Old Plate From A Selden

• The title was changed to Old Plate From A Selden

I think that plate is above a lot of coins I’ve found depending their age.

Great find!

Chuck 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That is really neat.

• Thanks 1

Definitely a rare find, as there are probably very few of the actual cars still in existence!  I don't think we will probably ever see another detected one! Let alone one of the actual cars!👍👍

• Like 1

Great finds, why did you give him the plate, it is really nice and I have never seen anything like that before.

Good luck out there and get some good coins.

Permission hunts I give all the finds I get, detect for the fun of it not to keep the finds.

I figure most those vehicles are long rotted away, they were basically wood carriages. Probably a few in museums.

• Like 1

Here's a good article about the company.  From the article:

The patent

Selden, with the help of a couple of machinists, developed a 400-pound engine based on the Brayton engine and applied for a patent in 1879 which included a 4-wheeled vehicle with a steering wheel, clutch and brake.

Being an experienced patent attorney, Selden periodically filed amendments to the application and it remained “patent pending” until a patent was finally issued in late 1895(emphasis mine)

Sounds like Selden was more famous for lawsuits against Ford claiming patent infringement.  Here's a brief Wikipedia article.  From that:

The company produced cars for only three years, from 1909 through 1912. In 1913 the company was reorganized towards the production of trucks, where it had significantly more success, producing trucks until the company's sale to the Hahn Motor Truck Company of Hamburg, Pennsylvania, in 1930. Hahn and Selden went out of business in 1932.

Gotta think someone would relish that plate.  I agree with others that there can't be too many survivors.  Hundreds of automobile companies (including auto parts manufacturers) were popping up all over USA and Europe in the 1890's through 1920's and it's no surprise that only a few handfuls survived.  This one made it all the way to the Great Depression which took out so many businesses producing all kinds of products.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Plate was near the main house in the front, my guess it was parked there at some point. Surprised it wasn't lost as they have a septic system so much of the front was dug up. Owner will be redoing the system soon and we are invited back when they start digging to see if there is anything left in that area. They also have a dirt cellar to detect and a barn with dirt cellar that they are cleaning out and have an opportunity to search that too.

• Like 4

One of the coolest plates I have ever seen, I hope the person you gave it to realizes how rare it is and keeps it or gives it to someone that values it.