The Gpx6000 Adventure Begins!

Congratulations on your finds; you're surely learning that detector and well on your way to getting it interconnected with your brain.

Nice to see more people are having success with the machine and nicely done on your part to have figured out how to operate it so well. (I understand that compared to its predecessors, it's a far shallower learning curve?)

All the best,

Lanny

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lanny said:

Congratulations on your finds; you're surely learning that detector and well on your way to getting it interconnected with your brain.

Nice to see more people are having success with the machine and nicely done on your part to have figured out how to operate it so well. (I understand that compared to its predecessors, it's a far shallower learning curve?)

All the best,

Lanny

Cheers....yes the finds are coming consistently but all small gold so far, testament to its design parameters I suppose. Yes, I feel that the 6000 and me are now ONE. Super easy to use and I expect that I'm one of the lucky ones  with a good detector and extra quiet 11" coil. Can't wait to start using the NF 12x7 when its available. 

• Like 2

Can you put up a video of your threshold at some point? It's not that I don't believe you it's more that I want to know what is considered a super quiet threshold on the GPX.  I can't get its threshold anywhere near as stable as my GPX 4500, 5000 or GPZ 7000, not even close even if I dumb it right down to minimum sensitivity it's still a noisy beast.  The videos I've seen on Youtube seem to be similar to mine and JW's one seemed just as bad as mine to me when I borrowed it to compare to mine.

It could just be that we all have a different definition of a stable threshold I guess.  I see a lot of people say the SDC 2300 is a ratty noisy detector yet others say it purrs like a kitten so I think some of it is how much noise a person tolerates.

Mine maybe noisy as all hell but you can still hear the small shallow dinks over it as they scream out.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, phrunt said:

Can you put up a video of your threshold at some point? It's not that I don't believe you it's more that I want to know what is considered a super quiet threshold on the GPX.

Video? Yeah, will do that soonish... My modded 4500 was a pure threshold kitten...purring without barely a bump most days. The 6000 aint that though....very warbly and not even whatsoever. BUT, mine is quiet compared to 3 other 6000's Ive heard personally in the past 12 months. :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Aureous said:

Video? Yeah, will do that soonish... My modded 4500 was a pure threshold kitten...purring without barely a bump most days. The 6000 aint that though....very warbly and not even whatsoever. BUT, mine is quiet compared to 3 other 6000's Ive heard personally in the past 12 months. :rolleyes:

I think the difference is the coils, as JW was commenting his new replacement 11" coil which arrived Friday just in time for our Saturday hunt was working really well, and he didn't need to do a factory reset all day yesterday and to be honest mine was a piece of crap working the same area at the same time as him and I hated using it and he only did a few noise cancels although they weren't desperately needed, yet his old coil he was needing factory resets a lot and noise cancelling often, in fact it died when he did a factory reset to try calm it down coming up with the coil error on the restart.   That's why I want to buy an aftermarket coil ASAP to see if things improve with mine as at this point I really don't enjoy using it when I can use the GPZ with it's wonderful stability by comparison.  I just don't understand this easy expert rubbish, it's one of the hardest detectors to use I own with how unstable it can be and it would confuse a beginner beyond belief.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, phrunt said:

I just don't understand this easy expert rubbish, it's one of the hardest detectors to use I own with how unstable it can be and it would confuse a beginner beyond belief

Yes, I can see that happening if a rank beginner thought all that noise was normal. I saw a lot of the same stuff when the gold monster was released! Easy to use but how do you determine a signal among all that noise? I'd love to be able to pull a 6000 coil apart and check the shielding strength and screen wire position etc. Betcha its woeful.... The original South Korean factory that made all the Commander coils got it perfect....if the new coils are made elsewhere (Malaysia??), I reckon they are rank amateurs at the job.... just guessing though. 

• Like 3

Another recent experience (that others have talked about) is the 'disappearing target'. Apparent, shallow'ish (all less than 2" deep) signal that vanishes once dug... I've had to give up on 3 of these now. I'm strongly anticipating that these are tiny iron/steel wire fragments that need to be oriented correctly for the signal to appear. Once dug, the orientation changes and the signal evaporates.... I hope :dry:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, phrunt said:

I think the difference is the coils, as JW was commenting his new replacement 11" coil which arrived Friday just in time for our Saturday hunt was working really well...

Why not just toss JW's new coil on your 6000 in the same spot, should be able to tell pretty quickly if there is an issue.

I think the real strength of the 6000 is just running it in Auto+ with no threshold and using it for prospecting/exploring for the easier targets, covering ground. Usually they are 50%+ of targets in new spots, especially where bedrock is shallow, so can be cleaned up quick with the 6000. Don't really need to listen for every tiny faint threshold warble doing that, bring the GPZ in later for that. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Aureous said:

Another recent experience (that others have talked about) is the 'disappearing target'. Apparent, shallow'ish (all less than 2" deep) signal that vanishes once dug... I've had to give up on 3 of these now. I'm strongly anticipating that these are tiny iron/steel wire fragments that need to be oriented correctly for the signal to appear. Once dug, the orientation changes and the signal evaporates.... I hope :dry:

You are right, I had tiny screen wire bits do that and they kept reappearing as I disturbed the pile. Then I ran my magnet across it and found the bit of wire.

• Like 2