional" level or in hard terrain they just dont seem to hold up.

• Like 1

Agree there totally. I think stuff like that probably accounts for a lot of the disparity between reporting things that are or aren't major issues among different people.

An uncomfortable driver's seat can mean two different things to a freight truck driver and a casual commuter. 

• Like 2

The good thing about releasing headphones with a high pitched background hiss to detectorists is most are too old to hear it 🙂

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, WesD said:

My 6 also needs about half a dozen adjustments per day. Its tolerable for now, but Id imagine as the shaft wears and polishes it will become worse? Unfortunately Minelab does not seem to make shafts that last or are consistent.  The worst offender of them all is the sdc 2300 cam locks. All the guys I know have them taped up as they eventually get loose.  I also experienced  the same twist shaft on my 7000. Had it replaced once and then it went out again.  Probably for guys that hunt mild terrain or occasional weekend warriors its ok, but if you use them on a "professional" level or in hard terrain they just dont seem to hold up.

Never had that problem with the old style shafts with adjuster holes and a locking pin, plus a twist lock ! 
Minelab in their " wisdom " decided to do away with a shaft design that had stood the test of time for 20 odd years in favour of these poxy new style camlock shafts ! 🙄

There's an old saying " why mess with perfection " !

Rick

• Like 1

The rod twist is annoying to me. I have to adjust it many times a day. There is one good point to it though on the flip side. I have been side hilling or going down a slope a few times and lost my traction and slipped and fell. When my arm and detector end up hitting the ground, the shaft being loose, I feel keeps things from breaking, like near the coil/ shaft ears. I have to re align the shaft and coil every time I take a fall.

I have had other issues with the 6000. I feel they really took to heart everyone's complaints about the weight of the detectors and with the 6000 being so light I think they designed some things with thin  and narrow tolerances and with lighter plastics. I think a problem with these lighter plastics is they are brittle. A screw worked loose inside the control box and I took the speaker plate off and found the noise flopping around inside. I put the screw back in and tightened it down. I aligned the tab ears into their slots for the hinge and gentle swung it down to begin threading the screw tight and snap!!! One of the tab ears broke off with very light pressure, as I closed the speaker cover. It has been replaced since this. Every time I pick up my 5000 to hunt with, I exhale with delight at how tuff, robust, solid and what a joy it is to hunt with. I don't mind too much that you are tethered to it with cords. The thing is smooth, stable, solid and a joy to hunt with. I am hunting an area now where the magnetite rocks are causing such a huge problem as they are everywhere and I have dug some sweet mellow tones only to find out they are all magnetite rocks. Some have been the size of dinner plates. My next couple days out detecting, the 6000 is staying at camp and I will be hunting with the 5000 and Evo coils.

IMG_20220512_080328381.jpg

• Like 2

Eh? Eh? What did Simon say about pitching his headphones? Can't do that, I need my headphones to hear the signals!  Pitching headphones, indeed!

7 minutes ago, Goldseeker5000 said:

I am hunting an area now where the magnetite rocks are causing such a huge problem as they are everywhere and I have dug some sweet mellow tones only to find out they are all magnetite rocks.

Both the 6000 and 7000 are troubled by similar hot rocks, ones the 4000/4500/5000 and SDC handle with ease in some cases. They can be so prolific as to make detecting with the 6000/7000 near impossible in some locations. There is still a place for a PI with top notch hot rock elimination, and even iron discrimination. The iron disc on the 5000 leaves a lot to be desired, but is far better than nothing in areas littered with surface ferrous trash. Way back before the GPZ ever started, all I wanted was a GPX 5000 in an upgraded physical package, with integrated battery and speaker. But something more like the CTX 3030, lighter than the GPZ 7000, and with a better rod than the GPX 6000.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Way back before the GPZ ever started, all I wanted was a GPX 5000 in an upgraded physical package, with integrated battery and speaker. But something more like the CTX 3030, lighter than the GPZ 7000, and with a better rod than the GPX 6000.

And a bit more focus on EMI shielding. Using the aftermarket shielding for the box combined with moving to a lithium battery makes a huge difference

Yeah, suspect eventually I`ll sell the 7000, the 6000 just suits this old codger better, I know the 6000 trumps the 7000 on my X coils down to the 10" in my countries undisturbed virgin ground with bread and butter scraps, just too comfy and happy with the 6K to swing the 7K, of course that will change if the high grass on my countries deep ground suddenly disappears, than that 17CC X coil on the 7K will become attractive again.  The shaft twisting on my 6K was simply made more acceptable by cutting off a thread or so on the lock nut, plastic has a similar problem to stainless steel, thread galling exaggerated by dry dust. 

• Like 2