Running The 15" Cc X Coil Over A 6000 Patch

14 minutes ago, Northeast said:

Which makes me wonder even more, why are the new ones double the price?  

ML are gonna make some $$ out of this for sure... last couple years has seen a sh*tload of things rise in price significantly...maybe coils are now on that list...:rolleyes:

Good to see the X coils being recognized for what they have done to the Z, was a bit bit of an uphill battle for early adopters as is so when we trial most new products. Skepticism rules initially but acceptance follows once they`ve been proven and X coils have certainly done that with their whole GPZ range in particular the CCs. As stated previously I hope X coil can give us coils for MLs magic 6K in particular a small CC.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Northeast said:

Which makes me wonder even more, why are the new ones double the price?  

Because they have to be Minelab approved, that means they're buying a "license" off Minelab to make coils for the detector which involves Minelab supplying them the chips, is anything Minelab sells cheap? 🙂

They also had to get each coil model approved which by the sounds of it involves Minelab testing the coil model to see if they are up to their standards or I think fit with what they want the detector to be able to do, and not do keeping their detector models far enough apart to justify someone having to buy the other model too.

All of this adds to the cost of the coils.

Other than it being the newest model detector and there will be a bigger demand for coils so they can charge what they want and they're still significantly cheaper than GPZ coils, although there is a big difference in the difficulty of making the GPZ coils and the time and skill required to do so.

Every one of these 6000 coils we buy we're giving some of that money to Minelab, they can't lose like they did with the earlier GPX model with the freedom of anyone to make coils for it, Minelab probably thought more people would buy their Commander coil range than actually did, people were too busy buying the aftermarket brands so the obvious solution is to restrict this, and make some money selling the license to make coils.

I don't think the prices are unreasonable but people are likely to buy less coils than they would have if they were cheaper.

• Like 3

Opinions are like backsides, we all have one.😳 There are a lot of incorrect comments here on this thread but as usual I'm gagged because defending Minelab is not the done thing and also I'm not at liberty anyway.

However I'm going to have my say because being in quarantine from having contracted Covid I'm feeling a bit fierce and fed up, so stuff it!!!😷The GPX 6000 represents a huge change electronically compared to the 7000 which is understandable with the age differences in the designs and how fast electronics have moved forward in that time, read into that what you will with regards crypto in the coils. Hint: it's not just a security measure. 😳

All the complaints about coil options for the 7000 especially the smaller coil options are based around one individuals continious bombardment of this forum about a coil that is not even available through that avenue, but still ML get bagged out for it. 🤯

We right now are on the cusp of everyones wish list where not one but two non-OEM coil manufacturers have announced they will be offering a range of coils that are unique to their marque, so in essence there will soon be 6 new coil sizes to choose from to suit the GPX6000, that fact alone speaks volumes about Minelab's willingness to keep the party faithful happy. There are also more officially sanctioned coils in the works for the GPZ7000 so owners of that tech can have something to look forward to as well.

Sure we can sit here and look back in time and keep on pointing out past mistakes even though none of us truly know the facts behind them, but constant berration won't change a thing and TBH I'm heartily sick of them, in the 'here and now' there is plenty of evidence that positive things are happening with scope for more changes in the future, that's an exciting thing in my book.☺️

OK, I'll sit back now and watch the slings and arrows come out because I dared defend Minelab yet again. 😬

JP

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh my! 1

I could care less about any excuses or defense Minelab may care to muster. I want what I want as an end user, and Minelab can either listen, or just tell me to pound sand. Which is the general feeling I get, when anything approaching a complaint is belittled. They are a major corporation, not a little puppy that needs protection from meanies. If they have a lick of sense, they would be grateful for, and listen hard to customer perceptions as a reality, like it or not. Anyway, I’ve had my say, and have zero need or desire to argue or defend it. It’s my genuine feelings about the matter, take it or leave it for that.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

As always Steve I respect your position and of course I completely understand where you are coming from, so no direct argument from me. However it would be a very boring forum if is was all Minelab bashing and no opposing POV would it not?

I'm not defending ML at all costs, as said they are a very big emotionless corporate company who are big enough to take a few, some times well deserved, hits on the chin. In this case however ML have lately shown they are listening with allowances made very early on for manufacture of non-OEM coils to enter the fray, surely that speaks volumes for such a large entity that is historicaly slow to make changes? Sure it's not exactly what you or others want or would like, but to me it is massive and very encouraging.

No wish for an argument just a bit gun shy that I'll get hammered because my opinion goes against the majority.

As always with respect
JP

• Like 2

No worries JP, we are besties, and it's all just blah blah blah anyway. I'm more concerned about my new tomato plants than metal detecting at the moment anyway, so barely paying any attention to any of this. More like drop an opinion bomb, move on. :smile:

I will say in closing however that I love the fact that we are not going the 7000 route as far as coils with the 6000, with a whole bunch of much more affordable options ready to hit the market any moment. So kudos to Minelab on that, for sure.

You indeed have my respect also, best host a bloke ever had in Oz, bar none, and an even better detectorist!

My Friend Jonathan Porter

jonathan-porter-steve-herschbach-australia-2011.jpg

• Like 8

And that there folks is testament to why I hang on this forum, the moderator is a decent person who allows everyone to voice their opinion even if it does not concur with his. Nothing but respect for Steve Herschbach. 😎

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1