There's The Dream And Than There's The Reality

Fiddled with some settings, switched to 18 freq and went Gold Ring hunting.  Headed out to one of my favorite sites, a football field off a Middle School.     Since 2002 I've dug over a thousand clad coins, some silver rings, couple silver quarters and one Honker of a Gold Band out of there.  It has been dorment for quite a few years now, even the trash is scarce.    Anyways going out hoping for something Gold or at least break a Buck.   In between dead spots I started digging +07 ,bouncing up to +12 .....Started getting red clad nickels.   Nine nickels out of just 23 coins.    Did dig 2 pull tabs couple small pieces of alum between those numbers.     Every time I'd hit one of those nickel signals I would dream this gotta be a ring.      Nope Nickels all nine of them.     I believe +07 to +12 was caused by variances in depth, laying on its side and one was laying with a penny.     Also I think 18 freq, the numbers trend a little higher.    9 Nickels, $1.25 is actually a good hunt out of that field.   Well keep banging around nickels the Gold will turn up someday.    (Better hurry tho )

20220515_113330.jpg

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Dancer said:

In between dead spots I started digging +07 ,bouncing up to +12 .....Started getting red clad nickels.   Nine nickels out of just 23 coins.    Did dig 2 pull tabs couple small pieces of alum between those numbers.     Every time I'd hit one of those nickel signals I would dream this gotta be a ring. 

Dancer,

That is a lot of nickels, very good work on your part. Interesting that you note how the TID is skewed. I see this in a lot of coins that have been in the ground a while and are very discolored. I wondered if they might be close to iron that causes so much discoloration and TID change, but the TID can be quite a ways off on them.

I also notice that the harder I work the settings for unmasking ability, the more untrustworthy the numbers are, even at pretty shallow depth. It brings in a lot of those discolored coins though, so it is hard to know if it is the settings or the coins in proximity to trash that does it.

Seeing you hit those stained nickels with numbers out of range also makes me think it may not be the settings but possibly something to do with the coin in the matrix.  The TID is usually higher in 18kHz for sure, but not that much higher and not that variable. (Well, that is conventional thinking anyway.) The harder I work at unmasking the worse the TID becomes, you here show what you miss if you ignore out of range signals.  

Good report Dancer! 

One thing I noticed using Mix, If I was getting a good bong sound with +07 to +12 , it was usually a nickel sometimes a corroded penny.    No luck with those numbers if there was any  - signs.      There are plenty of iron signals around, I just don't dig them.     There's rarely a fresh drop on this field. Today there was just one. Maybe a Crow dropped it.     Amazing that there are still that many nickels out there cause its getting real hard to crack 20 coins.

21 minutes ago, Dancer said:

No luck with those numbers if there was any  - signs.      There are plenty of iron signals around, I just don't dig them.

Despite the variance in TID, the Tarsacci is very very good at telling iron from everything else. (Except for the wrap around, but that is usually easy to spot.) The specificity in nonferrous can be poor, or at least appear so, but it is the iron unmasking that really sets this machine apart to my mind.

It is the ability to see through some iron and foils that matters to me, then ID the iron, then take a best guess on the rest. Pull tabs are still going to be a pain, and even more so when coins are not hitting where they should.  

18 hours ago, Dancer said:

There's rarely a fresh drop on this field. Today there was just one. Maybe a Crow dropped it.     Amazing that there are still that many nickels out there cause its getting real hard to crack 20 coins.

Yet you make finds. That is good work, since there are few recent drops you rely on unmasking to make your finds. This is exactly what I am attempting to learn. 

Keep talking.

Geezer,  heck sometimes the best way to understand your machine is to take a handful of coins. Mix them up with your common pieces of trash you run across.    Find a sand pit somewhere and fling them around.   Then hunt every coin out of there.    Stay away from digging the minus numbers see what happens.  After you find all the coins, find all the left over trash you left.    Of course have your machine ground balanced before hand.     Then head out to the Wild and see how you do.      Hope this helps, really I'm just a dig a good signal hunter but I do bite on those ( iffy signals ) more than enough.

• Like 1