A Couple Of Firsts For Me This Week!

I hunted an early 1900s Park this week that I had not been to before. 

I had a solid two hours in to the hunt with only a few clad to show and I was loosing confidence in the location. Working my way back to the truck I pick up a couple of wheats, so I start gridding the area. Pretty soon I get a quarter signal at 5" and start getting my hopes up. I figure it's deep enough to be silver and sure enough my First Barber Quarter, a 1911 is staring back at me! Well that got the blood flowing and a renewed confidence in the park. 

For the next hour I dig a few more wheats, a pocket watch, and an old shotgun Shell. I get a mess of tones from a spot and am able to isolate another quarter signal out of the confusion of sounds and VIDs. I knew I might have a coin spill, and I was right! My first silver coin spill. I dug the 1896 Barber Quarter, shocked that I pulled not only my first, but second Barber quarter in the same day. Off a few inches to the left, I widen the hole and get a worn no date Canadian Victoria silver quarter (minted 1870-1901) and just next to it a 1906 V Nickel!

To top the day off, after cleaning up my coins at home I find that one of my wheats, a 1912 S is a key date! Definitely a hunt I will remember for quite some time. 

Bryan

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 9

Nice work! The coins are in great shape too. I've never dug a whole watch in that good of shape before.... Good luck in your future hunts at that park!

strick

Just common date no mint Mark Barbers Ray. 

Trust me I tried real hard to find an S on that 1896!

Congrats on the nice finds CabinFever, a great day for sure. Is always fun to find a "first", and that one of the quarters dates into the 1800's.

I've found quite a few Barber Quarters, but never two on the same day. Plus that V Nickel came out of the ground looking pretty nice. A lot of times those V Nickels can come outta the ground in pretty rough shape. Which machine was you using ?

gregg

23 minutes ago, OregonGregg said:

Congrats on the nice finds CabinFever, a great day for sure. Is always fun to find a "first", and that one of the quarters dates into the 1800's.

I've found quite a few Barber Quarters, but never two on the same day. Plus that V Nickel came out of the ground looking pretty nice. A lot of times those V Nickels can come outta the ground in pretty rough shape. Which machine was you using ?

gregg

Thanks!

I was using my CTX 3030.     I have been experimenting on cleaning nickels.  I used an SOS pad on this one.  I just get it real wet and scrub in circles for 5 or 10 seconds at a time, rinse and check.            If you go to far they start turning real dull and grey.                                                                                       I like to just bring out the details and leave them a little red.   This one turned out pretty nice in my opinion.  I don't know if I would do this to a key date coin though.  

Hi Cabin Fever,

Ya I agree, I like to leave the old patina on them and it makes the details stand out. Plus if you clean them up to look like a new coin then  the imperfections (if they have some) will stand out. The picture of the back of the V Nickel is exactly how I like then. Its a old coin and I like them to look "old" plus still be able to see the details. But its all personal preference.

Also the Quarter looks nice just enough patina so the wording and stars stands out. If it was completely clean, then it's just one bright silver shiny object.

That 1912-S Lincoln looks to be in nice shape.  Did you grade it?  I'm impressed at how good your coppers look after being in the ground for approaching a century.  My limited experience coin hunting around here got me thinking something in the soil eats away at the old Lincolns, taking away detail (more so than just the typical pocket wear they suffered before being lost).