The Gpx6000 Adventure Begins!

6 hours ago, Aureous said:

Simon, I think given that most of everyone gets the same 'symptoms', the issue must be with the manual, not the headphones. If it stays solid blue with a red flash every 60 seconds, its charged. Maybe time will prove us all wrong, but after 12 months of user feedback, I reckon this must be correct.....

Mine doesn't stay solid blue with a red flash every 60 seconds, it flashes blue every 10 or so seconds and spends the rest of the time red.  So perhaps they got the manual wrong 3 times then, first they say the light goes on in the early manual, the current manual says it goes solid blue and the 3rd revision of the manual is going to say it flashes red and blue 🙂

It still doesn't explain why they draw current when they're showing red and maybe the people who's are red charging and solid blue when charged have the faulty ones then?  I'm on a mission to get to the bottom of it 🙂

Do yours have a high pitched hiss when connected to the detector?

19 minutes ago, dig4gold said:

I may have missed something here, but if gold is Au$84.85 a gram, as it was/is today, multiply that by 40 grams = Au$3394.00 Apparently a GPX 6000 is around Au$8000.00 How do you work out it owes you only 40 grams?

D4G

He cashed out his 4500 and some gold for it?

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, phrunt said:

It still doesn't explain why they draw current when they're showing red.

There could be some sort of charge controller/maintainer in the phones and it switches back to red while in float mode when it's maintaining the battery charge when plugged in. Red means charging, so it will draw current during that period, naturally. If this maintaining was happening, the oscillation between red/blue would be somewhat irregular, not always the exact same timing.

• Like 1

Possible, although the timing is consistent and too fast to need a maintenance charge,  It could be that they're a different revision, older headphones when they were prototype testing the detector may have had the light go out, 6 month old models may have had the blue light go solid and the latest revision may flash alternating.  It's really hard to know, some pretty random stuff happens at these Chinese manufacturers, and they're highly likely to be just rebranded Chinese generic headphones like the Nox is using. 

JW's go solid blue when charged, and solid red when charging.

I've ordered the Avantree Torus anyway and I'll try find a brand of headphones that suits me as I think the GPX benefits from headphones, it's a shame as I really like the fit of the ML-100's ,the battery thing isn't so much of an issue as long as it doesn't cause problems, I'm just puzzled by the inconsistencies and why people have all different things happening with theirs.   I'm more worried about the high pitched hiss they have.  I should try JW's and see if he has the hiss, he said he doesn't but everyone's hearing is different and at least then I'd know if the hiss is normal for them.

Sorry to swing your thread into a headphone discussion Aureous.  Hopefully your next outing with the GPX is just as successful as this one was, faults aside the detector itself is pretty awesome and if all your days are as good as that one you'll have your goal of paying off the GPX done pretty quickly.  I know how well you did with your 24k, and your GPX should produce the goods too so please do your gold found posts so we can follow your progress, maybe we need to get the tally going to record your statistics 🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dig4gold said:

I may have missed something here, but if gold is Au$84.85 a gram, as it was/is today, multiply that by 40 grams = Au$3394.00 Apparently a GPX 6000 is around Au$8000.00 How do you work out it owes you only 40 grams?

D4G

I already had value tied up in my other detectors which were for sale, so all I needed was $3K (which I paid for in saved gold). Rough scrap value is AU$80 per gram so I rounded it up to 40 grams to keep track. I bought a box n screen cover set also which was $100.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, phrunt said:

Do yours have a high pitched hiss when connected to the detector?

No, just a mosquito-like whine when the headphones are really close to detector. In normal use, no background noise at all...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

Sorry to swing your thread into a headphone discussion Aureous.  Hopefully your next outing with the GPX is just as successful as this one was, faults aside the detector itself is pretty awesome and if all your days are as good as that one you'll have your goal of paying off the GPX done pretty quickly.  I know how well you did with your 24k, and your GPX should produce the goods too so please do your gold found posts so we can follow your progress, maybe we need to get the tally going to record your statistics 🙂

All good mate, I think we all need to know our expensive new toy is working to spec. I almost had a dud day today, tried the 6000 at a different spot where I got a heap of small gold in 2020/21 and aside from one tiny .05gm bit, all I got was 62 bits of lead shot + a few other random bits of junk....all targets I missed and any one of which coulda been gold. But, the ground here is very shallow so perhaps I shouldn't be too surprised. I'll dodge the rain tomorrow and go to a different spot....I'm trying to get a feel for the right ground conditions and I should get the tally running better soon. 

• Like 2

I already had value tied up in my other detectors which were for sale, so all I needed was $3K (which I paid for in saved gold). Rough scrap value is AU$80 per gram so I rounded it up to 40 grams to keep track. I bought a box n screen cover set also which was $100. 

Not the first but all upgrades of gold equipment. I like to pay with the finds of previous equipment. That way the hobby has paid for it self. .........   A fact, it seem, most top of the line Gold Detectors release price seems to be about 4 Ounces over the 40+ years.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Aureous said:

one tiny .05gm bit, all I got was 62 bits of lead shot

This really confuses me as it is what I am finding too (although your ratio for today is quite extreme unfortunately!).  

Why is the GPX6 picking up all of this lead shot that has been previously missed but not getting a similar amount of missed, small gold? 

Or perhaps the question is, why did the previous detectors miss a lot of the lead shot but seemingly found the majority of the gold?  

It perplexes me  🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Northeast said:

This really confuses me as it is what I am finding too (although your ratio for today is quite extreme unfortunately!).  

Why is the GPX6 picking up all of this lead shot that has been previously missed but not getting a similar amount of missed, small gold? 

Or perhaps the question is, why did the previous detectors miss a lot of the lead shot but seemingly found the majority of the gold?  

It perplexes me  🤷‍♂️

Because the GPX has a very loud target response on small very close to the coil targets, the very loud response it has falls away quickly as they get deeper.  It's hyper sensitive to targets close to the coil.   Gold gives a much better target response than pellets so the other detectors likely got it, those round lead targets are hard to hit, especially smaller ones but the GPX likes them.

• Like 2