New Permission....my First Button! But How Old Is It?

A super nice couple on 1750's farmhouse 

Place ooozes history. 

My first time out I found a great Horseshoe with Nails still in it. That was awesome because the place used to be a horse farm....at one point..

Then I found the button. I can't place the date, but looks like half of a two piece button. Maybe late 1800's? but could be more modern. 

Also 7 9mm bullets, golf balls lol and some other garbage. 

There is also a bottle dump there I didn't even look at yet. 

I guess this is my first good permission!

Such wonderful people, I insisted they keep the horse shoe and they flatly refuse, "Keep everything just send me a picture"

Just got one thing to say about that.....Thank you Lord Jesus!!!!!

20220515_142026.jpg

20220515_163723.jpg

20220515_163733.jpg

• Like 9

Nice work...good to hear that the folks that own the place are so nice. looking forward to more. 

strick 

Nice button Dirtshark! 👍1750s, eh? You're going to find a lot of great stuff there. Can't wait to see your next finds, bet you can't either 😀

Here's a quick button reference I posted for someone else, if you do some research there's a lot of stuff out there. This is simple rule of thumb, use the title and search yourself:datingbuttons.jpg.aba7510ecc85b34a112995018beb378b.jpg

Finding the buttons is half the fun, finding out how old they are is the rest.

The one you dug looks like a two piece, the holes are for off gassing the solder.

• Like 2

Great finds, you should be able to find some really good stuff there. Just take your time and things will show up for you to dig.

Good luck.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rvpopeye said:

Nice place . I predict you will spend a lot of time there !

What's yer "general area" ? Looks like my woods..🤔 

Southern NH

Yeah, I am looking forward to finding the good stuff. 

I think I impressed the home owner when I told him I found a bunch of 9MM bullets. He laughed and admitted the spot i found them is his little shooting range. lol. Little buggers ring up so nice. 

• Like 3

Ok so I'm sitting here drinking.... First off , really cool finds.  Button is cool. But as someone who used too make a living riding horses and packing mules... If I found a horseshoe with the nails still in it I'm thinking " the horseshoer needs to make his clinches bigger."  I know that's technical and trade related but unless the shoe is really old ... It's just a thrown horseshoe.

I am however jealous that you are in an area with the potential that an old horseshoe could be significant. 

And getting permission on that property is 😎 awesome.👍

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Was watching AquaChigger video and he pulled a button and he called it a "Blow Hole" or "vent Hole" button. 

I searched on that and the predominant opinion is that BlowHole buttons are VERY old. 1750s to 1790s perhaps much earlier. 

What I was reading said that they are often mistakenly considered to be more modern but they seem to be colonial. 

If so, then my little button with the pattern intact is a very nice button!

On 5/16/2022 at 3:11 PM, Dirtshark said:

Southern NH

Yeah, I am looking forward to finding the good stuff. 

I think I impressed the home owner when I told him I found a bunch of 9MM bullets. He laughed and admitted the spot i found them is his little shooting range. lol. Little buggers ring up so nice. 

Ha, I just realized/remembered that you joined the NH detecting forum a few months back and that you recently got the Legend. The name Dirtshark didn't click until I saw here that you're in NH. You should be posting your stuff on the NH forum as well as here. There have been some good finds being made lately and everyone would like to see how you're progressing.  👍