Iron Relics With Digital Detectors

I've dug a lot of iron relics with a Tejon I use to have. It gave a high tone on iron larger than a nail. With the Tejon you can usually tell by the tone that it's iron and can dig it or not.

I was complaining awhile back about digital detectors not giving a high tone on iron relics smaller than a horseshoe.

I have a degree in Electronic Engineering Technology and have now figured out these digital detectors how to get the iron relics. Take the Legend for example. Nails disc out at 6-7. Bigger iron than a nail has a lower iron id. Large iron like a horseshoe has a higher id.

So if I want to dig iron relics with a digital detectors, just dig the iron signals that don't id as a nail lol. So having an Engineering degree I just figured out how to dig iron relics with a digital detector lol. The Equinox and Orx work the same way. Imagine that.

So if you're not finding much, dig some iron. You never know what you will find.

• Like 5

I like to dig big iron on relic sites. About half the time it is something interesting, plus it gets a big shadow out of the way.

I set my first tone break right at the common nails. To me big iron is easy, especially compared to trying to work thru Aluminum trash. Some detectors are more telling than others but they all will show it up.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Rick N. MI said:

I'm used to finding iron relics with a Tejon I used to have, that gave a high tone on iron larger than a nail. With the Tejon you usually tell by tone that it's iron and can dig it or not.

I was complaining awhile back about digital detectors not giving a high tone on iron relics smaller than a horseshoe.

I have a degree in Electronic Engineering Technology and have now figured out these digital detectors how to get the iron relics. Take the Legend for example. Nails disc out at 6-7. Bigger iron than a nail has a lower iron id. Large iron like a horseshoe has a higher id.

So if I want to dig iron relics with a digital detectors, just dig the iron signals that don't id as a nail lol. So having an Engineering degree I just figured out how to dig iron relics with a digital detector lol. The Equinox and Orx work the same way. Imagine that.

So if you're not finding much, dig some iron. You never know what you will find.

Business degree here. Not much desire for iron relics. I dig enough by accident.

Not profitable! Will never intentionally dig iron.

I know there are some who never want to dig any iron. True there not worth much.

• Like 1

The Tejon gives a noticeable dip in the tone roll especially on bigger iron. If you are iron hunting with the Tejon the 10x12 wide scan dd is a good coil. If your trying to pick out non iron objects out of iron infestation then the 8x9 concentric is the choice. Tejon hits gold and silver with a softer smoother tone than mid conductors. I only have 2 Tesoro machines. The Cibola with a tiny dd coil is killer in parks for picking out pocket change especially copper and silver. It does not have the nuances the Tejon has.

Interesting. My problem is the opposite. Digging big iron at depth that sounds good, when I really don’t want to. Plenty of hardened steel items ring up high, like ax heads for instance, or plate steel, large washers, etc.. The Equinox, in particular, when it came out, had me digging way too much ferrous, until the new Iron Bias settings were introduced.

• Like 2

It comes down to where you live and what you can find. 

• Like 2

I will dig as much iron as I want to carry, some of the fields I hunt are huge. I found a small pistol butt plate recently, may go back and look for the pistol. Same goes for a spot in the river where I scooped a Brown Bess butt plate, I'd like to find the rest of the rifle. That will be a tough one as I have to hit the tide just right, or the water has to be warm enough. When it's warm enough it is usually full of jellyfish. 🤬

• Like 1
  • Oh my! 1