Minelab Fan Says Shame, Shame, Shame

I purchased a SDC 2300 before the end of last year during the promotional pricing period. Because I have been away at sea and/or in areas no gold exists I just took my new girl out for her first stroll yesterday. An hour into the hunt my machine started turning off and on. I knew there HAD been a  problem with this is as I had ran a friends 2300 for a few days. What I find inconceivable is the SDC 2300 has been for sale in this country for quite a while now and they have done nothing to fix a seemingly minor problem. The MAP price on this machine is approaching the $4000 mark. You would think that for that type of money you could turn your detector on and it would run until you turned it off. I have always been a fan of Minelab detectors ever since I purchased a GP3500, but I have to say "FOR SHAME,FOR SHAME,FOR SHAME". Minelab should hang their head in red-faced shame over such dismal customer service as this. 

• Like 3

I've had no trouble with mine with a lot of hours on it now (although digging handfuls of little birdshot is annoying.) 

Minelab has great customer service,  if you are having trouble with your unit send it in for service and they'll fix it. No manufacturer is immune to production anomalies and quirks, I can't think of a detector manufacturer that I haven't had a little issue with. 

The battery springs are likely making poor contact with the battery. Stretching the springs slightly usually fixes the problem. There are slight variation in battery sizes both in diameter and the size of the male contact that seem to lead to the issue with some battery types and not others.

No argument from me about you saying this should not be an issue still. First reports on this problem were in 2014.

• Like 1

Agree it shouldn't be an issue but it's a very easy fix where required.

My SDC was supplied with Powerizer batteries & the issue was pretty bad with them. I put one wrap of coil tape around them & it largely fixed the problem but not completely. It was disappointing that these were the supplied battery but it wasn't the end of the world.

I purchased a second set of Tenergy batteries (wanted a second set anyway) that had a noticeably larger male contact. These batteries very rarely had the issue - maybe happened 2 or 3 times that I can remember & I never bothered taping them but in hindsight some tape may have prevented any issues at all. 

To me with a little bit of tape it was a very minor issue or with the Tenergy's near non-existent & the gold I found with it made up for the small inconveniences. Fully agree it should be fixed though - SDC2300V2 lithium battery pack & wireless please Minelab :cool:

I've seen guys wedge a plastic spoon head between the outer most two batteries to keep them from wiggling. My machines have done it from the get go. Use electrical tape too. Has anyone sent their machine back for this problem and if so what is their fix? It's such an easy fix out in the field that I have not sent them in yet.

strick

This problem has been there from day one. I had the same trouble and with a fix of a business card between the batteries you were good to go.

You were thinking the card you got with the SDC was just to let you know the dealer. Wrong.Haha

I just never understand why Minelab went to C batteries. Oh will they didn't call me.

Chuck

PS On the positive side that SDC is one great detector.

I readily admit it would have been easy to fix this problem before I went afield. I knew how to do it. I just did not think a brand new detector would still have this issue. As Steve said it was first reported in 2014. While it is an easy fix and no big deal, my point is it should not occur at all on such an expensive detector. I guess we can all suck eggs once we give Minelab our money.:sad:

• Like 3