Back To The New Permission, Got Some Coins

4 hours ago, rod-pa said:

F350, i think you are right to stay with your Nox.  use the Deus on sites you already know so you learn it well on known ground. I hate the thought of missing an item or two  that maybe the Deus might do better on than the Nox, but if you arent hearing the Deus tones as well as the Nox yet...probably way more you will walk over with the Deus.  My opinion.  Good luck to you on your search, man.

Thanks! I'll probably go up and down that whole road a section at a time, it's probably a mile and a half or so. Not going to get the whole thing in before the corn is too tall. 🤬

I feel like I'm doing fine with the Deus 2 but because the Equinox has known IDs for certain things it's useful in some places here. It's also good to "mix it up", I don't want to lose my experience with the Equinox. 🙂

I got one large cent at about 8" with the Deus, the other I got with the Equinox, it was about 10". They're big high conductors so they were distinct in both machines.

Silver, being the easiest to find, is scarce here. It's not so much because it's been cherry picked but more because people here didn't have a lot of it. 🤔 I can't think of a place other than the few gated communities that doesn't overlook a farm, it's been that way for almost 400 years. I find almost as much Spanish silver as US silver coins! 😀

• Like 2

Some cool finds there. I had to do a double take on the locket. You can see a 194_ date coming through on the back side of it. The large cent is always a good hit. I like V nickels but mine are usually are more corroded than the one you got. That should clean up fairly well.

• Like 1

On 5/12/2022 at 9:15 PM, F350Platinum said:

Above the D buckle is the coolest token I have ever found, they're pretty common according to Numista....

I've found a lot of those (I could count, but I'm going to estimate 15-20) in a particular park.  I suspect they were arcade tokens.  Mine aren't very old (again, my WAG is 1980's and later).  Yours might be an earlier version, though.

On 5/13/2022 at 9:03 PM, schoolofhardNox said:

You can see a 194_ date coming through on the back side of it.

Good eye.  Apparently they used an authentic Lincoln cent as a die.  Interesting are those X's and a few other marks apparent on the back but not on the front (other than the X's).  I wonder if they tried to hammer out other details of the cent's obverse.

Good finds as always, F350, and thanks for your honest comparison between the two detectors.  I wish Chase would say more but either he hasn't had enough experience with the Deus 2 yet to speak confidently or he's saving up his comments for Sabisch's book (probably the former).

BTW, you say there are no ghost towns in your area.  Is that based upon research or impressions as you drive around, etc.?  I think the term is interpreted differently.  Some require no residents before using that label, but others allow a few 'survivors'.  Around here we have many, some long disappeared but most(?) with a few occupied houses (stores, etc. are often gone but a few have the old relic buildings in varous states of disrepair).  I think out West, because surviving towns (with employment) are so sparse, it's too expensive to drive from an old settlement to a place of work.  Also, here in the East with our regular precipitation, buildings get overgrown and returned to nature whereas in the deserts of the West there is nothing except wind and scouring sand to perform such erosion, nor trees to hide what remains.  And fewer tillable fields to plow under the remnants and reclaim land for agricultural use.  There are other geographical and economic differences in addition, so as always there isn't a simple explanation.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

thanks for your honest comparison between the two detectors.

I'm not out to promote either one, as I use them I find small differences but really it boils down to the fact that they both find metal really well. 🤣 If you want a much lighter detector get a Deus 2 or 1, from what I've seen they are equally good and light. Obviously the Deus 2 can be used in water with a bit more confidence (but we will see), and in the case of difference between it and the Equinox 600, to me it feels like the Equinox is a hammer in my toolbox, and the Deus 2 is an air nailer. Thus far the Equinox is more useful looking for specific things as it has a long ID history, but the Deus 2 has more tonal capability presumably for those that hunt by ear. It can really tell you what is there, and has much tighter ID for the object for the TID fans. It's worth buying but don't sell your Equinox IMHO.

23 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

BTW, you say there are no ghost towns in your area.

Every "town" that was created here is still active, and over time a few more were added. This peninsula is very historic, my "town" is almost 400 years old, there are a few buildings that did not get burnt down, but most are from the 1800s. One farm I hunt has the original house from 1740, I don't think there are any 1600s structures but I've only been here 20 years. 🙂

We have lots of waterfront so it's a bit of a vacation land, people buy or build cottages. The population swells to twice its size every summer.

Thankfully there exists a large trust that prevents too much expansion in my county, so if you drive through a "town" (most aren't more than 1/2 mile) you'll see nothing but old buildings. New construction is on the shoreline and due to ecological laws permitting is brutal.

As I wrote in an earlier post it is difficult to think of anyone that lives here who doesn't overlook a farm. I have about 170 acres of wheat in front of me. 😀 Many farms have old farmhouses on them that have long been abandoned or torn down. They are the ghosts. 🙂 I have two or 3 such ghosts out front.

This current permission has two sites that the landowner did not know about, one is just a small area with some relics strewn around, the other may have been a service station of some sort along the now gone road.

• Like 2