Replace The Equinox Li-ion Battery. Maybe, I Think, Emi

dsb

I have a old EQ, out of warranty.  Seems i have more EMI problems the last year or so.  Been told a battery swap might fix this.  I see them for sale for around $30 bucks but haven't looked at them seriously.  Battery life  seems fine but if i can reduce EMI problems it would be worth it.  Anyone been thru this?  thanks

So...  I don't actually know anything about this.

But, I have a pretty new Nox 800.  And I have definitely noticed that around town, EMI is worse this spring than it was just last fall.  Why?  Don't know.  Some have said perhaps it's the proliferation of 5G stuff going up everywhere.  Maybe.  I can't say.

I'm not just imagining that I have to turn down the sensitivity a few notches lower, than I did six months ago, in the same places though.  Just two days ago, I ran through every frequency, noise cancelling at each one, and couldn't go above 16 sensitivity without the constant audible chuckle of EMI.  As it turned out, at that site, 40kHz is the only single frequency that would even let me run that high.  

Anyway...  I really know nothing about this.  But just on the face of it, considering what a universal issue EMI is, how many people have been trying to deal with it, I'd be flat out amazed to learn that just getting a new battery could make a meaningful difference.

- Dave

• Like 2

The Equinox is a hot detector. 🙂 When faced with EMI issues, the first thing I do is try to find a program that isn't affected as much, next switch to single frequency and find the one unaffected, last turn sensitivity down. I'm in a rural area so it's not as big a problem, but when I go other places that's my order.

IMHO it's voodoo to think that switching out the battery would solve the problem, it would be introducing other risks like making the detector less waterproof, or worst rendering it inoperable. If your Equinox  lasts 8 hours or more on a full charge, the battery is not a concern.

• Like 8

Battery lasts longer then i do for sure.  But i am lowering sensitivity more then ever.  Tried 10hrz in yard and it was OK, took a break and it was opposite. 10hrz was hot and multi worked at about 18-19 sens.   Waiting for my knee to let me venture away from the house, surgery.   I did directional drilling and know how to keep things dry.  And i never dunked my nox, all wading.  I never really bought into the long term submersible use, get a real dive unit if that's your thing..   Not sure whats golng on but a battery swap is worth a try.  And might trade in on a new one.

21 minutes ago, NAGANT said:

Not sure whats golng on but a battery swap is worth a try.  And might trade in on a new one.

I think you'll find every Equinox will have the same "problem", and yes, even in a high EMI place, I can find an angle to the source that doesn't affect the detector much, as you allude to.

I forgot to mention Noise Cancel as the first option I try BTW. I'm assuming you use that first as well. I have this one place I hunt where there is a huge cell tower blasting into the field from a quarter mile away. 10kHz works sometimes, 15 others. As I get further out I change back to Park 1 Multi. A campground I like to hunt forces me to 5kHz some places.

Batteries just don't cause that sort of interference. 🤔 Wherever you got that tip sure wasn't from someone here... DP eats "restroom lawyers" for breakfast. 😀

Cool name you use, is it related to "Mosin" by any chance? 🙂

• Like 2

I got info from a guy that had the problem with both 600 he bought new and an 800 he was given. Will check back and get more info.  He is a youtube gut but really put the time in and is believable.   I noise cancel constantly and ground balance as well where it's bad.  It just is worse since mid 2021.  I broke out my old Tesoro compadre and it is doing fine at home and it was a great lightning detector 😀    Nagant is  close to my last name and i had a few but sold/traded them.  The M91/59 Carbine i sold was the stupidest thing i ever did.  Well it was close.

• Like 1

He thinks his prob was just batteries were draining fast and he has to keep them on  full charge.  Will keep an eye on battery and see if this is my problem.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, NAGANT said:

The M91/59 Carbine i sold was the stupidest thing i ever did.  Well it was close.

I have one. Kicks like a mule but it's a heckuva rifle. Mine was made in 1955 😀

4 hours ago, NAGANT said:

Been told a battery swap might fix this.  I see them for sale for around $30 bucks but haven't looked at them seriously.  Battery life  seems fine but if i can reduce EMI problems it would be worth it.

I know there have been plenty that have changed their batteries. I am doubtful EMI is an issue with batteries that are not at full strength. Really think this would be a reported pattern by now. But hey, nothing would surprise me these days. 

• Like 1

M/N's kick!  Let the stock bolt get loose and every time you work the bolt you push the action forward .  then fire it and it has a head start at your shoulder/manhood.

• Haha 1