Awsome group of finds; as usual!! And great learning how both detectors, and a friend, function there!

And the corn is looking good! Too bad it's not people corn! Short but good run, as now the growth, and heat/humidity will be running you off those fields!

Still always other places to go, and research to be done! And oh yeah, that "honey do" list!! 🤣 

Great Job!! 👍👍

• Like 3

Nice save on the IH, sometimes I put a little water on them to read the date, and other times I have to take a lead pencil and paper to make a rubbing.

If all else fails then I just guess at the date.

Good luck on your next outing, and remember that roundup will get rid of those pesky weeds. Just don't let the owner see you do it.

• Haha 2

If you have to guess the date try 1877, who can argue with you if the date can't be read. 😀

Pricing the 1877 Indian Head Penny

No matter what the grade of your 1877 Indian Head, you can rest-assured knowing you will get quite the sum of money for it. Even in terrible condition these coins are worth a lot, but in Uncirculated condition, these coins are worth significantly more. The chart below will give you a good idea of what you can expect to pay for an Indian Head Penny from 1877, given its grade.

DATE GOOD FINE EXTREMELY FINE UNCIRCULATED
1877 $900 $1550 $2500 $3100

• Haha 3

Since F350 said 'fat penny' I assume he meant the early years (1859-64) which were thicker and had a nickel component (15% Ni, 85% Cu?  -- I'm too lazy to look it up).  BTW, do you remember the VDI on that one, Plat?

Joe, field corn is edible when picked at the right time.  But, yes, even optimally picked it doesn't taste all that great, unless maybe you drench it in butter.  Butter in sufficient quantity can make shoe leather taste good.  😄

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, GB_Amateur said:

Joe, field corn is edible when picked at the right time.  But, yes, even optimally picked it doesn't taste all that great, unless maybe you drench it in butter.  Butter in sufficient quantity can make shoe leather taste good.  😄

Thanks GB,

Good to know for the Zombie Apocalypse! (Butter may be hard to get though!) 😂

But for now, I will leave it for you, and F350😜, cows, moonshiners, and ethanol makers, to name a few uses!🌽👍👍

☆And BTW, Just so I'm not off subject, corn is used in many plastics, and lubricants that may be used in Metal Detectors!!😁

• Haha 5

17 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

BTW, do you remember the VDI on that one, Plat?

That was a unique one, it was a 71. Odd because they're supposed to be in the 80s on the Deus, I'll check with the Equinox and update if you want. Could have been the corrosion.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

That was a unique one, it was a 71. Odd because they're supposed to be in the 80s on the Deus, I'll check with the Equinox and update if you want. Could have been the corrosion.

Might be worth a check as it will help identify the type (with our without nickel).  I have never found an Indian Head Cent 'fatty' (1959-64).  Those contained 12% Ni and 88% copper (same composition as the earlier 1856-58 Flying Eagle small cents) and look grayish-white when uncorroded.  However, I do have two undug examples, both dated 1863, which air test peak ID at 16 on the ML Equinox (with a bit of broadening to show occasional 15 and 17).  As you know, the (uncorroded) 95% copper (remainder tin and/or zinc) IHC's from 1864-1909 peak around 20 with corroded (i.e. dug) specimens sometimes drooping lower.  When in the ground, possibly affected by ground minerals and/or nearby metal, the VDI's could be different still.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/19/2022 at 9:43 AM, GB_Amateur said:

Might be worth a check as it will help identify the type (with our without nickel). 

Hey GB,

Got a chance today to check on the IHP. First off it weighs a solid 4 grams in it's corroded state. I recently dug an 1888 and 1889 Indian head both with clear dates, they weigh 2.4 and 2.1g respectively.

It gave a 16/17 TID on the Equinox (more 17 than 16), and it has a shield on the back. It is also noticeably thicker.20220520_174332.thumb.jpg.948d7d2ceffa38c95324986e44d75f33.jpg20220520_173949.thumb.jpg.58eaf88562bbee11005d465381a6762f.jpg20220520_174834.thumb.jpg.8677fc715f9a2384967943c878cd91e2.jpg

the 1888 is 18/19 in air tests. 🙂  I have an 1858 somewhere, when I posted it it had no date but it also had no shield. 😀

• Like 2

On corroded cents like that I usually heat up some hydrogen peroxide in a shot glass and then throw in the coin. It fizzes a lot but breaks that green right off. On stubborn ones I do it 2 or 3 times. But I'm not telling you to do it 😄 That is just my reckless behavior.  It is a fattie and will be somewhere between 1860-1864 if you can see a shield on the back. It may be an Flying Eagle if you don't see anything on it to ID it being an Indian head.

• Like 1