The Gpx6000 Adventure Begins!

Outstanding audio response! My 6000 sounds very similar, quite calm and stable....although today I was at a high EMI area due to a power line about 50m away. I might trial the 14DD tomorrow and see how well it handles underneath the powerline. 

• Like 2

On 5/11/2022 at 4:05 AM, geof_junk said:

I found that small lead pellets that are buried for a long time have a thick oxide layer on them which might effect their eddy currents, requiring a more sensitive detector to small buried targets to pick them up.

Yes, this. Clean lead is one thing, but since this game is about surface eddy currents, the surface skin is the key. Lead will turn almost pure white with time, and create a thick oxide layer. Gold on the other hand is incorruptible, and if anything impurities may leach out, creating a pure gold skin. I suspect small pure lead pellets may sometimes convert completely in some soils, turning into lead oxide pellets, and become undetectable in the process. From https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/chemical-engineering/lead-oxide

"Since lead oxides are semiconductors, their conductivity depends on the defects in their crystal lattice. These defects in turn depend on the method of oxide preparation, i.e., on the oxide history. This fact has been neglected, which is the reason for the substantial differences in the literature data for the specific conductivity of lead oxides."

3-s2.0-B978044459552200002X-f02-21-97804

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

The DD is still very sensitive to the small targets, JW has found very small nuggets with reasonable depth with his DD and we were both surprised with the first nugget he ever found with it, it was very small, I'd guess around 0.03X of a gram.  He's forced to use it at the moment with his 11" away for warranty still and he's still doing well, and now he's got a very stable detector.    The last place we went to he knew I'd have difficulties with my GPX and would struggle with it as he'd had his there, while the power lines are not all that close they're big transmission lines and about 500 meters away I'd guess.  His GPX with DD was nice and stable, mine with the 11" was a nightmare where I thought I'd wear a hole through my noise cancel button as I struggle with unstable detectors, I'm just not good with them.  Next time I'll be using the GPZ which isn't bothered at all even right up near the lines, it's the general area the GPZ/8" coil found me the 4.1 gram nugget a couple of weeks ago, how that lasted there that long is a mystery.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Jonathan Porter said:

I don't know if my poor knees could handle all that up-and-down up-and-down!! 😬

Au reckoned you`d fly with the 6K, tis a magic machine

Aye JP, my mind is thinking of that proposed NF 8x6, but my knees are saying no way.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Only spent about 3 hours this afternoon for 4 bits, all with the 14DD....total was only .5gm. Doing testing under powerlines plus cross-testing my 11" mono with a mates 11" mono coz he thought his was noisy. Turns out it was....now on its way back to ML for a replacement. But...the test spot under the powerlines was a big surprise! Only 20 minutes and I got 5 signals, 2 were gold so I'm heading back there if the rain doesn't interfere tomorrow. 36.7gm to go.....

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Aureous said:

Only spent about 3 hours this afternoon for 4 bits, all with the 14DD....total was only .5gm. Doing testing under powerlines plus cross-testing my 11" mono with a mates 11" mono coz he thought his was noisy. Turns out it was....now on its way back to ML for a replacement.

That 14" DD might turn out to be a secret weapon for power lines spots.  It's a sensitive sucker.  I certainly won't be scared to use it thinking my performance will suffer much.

So far you've dodged a bullet getting a reliable working GPX, as you can see by your friends one it's a real gamble.  I think Minelab need to change their slogan from Performance is Everything to Performance maybe Everything, but Quality should matter too 😛

You're going to have to work twice as hard tomorrow you've shot under par with half a gram today! 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

That 14" DD might turn out to be a secret weapon for power lines spots.

I think a 6" X 10" DD would be an absolute cracker.   Hot ground, light weight, power lines, tight spaces - would be a beauty.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

So far you've dodged a bullet getting a reliable working GPX, as you can see by your friends one it's a real gamble.

I agree, its a damn calm, smooth machine and everything works! 

"You're going to have to work twice as hard tomorrow you've shot under par with half a gram today!"

I promise I'll get into 'production mode' tomorrow just so I don't disappoint anyone... :biggrin:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The march continues! Another 8 bits for the kitty...1.3 grams. Im up to 4.6gm now. 35.4gm to go. 31 bits in only 6 afternoons, 24 hours spent detecting. I also found a 1927 silver threepence today which was a nice surprise....

IMG_20220515_190924.jpg

• Like 8
  • Oh my! 1