Running The 15" Cc X Coil Over A 6000 Patch

I'll think we should just wait and see what the future holds. ๐Ÿ™‚

ย 

• Like 2

yep, why kill the GPX sales and investment by releasing another detector quickly when with no competition they really don't need to, they can stretch out the sales of detectors as long as they want, it's a few years away yet is my best guess.ย  I am not bothered, I'm as happy as I could be with my current equipment.

All these rumours of a GPX 8000 next year I believe are rubbish.ย 

Competition would drive faster releases, when the market is completely dominated they can milk it for all it's worth.

Their next detector will be a coin and relic machine, surprisingly that's where the money is at the moment, previously it was the gold detectors bringing in the cash.ย  Times they are changing as their investor reports clearly point out.

• Like 3

I have it on high authority that field test prototypes of the GPZ8000 have been trialed for the past 3 years. Lots of tweaking and additions have been made. The Covid pandemic and delayed release of the GPX6000 have put off the 8000 release date until after the new financial year in 2023. Some of the additions are things which we have all discussed and suggested in the past. Its also going to be insanely expensive...I anticipate it easily breaking the AU$10K mark. The tech seems like its going to be worth it, if you're a professional type prospector.ย 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh my! 1

I'm hoping they get a lighter GPZ out sooner than later. As much as I'm loving these concentrics on the GPZ, my elbow makes me pay for swinging that machine for a week afterwards now, even with lighter coils. It's hard to stop though, knowing it almost always pulls something extra up.

I had an S20 phone die in Arizona over the winter (well, screen went bad, I can't login now), had some photos of running the 17" CC in a small, deep gold area that was worked by 2 GPZ operators and me with the 17" spiral, no signals left at all when I took the 17" CC in. This post was about what the 6000 missed, but I can also show what the stock GPZ and even the 17" spiral miss compared to the 17" CC too.

Going to work on recovering data and vids off this old phone today, hopefully can get them all back.ย 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Jason,ย 

I thoroughly enjoy reading the in-depth posts you write and discoveries made in pounded patches. I also enjoy the light-weight GPX 6000, that's why I traded in my GPZ. Those CC coils on the GPZ are impressive, almost makes me want to go back to the GPZ.๐Ÿ˜‚ย Looks like you're in the salty NNV???ย 

Bill

15 hours ago, phrunt said:

I'm not surprised by X-coils not following through with GPX coils, they chase bigger deeper gold where they hunt and the GPZ is the more suitable detector for them to use personally, and the whole reason they even made GPZ coils was to give themselves better options, with them not wanting to use the GPX themselves the motivation wouldn't be there the same as it was with the GPZ.

I think there is a huge difference between asking people to cut the end off a cable, versus literally cutting into a coil to remove a chip, and then patch the coil, plus mend the hole. It goes from being hard, to almost being ridiculous.

Lots of speculation about constraints on Nugget Finder and Coiltek here, when people have absolutely no idea if there are any, or what they might be. For all we know they have access to the chips, and can build any coil they want using those chips. Maybe optimism is an option, rather than assume the worst.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, cobill said:

Jason,ย 

I thoroughly enjoy reading the in-depth posts you write and discoveries made in pounded patches. I also enjoy the light-weight GPX 6000, that's why I traded in my GPZ. Those CC coils on the GPZ are impressive, almost makes me want to go back to the GPZ.๐Ÿ˜‚ย Looks like you're in the salty NNV???ย 

Bill

Hey Bill, I'm in some terrain that in many ways resembles that around Rye Patch. I would say as a whole it's less salty though, or more patchworked alkali anyways, with areas of more extreme salt and less extreme salt. Also, the ground is more mineralized with regards to the ferrite component here too. But similar conditions.

I think the 6000 is a great detector for NNV, and also for Colorado. If I only wanted one detector to primarily work those two places, I'd personally choose the 6000 so I think you made a good trade. In fact, when I detect down in your part of Colorado later this year, I'll probably just take the 6000 with me. The steeps...too gnarly with the GPZ unless I have some very specific, small areas to concentrate on.

But yeah, these concentrics are definitely deep in the places you can run them. Heavy salt is not particularly their forte though. But they are doing good with the ferrite mineralization (no worse than the stock coil anyways, maybe slightly better), and these things just absolutely slay the deeper ground and have literally produced deeper gold every single patch I've tried them on. For places like Arizona they are amazing.ย 

For people that have a stable full of good, deep, productive old patches, these things are literally like having a GPZ 8000 to me, a tool that is clearly more capable than anything else on the market right now. I'm actually pretty surprised there aren't more AZ detectorists using one, but that's just fine with me. I hope I'm the only one in the US using them because they are a major advantage to have.ย :cool:

17 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Lots of speculation about constraints on Nugget Finder and Coiltek here, when people have absolutely no idea if there are any, or what they might be. For all we know they have access to the chips, and can build any coil they want using those chips. Maybe optimism is an option, rather than assume the worst.

I'll admit to being a bit speculative here myself and other threads. I got a bit concerned we might just see some size variation and no focus on improved performance when I saw Coiltek say something along the line that he didn't know what flat windings were. Maybe a semantic mixup, and not technical? Unsure. Lack of clarity leads to speculation though, naturally.

That, plus no post about upcoming concentrics from either manufacturer. It naturally leads to a bit of speculation wether we will see some things or not that we are all discovering this last year can add some significant boost in performance to the Z, and wonder if maybe the same can apply to the 6?

Add into the mix that neither Minelab nor coil manufacturers have stated if there are specific restrictions on what can and can't be made for the 6000, and people are gonna start wondering on their own if such restrictions might exist, based on history. Since we clearly saw restrictions on the 7000 limiting aftermarket coil manufacturing, even if it's unclear to this day exactly what the restrictions were, it's easy to assume restrictions are potentially in play with the 6000 too, especially since the chip still exists.

• Like 5

I think time will tell, they've each said they're going to be releasing three coils with no sign of more to come, Coiltek released three Nox coils and two CTX coils if history is anything to go by on chipped coils. ย  So there are three confirmed sizes from each brand which seems a coincidence all similar sizes to their competitor but different enough that they're not having to compete with each other, that was well planned seeing they didn't release their sizes to the public until they were near ready for sale so they obviously conspired in the background to ensure they were not competing with each other or it was a huge fluke as I'm sure Nugget Finder would have wanted to make the 14x9" being one of their more popular GPX coil sizes.

It seems like Coiltek got the first pick selecting the commonly popular sizes of 10x5" and 14x9".ย  Being far more simple coils to make you'd think they'd come out with the best first for their brand to encourage people to buy others in their range.

NF is near the point of releasing their second GPZ coil, and their website updated to reflect this after saying that size will come shortly after the 12", then it changed to coming in 2021 and stayed that way well into 2022. Finally the website updated a couple of weeks ago saying a new larger size is coming soon in 2022 so struggling to get it across the line I guess.ย 

I'm quite happy with the range of 6000 coils available, plenty of sizes in the sizes I like,ย  I would love a concentric coil though as it might tame the beast and add some depth.

I think if there are no constraints Nugget Finder sure missed a lot of opportunity with the GPZ by doing what they've done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am able to browse my broken phone as a hard drive on my computer now. Still can't find my AZ concentric stuff, not sure why it isn't stored in DCIM as it should be.

Anyways, I totally forgot that I gave the concentrics a very brief run in NNV though, and found a few pics, they aren't the greatest photos taken right at sundown and hard to see the dirt encrusted gold, so I never posted them originally. But here they are anyways since I'm digging through old stuff and on the subject of concentrics. It was a short trip as I was there for other purposes, but I stopped for an hour at a heavily detected patch on the way back to my hotel, this patch is so depleted that I don't even detect here anymore except to test new equipment since the ground is basically lacking any real targets anymore with existing equipment. Heavy salt, and heavily detected by every detector since the first SD. I had to work glacially slow through the salt groan, but still got one.

This one was a grammer or something, don't remember exactly at this point. I'm posting this stuff going off rough memory at this point.

It definitely suffered in the salt, but not really any more or less than I'd expect any larger coil would. Targets were still recognizable in the salt groan, just as with the stock coil. I also ran the 8" out here another trip, and it did great in the salt, better than the 6000 w/11" in my opinion.

image.png.754d7b597b655232227989ff4347ed0c.png

Tried another similar well flogged patch which I'm sure a number of forum members are familiar with, about an hour here.

Got 3 nuggets. One of them had a nice cube on the tip of it (left most nugget). The middle one came from below a pocket I found in 2015 or so with the GPZ, the pocket was filled with black sooty carbon/graphite, and you can sorta see the carbon on this nugget even though this photo isn't the greatest. Someone has since discovered my old pocket and raked a large area beneath it down, and took a bunch of the dirt home with them. It's really crystalline gold when it's all cleaned up. This stuff all got tossed into CLR and sold a few days later to fund gas back home so I don't have any pics of it cleaned up unfortunately. It was all crystalline though.

The tiny 3rd nugget was the smallest I'd ever found with a large coil and was something under 0.10 grams but I can't recall weight exactly now.

So, about 3 grams from very well flogged patches in about 2 hours of actual detecting. Not bad for places I've given up on years ago. If a person has enough old patches with proven production and depth, it's probably possible to pay a concentric off quick. I've only used mine lightly and I think I'm close to or over 1 oz with them now from just worked, dead patches. However, I think the major value of these coils is for people who have known, proven ground to work.

image.png.dc4a20220b3fa7c49da8b827b2a0d203.png

Here is some of the gold from the original pocket, after I got smashy with the quartz. This wasn't found with the concentric, it was found in 2015 or 2016 with the stock GPZ, just a reference to know what the gold actually looks like and it's character, since my pictures above don't really show it due to dirt covering. It's prickly, crystalline, hard to detect stuff normally.

image.thumb.jpeg.3a79b6569b4f14e78a7bf6b5e2ce6b88.jpeg

ย 

ย 

• Like 8