Hello From Cranbrook Bc, Canada

Nickw

Hi All,

New member from Cranbrook BC, Canada.  I'm a long time hand panner, and started running a Minelab GM1000 last year. I've been working on some friends claims up the Wild Horse River and Boulder Creek (the site of a large/famous gold rush in BC). One of the guys up here (Steve) was recently on Freddy Dodge's Gold Rush. 

Detecting wise, I haven't had much luck yet. The area's I am working (even though they are claimed) have been heavily worked before, and very likely previously detected. My little VLF isn't going very deep, unless the target is huge. I am wanting to upgrade to a better PI machine.

Interesting things I've found include lots old square cut nails, and some some barbed rock wedges. Otherwise, lots of old timer trash, even more modern trash, pyrites, iron ore, and hot rocks galore....

Just thought I would introduce myself and say hello. 

Cheers,
Nick

• Like 5

• The title was changed to Hello From Cranbrook Bc, Canada.

Welcome to the forum Nick!

Have you tried south of Trout Lake in the creek?

My grandfather and I panned there for about 3 weeks several years ago and was able to get almost 2 ounces before we had to come back home.

Take your time and your detector will find some nice targets. It just takes time to know the machine and what it is telling you is down there.

Good luck and good hunting.

• Like 1

Welcome, Nick!  Sounds like you're in a good location -- need to have gold present in order to find it.  One good piece of news dealing with metal trash -- no detectorist beat you to what's underneath it.

• Like 1

Thanks Guys.

I'm currently debating the 6000 and 7000. I can only get one, so I need to choose. I'm reading everything here before I ask questions. But I do have a one or two questions. I may ask them soon.

Hi Valens, I haven't been over that way yet. It's about 5hrs from here. Sounds like you have a good trip. There's quite a few good gold areas in BC. 🙂  Although something to keep in mind, part of the south side of the lake/creek is in a provincial park. In BC it's illegal to prospect in provincial (and national) parks, without the written approval of the park warden. I can't say I've ever heard of anyone getting approval, but I also haven't heard of anyone asking either. Perhaps a good thing to look into.

GB, thanks. I do always check the holes again after I dig something, incase there is another target. Thus far its always more trash, but fingers crossed. The further I get off the beaten path, the better things seem to get. Last fall, I hit a patch of square cut nails up a hillside (above the primary gold bearing creek which feed the lower gold rush) while detecting around trees and boulders there. Some old timer must of went for a slide and lost a bunch, I found 8-10 maybe. Each one of them lit up as a big target. Each one required a 12-18" hole. I know it's just a matter of time before I get lucky. As if a bunch of trash is still here, then it's a better chance it hasn't been worked by someone else with a detector yet.

Cheers,
Nick

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Hello From Cranbrook Bc, Canada