The Southern California beaches have been very stingy lately.  Yesterday I went out for an hour on a normally productive beach and I got nada!  Not a single thing to dig.  There were no coins, trash or jewelry.  I've been close to that a few times in the last several weeks but not like this.  I notice that my wet sand beaches have had little wave energy to bring things in from the deep.  This has resulted in a sand build up rather than exposed hardpan and rock beds.  Others have noticed it too as I rarely see a detectorist at the usual places.  

We could say it is the pandemic (fewer drops) or the gas prices (fewer trips to the beach) but I'm going to say it is because of the 3rd year of La Nina.  It has caused our drought (climate change) which resulted in less snow pack and less rain.

Here is an explanation of ENSO which affects world patterns.

https://www.severe-weather.eu/long-range-2/la-nina-update-cooling-warm-cold-season-forecast-fa/#:~:text=It also shows the La,What is this%3F&text=Trends are currently in favor,the second half of 2022. 

Are your beaches still producing?

• Like 6

Great link to La Niña - ENSO data. Long read, but looks like more drought conditions for much of the country, USA.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Unfortunately not near any beaches Mitchel, but have experienced the more positive side of La Nina to the US has been getting.   Our summer here in Northeast Vic has been the wettest I can remember.  Green right through Feb/March which are usually very hot and dry.  I don't think we had a single day over 40 degrees celcius which is unusual, and very few days over 35.  All in all it has been a very pleasant summer and almost no risk of bushfires.  

I know for gold detecting around here it has certainly made it a little harder with the constantly wet ground sparking extra mineral reaction when detecting.   'Normal' mode on a GPX6000 or GPZ7000 has been next to impossible to use.   

The Australian Bureau Of Meteorology has some good ENSO updates and info.   http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/enso/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20220520_124416.thumb.jpg.289ac53a031cdfc855a9f7a8a94fe5ce.jpgFurther south at certain beaches , it is a completely different story as this pic will show. Old silver , some gold. Hitting the right spot can yield a coin buffet : all you can dig. But this is hardpan and rocks galore. The digging is absolutely brutal. Shovel is best to save your scoop.

• Like 5
  • Oh my! 1