The Gpx6000 Adventure Begins!

26 minutes ago, Aureous said:

One other thing I noticed that others have mentioned is the low quality plastic of the coils, it DOES scratch incredibly easy and even just after 4 hours, there are lotsa marks there after swiping my scoop across the top....I think Simon commented that it seems like recycled ice-cream containers or leftover lego scraps lol. I totally get it now and I might add some tape just to protect it better, looks silly but obviously a practical move....

Yes, the coil surface is susceptible for scratches. I guess a price to pay for low weight. I made myself a habit of not scraping the coil to hard with the scoop, which is also not really needed IMO. I just briefly shake the scoop so the heavies are on the bottom before I lead the scoop over the coil, barely scratching it at all. The detector is so sensitive that the full scoop-coil contact is not needed, not even for recovering tiny flakes. Just my experience.

GC

• Like 3

Nice bunch of gold for the first time out with the 6000. I just got one myself about a week and a half ago after using Steve's for a few days. Really liking it so far and have no problems with its performance. I've been charging my headphones until the light goes soild blue. So if it's different than that I was unaware of the right way to charge them. They have lasted days charging them like that. I also try not to touch the coil with scoop, thinking about putting some tape over the coil or something just to keep it as nice as possible.

• Like 4

Aureous, your rewards parallel my own experience with the 6000, except I haven't had any problems with the detector.  Really like the Bluetooth headphones, the ergonomics, and the super sensitivity.  I am still learning how to pinpoint with the coil and identify targets by the sound tones.  For instance, gold is a soft tone and iron screams and my backward signals have always been iron.  Although, it is a "turn on and go" detector there is a lengthy learning curve.  Liking it so far.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Aureous said:

On the minus side, the threshold needs a control to reduce it....way too much, I'd prefer a whisper of threshold.

I agree. One reason I go without headphones a lot with the 6000 is I run it at lowest volume even then, and it makes the threshold closer to what I want, and I still hear the signals (I hope :smile:). Or its get different headphones with their own volume controls so you can go lower than what the 6000 offers out of box. Or.... go to Auto+ just to get rid of the threshold entirely. But yeah, I wish there was a simple threshold control, if need be as a secondary function. For example, hold backlight button for four seconds, turns volume control into threshold control, or some such thing.

• Like 6

The headphone thing seems to be causing confusion, the headphones are meant to get a solid blue light when charged, I was able to get this to happen once when my headphones had been on the charger overnight and were doing the red/blue thing, I unplugged them and put them on my wifes phone charger and they immediately went solid blue, within 5 minutes on her charger they started doing the red/blue thing again.  They have a faulty charging circuit or something.

The manual states they're meant to go solid blue when charged, and this is exactly what they're meant to do.

Aussiematt, your headphones are faulty, it's as simple as that, so are yours Aureous and everyone else with the red/blue thing, don't let them get away with this crap, get them replaced, yours are DOA Aureous so take them back to the shop today.

Now the other side of this, because the headphones never stop trying to charge it's very well likely we are overcharging them, my charger keeps cycling between no charge current to 0.08amp into the headphones associated with the colour of the lights when they've been charging all night, in turn this is likely overcharging the battery, feel like a house fire from an exploding battery anyone? I'm sure Minelab would love that going down on the history of the GPX, burning down houses! It's possible.  If your headphones do the red/blue thing get them replaced, don't put up with substandard gear and blame it on confusion with the manual.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Or.... go to Auto+ just to get rid of the threshold entirely.

You can also turn the threshold off on any of the manual sensitivity settings by long holding the ground type button. So you can run with or without threshold in manual as well as auto sensitivity settings. But it sure would be nice to have threshold volume adjustment.

• Like 4

The WM12 often keeps flashing even when fully charged, reminds me of the old NiMh batteries of the SDC they would often not show fully charged on the charger yet would be showing as full when put into the detector. In the case of the 7000 I just tell our customers not to worry and go off the internal battery icon when the WM12 is connected, that icon is an accurate indication of the WM 12’s charge state. Unfortunately this is not possible with the GPX6000 headphones as there is no charge state shown on the detectors screen.

I think you can hold the power button on for a long period on the 6000 headphones and do a full reset to factory settings on those too, it might pay to try a full headphone reset and see if that helps. I’ll ask my ML engineer friend who I worked with on the 6000s development for confirmation on the headphone reset but the on/off button is the mostly logical way of doing it. At turn on there is the on start up sound then the BT pairing mode sound and then I suppose if you keep holding the power button in there is a reset mode sometime after that.

JP

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

With the WM12 that seems to be when the battery is starting to deteriorate in older ones and not reaching the expected capacity so it keeps flashing.  Once the battery is replaced in one doing that it goes back to normal and charges properly.

Long holding the power button on the headphones doesn't appear to do a reset, maybe there is a combination of buttons, it'd be good if you can find out if there is a reset procedure. 

12 minutes ago, phrunt said:

With the WM12 that seems to be when the battery is starting to deteriorate in older ones and not reaching the expected capacity so it keeps flashing.  Once the battery is replaced in one doing that it goes back to normal and charges properly.

Long holding the power button on the headphones doesn't appear to do a reset, maybe there is a combination of buttons, it'd be good if you can find out if there is a reset procedure. 

No it doesn’t Phrunt, it does it on new WM12’s as well and I’ve sold hundreds of them so there’s a good chance I might know!🥴 It’s a common cause for concern and as I said above I just inform the customer to not worry about it overly much, if its been on charge over night just go off the battery indicator in the detector menu.

I get days and days of use out of the 6000 BT headphones TBH I don’t think I’ve ever actually had a pair go flat, I just put it on charge occasionally and keep the cable handy as part of my kit just in case. 

JP

Just an update, press and hold the power button for 10 seconds on the headphones, you’ll hear the On beeps, then the pairing mode beeps then another tone after that (double same tone sound from memory). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3