Running The 15" Cc X Coil Over A 6000 Patch

image.png.8675856307a2f66f37ac6173e4ea3169.png

What Simon said. That subject got discussed to great extent already here years ago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, phrunt said:

The chips are in the coils, not in the detector, the detector itself seems safe from counterfeiting, although there are fake GPZ 7000's under the hood they're not fake GPZ 7000's and just poor performing detectors, with the easier to clone detectors like VLF's there are fakes that are virtually identical in performance, with I would guess worse build quality.

So the aim of the chip on the GPZ coil cable, and inside the GPX 6000 isn't to prevent Chinese from making fake detectors, it's simply there to prevent coils being made by anybody outside of Minelabs control.

Don’t get me wrong in a perfect world it would get great all these options. But you can’t say in one breath that counterfeiting exists of a metal detector and then say the coil is off limits though. I’m pretty sure Minelab would put a fair amount of work into their coils as well as the other hardware in a product. 

• Haha 3

I just spoke to a coil technician and he advised me that the current 6000 coils are the same specs as the old GPX coils....so if the chip could safely be extracted from a 6000 coil  and a 5000-6000 adapter made up, then you SHOULD be able to run any previously made GPX coil on a 6000. I feel an experiment coming on... 

• Like 7

41 minutes ago, GR Guy said:

Don’t get me wrong in a perfect world it would get great all these options. But you can’t say in one breath that counterfeiting exists of a metal detector and then say the coil is off limits though. I’m pretty sure Minelab would put a fair amount of work into their coils as well as the other hardware in a product. 

Sorry to burst your bubble GR Guy, but Minelab have never made good coils. They have only ever been adequate!

Why do you think aftermarket companies like Nugget Finder, Coiltek and now X Coils have done so well ? It's because they make good coils.

Rick

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thanks again Aureous, Chet came out some time ago saying the older GPX coils would work on a GPX 6000, that guy seems to really know his electronics.  I guess it is something that needs to be tinkered with and accessed.  If it is the case that'd be a game changer for the 6000, someone could start a business just making adapters for people and make a fortune.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I was just literally writing something to the effect of "I'm curious what Chet thinks about making some 6000 concentrics and if performance increases are possible or not worth pursuing on the 6, right as you posted that. 😁

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Pretty sure the X Coils guys are waiting for the 8000 release like everybody else. In the meantime they're unlikely to bother with commercial coils for the 6000.

So if Minelab haven't yet got the message and fail to release CC's for the 8000, I'm pretty certain I know who who'll do it for them  :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Aureous said:

current 6000 coils are the same specs as the old GPX coils.

Which makes me wonder even more, why are the new ones double the price?  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Northeast said:

Which makes me wonder even more, why are the new ones double the price?  

It's because of Covid and Russia invading Ukraine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5