Great finds, how many hunts did it take to get all that?

Good luck on your next outing.

Old skelleton key is cool. Like the building dome cut out on it. I found a snake ring just like the one you have that was plated zinc. Typical kiddie bling.

You able to track the owner down for the class ring?

7 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

Great finds, how many hunts did it take to get all that?

Good luck on your next outing.

VL - the old school was 5 or 6 hunts....quite a few hours for the silver. Again, better than most any park up here and about as good as most yards I might access.  

The jewelry was all from one single day hunt at various schools.

ZIncoln

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kac said:

Old skelleton key is cool. Like the building dome cut out on it. I found a snake ring just like the one you have that was plated zinc. Typical kiddie bling.

You able to track the owner down for the class ring?

I found the skeleton key to be kinda funny. It has Washington DC emblazed on it.  It's a modern momento.  I do find a few from the correct era, but not this one.   

Class ring is WIP.  The school not too far away that i expected it to belong to doesn't have anyone graduating that year that corresponds to the initials.  Meaning, it may be from somewhere else in the country.

Zincoln

• Like 1

Great finding an unhunted (or maybe just not very well hunted) old school.  With four Warnicks I'm thinking you must have found quite a few non-silver Jeffersons there, too.  Did you check those date+MM for keys/semi-keys?

I would have expected more Wheaties based on the number of silver coin finds.  Were you digging everything above Zincoln?  Should have been some Indian Head cents, too.

One thing about schools -- if the children attending them didn't have a reason to be carrying coins they can be kinda sparse on oldies.   Maybe it wasn't until ~1960 that they were carrying coins which would explain the lack of IHP's.

GB - I dig everything non ferrous in order to ensure I pull gold.  I did find quite a few nickels, but not many in the 40's and 50's.  Nothing like a 39d or 50d.  Pulled close to $15 in clad.  

I agree on wheat pennies as i generally run 7:1 wheat to silver so this was a very good silver ratio.  Looking back, I only pulled a 13d and a 20 in terms of older wheats.  Seems that even though there was an active boarding school, the ranks were small until they built up the bigger dorms in the late 20s.  Then, they rebuilt in the 50s/60's, and pushed all the dirt around where the original dorms and admin buildings were.  I'm quite certain some goodies are a foot deep, and some under asphalt or existing buildings.  I hit the old ballfield which was nearby in years past and managed around 10 silvers also, with most being 40's and 50s.  I believe this is when the local store was at its peak.  

Our Oregon dirt really puts a stop to you after about 8-9 inches in terms of any valid VDIs, and beyond that items like dimes typically come in as iron.  Don't care what detector or coil you use (though i know the eTrac crowd has had some luck on slightly deeper targets in the parks).  Likely we are still registering them....but you'd dig countless nails to pull the occasional small silver.  I've always loved it when I've gone somewhere with sweet soil and you suddenly find items at 12 inches - whole different world.

I keep hoping for a Barber or IHC, but think after this many hours on the site my odds aren't real good.

Best,
Zincoln

3 hours ago, Zincoln said:

...I generally run 7:1 wheat to silver so this was a very good silver ratio.  Looking back, I only pulled a 13d and a 20 in terms of older wheats.

1913-D (15.8 million) isn't an easy find around here, even back in the early 60's when I searched bank rolls (and never found one).  It's not a key or semi-key, but not until 1916 (36.0 million) did Denver crank out very many cents.

3 hours ago, Zincoln said:

Seems that even though there was an active boarding school, the ranks were small until they built up the bigger dorms in the late 20s.  Then, they rebuilt in the 50s/60's, and pushed all the dirt around where the original dorms and admin buildings were.  I'm quite certain some goodies are a foot deep, and some under asphalt or existing buildings.

Yes, that's a bane of old sites today.  Even when undetected, the chances the oldies are within reach, due to backfilling, often isn't very good.  PI's will reach deep but with their primitive discrimination it can be a daunting effort.  However, that may be the only solution for such sites.

Nice effort to find this spot, and I hope you can squeeze out a few more goodies.  There's an IHP (and maybe a Barber or two) awaiting.

• Like 1