20 hours ago, kac said:

Glad  your doing better, nice large cent.

Thanks, I'm slowly getting better.  The large cent made the hunt. I just wanted to get some time in on the E Trac and get reacquainted with it. It really is a good machine considering it's age.

15 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

Great hunting with some very nice finds, I like to  hunt old churches because of what is in the ground.

There are over 9 churches near me that have been here since the 1800's, and I can tell you that the have some very old coins.

Good luck on your next outing.

Hope you get out to some of those churches and get some of those coins. But churches are funny, the priest that gave my friend permission was fielding calls all the time we were there. People calling him to report the 2 guys digging his church. One lady even took a picture of my friend and scolded him for hunting a church without permission. 😄 Even after telling her he had permission she still took a picture of him. Funny no one bothered the long haired guy 😆

6 hours ago, Tom_in_CA said:

That LC is in nice shape.  And judging from the pile you had to wade through to find it, you earned it !

Thanks Tom. If I had more time there I think I could have found some deeper, older coins than wheats. But first time there you just wander around and see what pops up. EMI was the depth killer there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So I did get around to toning the large cent with sulfur infused Vaseline. It deepens the coin to a dark tone and hides some of the green that was left by me not cleaning the coin completely.  This coin definitely did not see a lot of circulation before being lost. 

P5200241.JPG

• Like 5

That sure is a great looking coin. Nice job restoring it. 🙂

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

That sure is a great looking coin. Nice job restoring it. 🙂

Thanks. I love that series, they are stuck hard. Most of the time they will clean up well. It's the earlier series that are hard to find in great condition. Very sandy soil or areas that have lime, tend to preserve copper well.