The Gpx6000 Adventure Begins!

That's about $25/hour.  Is that good for gold detecting? Or just good for having gone over it with other detectors in the past?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cal_Cobra said:

That's about $25/hour.  Is that good for gold detecting? Or just good for having gone over it with other detectors in the past?

Depends where you live, a guy that used to use this forum Davsgold is in Western Australia at the moment for example with his GPZ, he's getting many grams a day and only doing a few hours detecting most days and will come home with many ounces for a month or two away and he's always got the possibility of a multi ounce nugget so for someone in that situation they'd be disappointed getting the smaller amounts, for me however the amount Aureous has done is a great achievement, and I wouldn't be able to do the same in the hours he's spent doing it here with my skill level and places I go to.   I think in many places to enjoy gold hunting you've got to expect you may not make a profit and you do it for the fun of it and the thrill of the finds, Australia in some areas is likely the main exception to that rule.  Coin and jewellery hunting is the one where the finds are easier, without a doubt.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, phrunt said:

Depends where you live, a guy that used to use this forum Davsgold is in Western Australia at the moment for example with his GPZ, he's getting many grams a day and only doing a few hours detecting most days and will come home with many ounces for a month or two away and he's always got the possibility of a multi ounce nugget so for someone in that situation they'd be disappointed getting the smaller amounts, for me however the amount Aureous has done is a great achievement, and I wouldn't be able to do the same in the hours he's spent doing it here with my skill level and places I go to.   I think in many places to enjoy gold hunting you've got to expect you may not make a profit and you do it for the fun of it and the thrill of the finds, Australia in some areas is likely the main exception to that rule.  Coin and jewellery hunting is the one where the finds are easier, without a doubt.

Thanks for the reply Simon.  I've never gold prospected, so I'm just trying to wrap my head around what one considers successful. Everyone's after the whoppers out there, they do get found, but I guess that's mostly a bonus when it occurs for most hunters 🙂  Kind of like when we find a gold coin or rare date/mint silver coin at an old site, but plenty of other relic finds keep us content, and coming back for more. 

• Like 1

There is a reason most gold prospectors are weirdo's 🙂

• Haha 1

You will earn more as a council worker for the year than detecting except for short bonuses with a good nugget. It takes a lot of skunk days finding a patch, than even with a dozen nuggets at 0.4 grams (not 0.04) each day, you just beat the ounce a week and how long does the the patch last. Let face it, it's a far more enjoyable than working for a boss those. 

• Like 4

Costs for me are low, even with the high price of fuel at the moment. I spend maybe $10 most days to get to my local Goldfields each time, thats all. Then, once a week or two, I'll travel an hour at most to get a change of scenery and reminisce about my old spots from decades ago. Ive gotten gold on every spot with the 6000. In fact, Ive never had a dud day with the 6K since Ive owned it. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

GPX6000 junk reality.....GPX6000 junk

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Aureous said:

GPX6000 junk reality.....GPX6000 junk

haha for a second there I thought you were talking about the detector itself until the video popped up 😛  I thought you'd joined the faulty club.

Not a bad junk collection.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, phrunt said:

I think in many places to enjoy gold hunting you've got to expect you may not make a profit and you do it for the fun of it and the thrill of the finds, Australia in some areas is likely the main exception to that rule

That's why I haven't thus far come across a "professional" detectorist here in the US who is not living full time in a tent.....unless of course you have some sort of other income, like being a detector dealer.

GC

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gold Catcher said:

That's why I haven't thus far come across a "professional" detectorist here in the US who is not living full time in a tent.....unless of course you have some sort of other income, like being a detector dealer.

GC

Most serious detectorists who are 'pro' have a secondary income. A bad month could provide you with a 6 foot hole otherwise....

• Like 2