The Gpx6000 Adventure Begins!

1 minute ago, phrunt said:

the very loud response it falls away quickly as they get deeper.

Yeah, that was my thinking too.  I nearly posed this question last night when Aureous put up his gold/lead tally but thought better of it.  

Lead shot is more likely to be closer to the surface and therefore get the hit whereas the gold being a bit deeper, does not.  But it is still a crazy ratio.  And it's amazing that a 7000, 5000 or Aureous's modded 4500 with a spiral coil didn't pick up at least some of those 62 bits he got today.  

👍

• Like 3

#9 lead shot is 0.047 of a gram, the GPX 6000 will not get a response from a #9 shot even touching the coil, yet it'll find 0.047 of a gram nuggets all day long easily with quite a decent target response at pretty good depth.

I'm sure my GPZ would have picked up many of those pellets his 6000 got, but the stock 7000 coil isn't too sensitive to smaller lead pellets though with minimal depth on them and the 4500 isn't too sensitive to many pellets at all, mostly the steel ones get sucked up by it with ease and the larger size lead ones.

I'm surprised his 24k didn't get them all though 🙂

Shotgun pellets might get refreshed too, they sure do around here, just when you think they're all gone more appear 🙂

All detectors love the modern steel ones.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, phrunt said:

#9 lead shot is 0.047 of a gram, the GPX 6000 will not get a response from a #9 shot even touching the coil, yet it'll find 0.047 of a gram nuggets all day long easily with quite a decent target response at pretty good depth.

I'm sure my GPZ would have picked up many of those pellets his 6000 got, but the stock 7000 coil isn't too sensitive to smaller lead pellets though with minimal depth on them and the 4500 isn't too sensitive to many pellets at all, mostly the steel ones get sucked up by it with ease and the larger size lead ones.

I'm surprised his 24k didn't get them all though 🙂

Shotgun pellets might get refreshed too, they sure do around here, just when you think they're all gone more appear 🙂

All detectors love the modern steel ones.

Yeah thats quite true, the lead shot size versus same gold size (weight) provide a different target response for sure.... the gold is denser perhaps, giving a much better eddy current to the receive circuit on the detector. Just my educated guess... My modded 4500 with the 9" Elite mono could ping lead shot down to No.7.5 but some I got with the 24K, the 4500M couldnt get at all. I have tested several 6's and 7.5's that sound way better than others and at a guess, I'd say they have higher antimony % alloyed with the lead. 

The 24K could easily get 50% of  the lead shot I found today (less than an inch depth) but, the noise from a high frequency VLF is very tiresome after a few hours....

• Like 2

I found that small lead pellets that are buried for a long time have a thick oxide layer on them which might effect their eddy currents, requiring a more sensitive detector to small buried targets to pick them up.

• Like 6

Not all lead shot of equal size has equal composition. The non toxic shot is made of a wide range of varying alloys and even plastics. Some detectors miss some of these entirely, while other detectors can hear certain ones but not others.

This is a big reason some places light up with new shot when using a new detector. They look like lead by eye, but they aren't necessarily lead and their conductivity is highly variable. At least, in the US this is the case, not sure about what is used overseas.

Non-toxic shot types approved by the US Fish and Wildlife Service[19]
Approved shot type Percent composition by weight
Bismuth-tin 97% bismuth, and 3% tin
Iron (steel) Iron and carbon
Iron-tungsten Any proportion of tungsten, and >1% iron
Iron-tungsten-nickel >1% iron, any proportion of tungsten, and up to 40% nickel
Tungsten-bronze 51.1% tungsten, 44.4% copper, 3.9% tin, and 0.6% iron, or 60% tungsten, 35.1% copper, 3.9% tin, and 1% iron
Tungsten-iron-copper-nickel 40–76% tungsten, 10–37% iron, 9–16% copper, and 5–7% nickel
Tungsten-matrix 95.9% tungsten, 4.1% polymer
Tungsten-polymer 95.5% tungsten, 4.5% Nylon 6 or Nylon 11
Tungsten-tin-iron Any proportions of tungsten and tin, and >1% iron
Tungsten-tin-bismuth Any proportions of tungsten, tin, and bismuth.
Tungsten-tin-iron-nickel 65% tungsten, 21.8% tin, 10.4% iron, and 2.8% nickel
Tungsten-iron-polymer 41.5–95.2% tungsten, 1.5–52.0% iron, and 3.5–8.0% fluoropolymer
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Fantastic, you're on a roll! Let's hope it continues.  37 grams to go, should have that cleaned up in a month or so with any luck at this rate. 🙂

• Like 2

Back in the day, most people could not register a shot gun pellet. The old Garrett's, Whites etc technology allowed 😉 you to chase gold not lead. This modern tech needs to follow suit. 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

I am wondering more and more...how will the various aftermarket GPX6000 elliptical coils sound? With the narrow field width, I am anticipating a sharper signal on smaller targets....the 11" is so mild with audio response (but still obvious) that I'm hoping the NF 12x7 will be sharper...

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Aureous said:

I am wondering more and more...how will the various aftermarket GPX6000 elliptical coils sound? With the narrow field width, I am anticipating a sharper signal on smaller targets....the 11" is so mild with audio response (but still obvious) that I'm hoping the NF 12x7 will be sharper...

This video might give you a bit of an idea, it's a 10x6"

For small nuggets regardless of coil brand I think we're in for a treat when it comes to these smaller coils on little gold, I only wish my GPX had the stable operation of this one in the video.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1