Running The 15" Cc X Coil Over A 6000 Patch

7 hours ago, Norvic said:

As stated previously I hope X coil can give us coils for MLs magic 6K in particular a small CC.

As previously stated elsewhere, the Russkistanis are NOT continuing to make 6000 coils coz the difficulty in extracting the chip and  building the adapters is proving a big headache....sometimes its easy, sometimes its a clusterf%&k. Not worth  the hassle, gambling with someone else's coil. 

• Like 2

X-coils have yet to make any concentric coils for the GPX, I'm sure if they think it's worthwhile they will, they seem to love a challenge and if they think the concentric coils are worth making I'm sure they'll do it at least for their own inner circles use, if they don't want to sell them.   They're exceptionally intelligent people with high level educations in related fields that benefit coil making, not just some guys that liked gold detecting and decided they'd slap together some coils.

The reason for them not selling GPX coils at this stage has nothing at all to do with the adapter or the other brands making them, the guy making adapters for everyone in Australia is quite happy to take on making everyone's GPX adapter too and although it looks drastic it's not as difficult as it looks, he's a real guru too and there is constantly people wanting to buy them.  They have good working coils that run quieter than the standard coils, it's more the difficulty and cost of shipping holding them back, if that changes I think watch out and I certainly look forward to running X-coils on my GPX along side the other aftermarket coils I'll be buying from the other brands.

The outer winding on the concentric is the transmit on the GPZ and the two inner windings are the receive.   So, with the GPX already having the hots for small gold even with the 11" stock semi spiral mono coil I would assume by lets say having an 11" spiral concentric coil on it that little inner single receive winding the GPX coils would have would be pretty hot on small gold too although Concentrics never really took off on the older GPX model so who knows and that's what I'm sure many of us concentric users are dying to find out.

I prefer to keep things a nice friendly discussion about something we have a shared interest in so I now blank out when it turns into anything else,  it is very interesting to see different peoples perspectives on such things though. 

Are Minelab being nice thoughtful people giving us aftermarket options with GPX coils or was their hand forced early on with their futile attempt at stopping it by moving the chip to a more difficult location failing on them within weeks of release.  Either way, people now get options above and beyond the stock offerings so thank you whoever helped make it happen. 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, phrunt said:

The outer winding on the concentric is the transmit on the GPZ and the two inner windings are the receive.   So, with the GPX already having the hots for small gold even with the 11" stock semi spiral mono coil I would assume by lets say having an 11" spiral concentric coil on it that little inner single receive winding the GPX coils would have would be pretty hot on small gold too although Concentrics never really took off on the older GPX model so who knows and that's what I'm sure many of us concentric users are dying to find out.

Seems in physics, everything has a give and take. Sort of the nature of thermodynamics and no free lunches. Make gains here, and you lose some gains over there, etc.

If I understand what you are saying here, I think you are right. The CC will "give" up a bit of raw depth to big stuff vs monos, but the smaller RX on the CC might "take" some sensitivity/depth to the smaller stuff relative to a mono. Maybe start getting some performance close to or even outdoing the 8" on the GPZ?

All this stuff really has me thinking seriously about learning to make my own coils so I can just answer my own questions and stop wondering. :biggrin: 

You probably know just as much as me if not more 🙂 I just pick up things I hear here and there and piece it together, all I know for a fact is what works best for me and what I enjoy using, and that's what I will use and nobody saying otherwise is going to change that.

I hope we get to find out one day just how well Concentric coils go on the GPX, and I'd be surprised if we don't get to find out some way or another.

My main complaint about MineLab coils is that I have to buy one. I can't buy a ML detector without the extra cost of their expensive coils, that I have only used for testing the detector against coils that are made elsewhere that fit my special requirements. So many ML coils sitting in the shed, that cost a large fortune because I had to buy them to get a ML detector. This money could of been used to buy another ML detector without a coil or other detecting equipment. Who is in the same boat wasting resources paying for coils that are not used.

😢

• Like 4

4 hours ago, phrunt said:

I hope we get to find out one day just how well Concentric coils go on the GPX, and I'd be surprised if we don't get to find out some way or another.

Is everyone forgetting that Detech makes an 18" and a 24" CC coil for GPX?? I am going to get an adapter made up and start trialing the old coils plus an 18" CC.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Aureous said:

As previously stated elsewhere, the Russkistanis are NOT continuing to make 6000 coils coz the difficulty in extracting the chip and  building the adapters is proving a big headache....sometimes its easy, sometimes its a clusterf%&k. Not worth  the hassle, gambling with someone else's coil. 

Au, when X coils say to me directly NO I might stop believing they`ll make me a 6K CC coil, as I know from experience they make the best quality, best performing coils for the Z on this planet.

• Like 5

NV, I'm just quoting what they told Simon. They prefer to let others gamble with making the adapters. The coils themselves are no different to earlier GPX coils, same inductance, same resistance values...plus same design and winding parameters. So, the crucial thing is to safely and efficiently build an adapter, not the coil.