6000 Vs 7000: Hot Rocks And Small Gold

5 hours ago, Jim McCulloch said:

Eh? Eh? What did Simon say about pitching his headphones? Can't do that, I need my headphones to hear the signals!  Pitching headphones, indeed!

As we age, it becomes harder for us to hear high frequencies. This is called presbycusis, age-related hearing loss. It is the natural aging of the cells in our ears.  My time will come and I may even have some sort of hearing problem, I like everything loud, always have but I do know it's loud, it feels loud to me too.

It's good when detectors have ways to adjust pitch and tones for this reason.  The Minelab GPX audio should be good I think, I can't imagine anyone would have problems with it unless their hearing loss was very bad.  I just mean my ML-100's have a constant high pitched hiss that starts the moment the detector connects via Bluetooth.  I will connect my ML-80's today and see if they do it too, that'll tell me if its the detector or the headphones generating the hissing sound. I  only just thought of that from this discussion 🙂  It's not the end of the world and doesn't affect performance, it's just an annoyance.  The only other person to say they can hear it is JasonG and I think he's around my age.

• Like 2

My hearing is somehow still great despite a lifetime of playing loud punk rock drums, shooting and using saws and other tools with no ear protection. I hear all sorts of very high pitched noises in buildings, around electrical equipment, etc that other people swear are not there but I can hear plain as day. It drives me crazy in hotel rooms sometimes, things like that where a fridge or TV makes a constant noise and the hotel doesn't believe me. A person's high frequency hearing starts to decline around 20 or so I think, I used to be able to hear a lot more than now. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jasong said:

My hearing is somehow still great despite a lifetime of playing loud punk rock drums, shooting and using saws and other tools with no ear protection. I hear all sorts of very high pitched noises in buildings, around electrical equipment, etc that other people swear are not there but I can hear plain as day. It drives me crazy in hotel rooms sometimes, things like that where a fridge or TV makes a constant noise and the hotel doesn't believe me. A person's high frequency hearing starts to decline around 20 or so I think, I used to be able to hear a lot more than now. 

Same here but operated harvesting machinery most of my working life so far, I’m 33. My last hearing test, the tester was surprised I could still hear the high pitched faint noises the machine created.

I can hear the buzz of a fluorescent light or the high pitched squeal of an older tube type TV, but don’t pick up the hiss that Simon’s talking about, which still tells me there is something wrong with his machine.

• Like 2

I am in my 70,s and can definitely hear the hissing in the ML100 when connected to the 6000 via bluetooth.Though  I have noticed that If I connect the headphones to my mobile phone there is no hissing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Sheppo said:

I can hear the buzz of a fluorescent light or the high pitched squeal of an older tube type TV, but don’t pick up the hiss that Simon’s talking about, which still tells me there is something wrong with his machine.

The headphone hiss isn't being caused by the machine, I checked today by connecting my ML80's off my Equinox and there is no hiss on them, I have 3 sets of ML80's that have never been used so I'll use them until my Torus arrives I guess, it must just be a fault with the ML100 headphones or just some people hear it I don't know.  I'm not all that bothered as I'm looking for a better headphone anyway, I like the fit and feel of the ML100's I'd just want something perhaps not so bulky and with better sound quality, maybe even some sports type ear buds or something.

I'm not headphone expert as I hated the things. Fortunately there are plenty of headphones and buds on the market although very few are APLX LL as its done it's dash already by the looks of it, everything high end now is aptX adaptive and there is LLAC/LHDC LL which is even faster than aptX LL, but aptX adaptive is not backwards compatible with aptX Low Latency and LLAC/LHDC LL wont work with the 6000 either so they'll just run as standard old slow bluetooth connected to the GPX.  Bluetooth 5.2 and 5.3 are hitting devices now too, it's annoying when things are outdated so quickly, but that's progress in electronics for you.

Thank you also Petere, so that's now 3 people that hear the hissing.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, phrunt said:

This is called presbycusis, age-related hearing loss. It is the natural aging of the cells in our ears

Age has not been a big factor for my hearing decline over the years. Instead, an AC/DC concert that I attended with 16 is to blame....🤪

• Haha 2

That's a good point, people with less than optimal hearing may notice the hiss more if they have their threshold turned off.  I wonder if your ocean noise is the same hiss but slightly different with your hearing.  Either way, it's a noise that should not be there on good quality headphones.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

Thank you also Petere, so that's now 3 people that hear the hissing.

I hear the hissing as well, but it actually sounds more like a faint electrical humming noise, but not always. It doesn't really bother me though. And of course, there is the constant ringing in my ears too (hells bells....).

GC

• Like 1