Some Deus 2 Tid Data

ColonelDan

27 minutes ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Thank you ColonelDan! I'm also struggling to find some reference points for gold so I can hopefully move beyond the "dig everything" phase of learning the D2, or at least learn better probabilty points of reference to be able to do a little cherry picking on occassion.

I’ve found gold to have a wide range of TID numbers as shown on my list due to the wide range of metals mixed with the gold content.  Given that fact of detecting life, we’re all going to be digging a lot.  
I'd be satisfied with a ballpark break point between ferrous and non ferrous or low and mid level conductors.   Right now, I’m giving it my best guess right now until shown a better one.

• Like 1

I get a different number depending which program I use, and I'd be curious to know if it's a type 1 a type 2 or a type 3 gold coin that Chase gave us the numbers for (I get a different number between the small gold dollar and the large gold dollar). I have been playing around doing the same thing trying to learn my new machine.

20220518_143756~2.jpg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Aaron said:

Great job on the categorization, that’s A LOT of work!

Yes, I noticed the gold ring numbers a couple weeks ago when I tested my jewelry. I’m actually disappointed w these numbers especially w the ones in the 80s & 90s. I don’t understand why silver dollars are at 99, usually items that high are in the iron wrap around.

There’s very little differentiation between medium to large silver coins, not good….

Im no engineer, however I do know it’s not a good idea to be intermingling gold targets w silver. Hopefully this will be addressed in a future update…..

Aaron

It was a silver half dollar that came in at 99.  The Morgan silver dollar came in at 96. I find that strange.  Can someone explain to me why a the larger silver dollar came in lower than the silver half?

Colonel Dan- thanks for taking the time to do this. Detecting is an ongoing educational process and you just made it a little easier. 

1 hour ago, NCtoad said:

It was a silver half dollar that came in at 99.  The Morgan silver dollar came in at 96. I find that strange.  Can someone explain to me why a the larger silver dollar came in lower than the silver half?

Excellent question! 

What I found was that depending on the program used and its settings, the Morgan dollar registered anywhere from 95-99 while the silver half remained pretty steady at 98-99!   

Since I'm, not a software or design engineer, don't expect me to explain it.  I can't interpret the results, I merely report the results. Were I to take a guess however, I would venture to say the variance in TID was due to the different weighting of frequencies and the settings which act as filters within the various programs.  Now that guess of mine is worth just as much as you had to pay for it.😉

• Like 3

I’ve been discussing this issue of target ID’s  with Keith Southern, and that’s exactly what he is saying. When using a multiple frequency program, various targets in different frequencies are going to weight different, and w that wide VDI range, their gonna have that type of irregular pattern….

• Like 1

20 hours ago, JoeInMemphis said:

I get a different number depending which program I use, and I'd be curious to know if it's a type 1 a type 2 or a type 3 gold coin that Chase gave us the numbers for (I get a different number between the small gold dollar and the large gold dollar).

That's in interesting and informative comparison.  Since both the composition and weight were the same, the larger (15 mm) diameter compared to the smaller (13 mm) diameter necessitates a thinner coin.  Naively one might expect the larger diameter to read higher, but in this case the thickness dominates, leading the smaller (thicker) coin to have a larger VDI.

I think this effect depends upon composition, more specifically native conductivity.  Taking an equal sized (diameter and thickness) 90% silver disks, for example, may not produce the same directional result.  Just my speculation based upon differences in skin depth.

• Like 1

I get a different number depending which program I use, and I'd be curious to know if it's a type 1 a type 2 or a type 3 gold coin that Chase gave us the numbers for (I get a different number between the small gold dollar and the large gold dollar). I have been playing around doing the same thing trying to learn my new machine.

I was also expecting the larger diameter to have the higher VDI, but not the case. The type 2 and type 3 read the same. All tests on that file were air tests with stock factory programs, with the sensitivity set to 75 to quiet the chatter.

I have been hitting parks, beaches, schools at least 5 days a week and it didnt take long to figure out the D2 VDI's are very unreliable!  I dug 22 nickels last night on beach and they ranged 59-64.  Copper pennies from 89-94.  Quarters from 91- 96.  And so on, which doesnt matter I guess if ya dig it all anyways but I was used to the nox 800 and when it said 13 it was a nick and such on the other coins.   But yes gold can come in anywhere so dig it all if ya want it all.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, NCtoad said:

It could be the year the Half was minted. My 1958 Benjamin is 90% and my 1967 Kennedy is 40%.