Running The 15" Cc X Coil Over A 6000 Patch

10 hours ago, Aureous said:

The term comes from the first 2 syllables Con-Cen-tric. CC.....as in the better lookin Cousin of DD :biggrin:

How many people searched “CC coil” to figure out what it meant? 🙄

(insert paper bag on head emoji here)

I am finding that I really like the DD though, not only just for its EMI handling, but also for its double sided response to shallow targets- that’s pretty useful for locating them.

• Like 1

Targets on the 6000 seem to go from "not there" to "good target" fairly quickly on the 6000. Wheras the 7000 seems to have much more nuance with the faint signals, they increase in intensity slower, not all at once like the 6000 likes to do.  This quirk can be useful since it's much quicker to chase and dig the signals above the intercept point with the 6000, and much quicker to chase the fainter, more nuanced once with the 7000 below the intercept point. At least, IMO.

It's like the 6000 has an exponential target response and the 7000 is more linear. At something like this is how it feels in my head:

image.png.e3ef0b5af83b31de1d426a4d7ada3ea0.png

• Like 5

That's what I've been trying to describe, you've done it better than I did 🙂

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah Concentric coil back in the 80s I had on my Garret A2B was the same as on the Z, extreme depth ( for VLF now ZVT) with lessened coverage, as per my post back over a year ago. You`d reckon should be a possibility for the 6K, come on X coil.

X coil as stated before your welcome to my 14inch, to have a go. My 6Ks well and truly paid for ready to try.

In regard to the 6K, although it has top audio response over other detectors on those shallow scraps tis those subtle but repeatable "ghost" signals that produce the weight.

• Like 1

These are the first concentrics I've used on any detector, so I'm just basically learning about them. 

I'm curious why they were never very common on the GPX/GP/SD's? A VLF has some ZVT like qualities, are they less effective with true PI detectors? 

To my knowledge there was only one company making concentric coils for the VLF gold machine that was Dtek (spelling from memory) they also made the Search King 15Khz and the Gold King 5Khz VLFs in direct competition with Garret. They did not catch on, along with the concentric coil was shunned in my part of the world for a reason I didn`t understand, got the weight for me.  

On the GPZ the concentric coils have an outer transmit and two inner receive windings, and to top it off they're flat wound.  I can imagine the inner most receive winding is very small which might explain the super sensitivity they have.

Also that outer transmit winding on a 15" CC is a big winding, if you think about the standard DOD design.

DOD.thumb.jpg.ea29abaf6fce09296611fe4e9e74a548.jpg 

The central transmit winding on the 14x13" GPZ coil is tiny compared to the transmit on the 15" CC.  I have no idea myself but you'd think that might have something to do with why the Concentric coils are so deep.  Just a guess of course, I do not know why they're so much better.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Norvic said:

To my knowledge there was only one company making concentric coils for the VLF gold machine that was Dtek (spelling from memory) they also made the Search King 15Khz and the Gold King 5Khz VLFs in direct competition with Garret. They did not catch on, along with the concentric coil was shunned in my part of the world for a reason I didn`t understand, got the weight for me.  

Concentric coils were quite common with many company's back in the 80's, along with Co-planar and coaxial designs. The company you were referring to was Detex. Yes, very Garret-like and I think Garret bought out the company. Whites were big with concentric coils too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, phrunt said:

On the GPZ the concentric coils have an outer transmit and two inner receive windings, and to top it off they're flat wound.  I can imagine the inner most receive winding is very small which might explain the super sensitivity they have.

Also that outer transmit winding on a 15" CC is a big winding, if you think about the standard DOD design.

The central transmit winding on the 14x13" GPZ coil is tiny compared to the transmit on the 15" CC.  I have no idea myself but you'd think that might have something to do with why the Concentric coils are so deep.  Just a guess of course, I do not know why they're so much better.

So due to these factors, we should probably expect a bigger performance gain from concentric coils on machines that use these DOD coils stock than we would expect to see on traditional PIs using monos which already have a large RX/TX loop?

• Like 1