The Gpx6000 Adventure Begins!

38 minutes ago, jasong said:

Why not just toss JW's new coil on your 6000 in the same spot, should be able to tell pretty quickly if there is an issue.

I think the real strength of the 6000 is just running it in Auto+ with no threshold and using it for prospecting/exploring for the easier targets, covering ground. Usually they are 50%+ of targets in new spots, especially where bedrock is shallow, so can be cleaned up quick with the 6000. Don't really need to listen for every tiny faint threshold warble doing that, bring the GPZ in later for that. 

Interesting idea, certainly would increase the area one can cover in a day, making the chance of finding something a bit more. But it would also be like turning up the speed to high on the treadmill! 😉

Yes I should have borrowed JW's coil for a bit but I didn't know his was operating so nicely until the end of the day when we were driving home 🙂 Maybe next time that'd be worth trying although the Coilteks should be out very soon and we're coming into ski season so my GPX will be put in the cupboard for a few months.

That's odd the theory about the little wire segments, I've not found one with the GPX yet as they're not all that common here and I've not put near enough hours on it but on the GPZ wire sings out like Tina Turner a few too many drinks, it's one of those targets that shocks you how small it is for how loud the signal response is.

Same with the little metal shards I was finding the other day with the GPZ, much smaller than a pellet but a lot better signal than a pellet gets.

I've lots to learn yet on the GPX.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, GotAU? said:

But it would also be like turning up the speed to high on the treadmill!

The 6k will miss targets when swinging to fast. Put the treadmill on low and you will pick up gold that you would otherwise have missed.😁For ground coverage, use the 17 but still swing slowly.

GC

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I wish the 6000 had some settings, I liked the motion setting on the older GPX models, I was quite surprised most people just banged it on Very slow and left it as that forever, fast actually gives better results on small targets and no doubt bigger deeper ones too but lets in more EMI so you had to be in the right area to speed the motion up, it also allows you to swing faster so it's very beneficial, never understood why whenever you see peoples settings they're always on very slow.

I guess Geosense is meant to do all of this for us, it just doesn't seem possible that it could, I can't imagine the GPX has a motion sensor checking our swing speed.

I've noticed the GPX 6000 easily misses small targets if you sweep too fast over them.

• Like 2

On 5/29/2022 at 3:14 PM, phrunt said:

Can you put up a video of your threshold at some point?

How a GPX6000 is supposed to sound

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Thanks so much for doing that Aureous, I really appreciate the time you took to do that.  Ok, so it's a bit better than mine but that could just be due to locations I'm detecting with EMI around.  Mine certainly has its good days and bad days I guess I've just been so spoilt with the consistency of the GPZ threshold where every day is the same and it's just so much more stable overall.  

I hope mine improves a bit with a smaller coil taking in less EMI, and I can see a concentric coil for mine in my future which WILL make it run smoother.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, phrunt said:

Thanks so much for doing that Aureous, I really appreciate the time you took to do that.  Ok, so it's a bit better than mine but that could just be due to locations I'm detecting with EMI around.  Mine certainly has its good days and bad days I guess I've just been so spoilt with the consistency of the GPZ threshold where every day is the same and it's just so much more stable overall.  

I hope mine improves a bit with a smaller coil taking in less EMI, and I can see a concentric coil for mine in my future which WILL make it run smoother.

Have you tried the 14" DD in your EMI areas? Instead of pushing the mono continually to try to get it to a point where you don't appear you will ever be happy with it because of EMI. That is what the DD is for. I think you have more than proved to yourself, & us, that the 11" mono isn't happy in the environment you continue to keep tying it.

D4G

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dig4gold said:

Have you tried the 14" DD in your EMI areas? Instead of pushing the mono continually to try to get it to a point where you don't appear you will ever be happy with it because of EMI. That is what the DD is for. I think you have more than proved to yourself, & us, that the 11" mono isn't happy in the environment you continue to keep tying it.

You're right there, my best option is switching to the DD but the problem with that is its a pretty big coil and there are no smaller DD options, it'd be cool if Coiltek and NF duplicated their Mono GPX coil sizes and also made them in a DD, the 10x5" DD would be ideal for me.  Even if Minelab released an 11" DD it'd be better than the 14".  It always comes down to lack of coil choices! 🙂

• Like 2

But... have you even tried the 14" DD? You will never know if you have never tried it. It is what it is there for & you have paid for it as part of your 6000 kit. The 14" will go deeper than a smaller coil & you may surprise yourself with its ability. Why are you so reluctant to use it?

D4G

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, dig4gold said:

But... have you even tried the 14" DD? You will never know if you have never tried it. It is what it is there for & you have paid for it as part of your 6000 kit. The 14" will go deeper than a smaller coil & you may surprise yourself with its ability. Why are you so reluctant to use it?

I will give it a try next time I go out.  Thanks for the advice and you're no doubt right.