Equinox Vs Deus 2 Separation Test Or???????????

Here is one of dozens of Deus 2/Nox comparisons done by this YouTube content creator. As he says it is a very interesting test.

I am absolutely not trying to stir up trouble here. These videos are out there for anyone to see and you interpret them anyway you want.

As an often daily modern aluminum trash/steel alloy coin and jewelry hunter AND a gold prospector using both the Equinox, Deus 1 and ORX (so no bias here) I see this test from a very different angle than the conclusions drawn by the video maker. I am a subscriber to this person's channel so I am not taking a shot at anyone here. This is just a good example of a well (I think) intentioned test that can be looked at more than one way.

I see it like this:

1.  I don't think I have ever used Field 2 on purpose for a coin and jewelry hunt in a modern aluminum/steel trashed park. I have used Park 2 but that is only after using Park 1 extensively at the same site beforehand.

2. This video shows very clearly why Field 2 would be (and is even on the Equinox 600) an excellent small gold prospecting mode.

3. It appears that Deus 2 Fast would not be such a good gold prospecting mode.

4. Deus 2 in Fast hits that dime really well and should do very well in modern aluminum/steel trashed areas if the trash is really small........

5. Equinox in Field 2 multi (ignore what the video maker says and look carefully at all of the target IDs not just the ones he points out) is actually hitting ALL of the targets (at least 4 different ones including the dime).

6. Park 1 and Field 1 multi have a very different result in this test…….….by the way.

Just my take on this very short video. You may see it very differently

• Like 3

Thanks Jeff.

I use Field 2 on dry beach sand and feel like it is the nuts.  Targets jump out at me and a very good depth also.  I use it to and from the wet sand.  I'll have to try it in the gold fields the next time I go.

Mitchel

Since this deals with separation how many of you ever raise the recovery speed in Park1 up higher than the stock setting of 4? I have only lowered it in Park1 for added depth. In Park2 I have raised it where trash is super thick, and all targets are shallow, but I've never lowered below the stock setting of 6. 

To be honest I just hunt for coins and relics. I much prefer Park1 and Park2 as my go to programs. Whatever they did with the Equinox in those 2 programs they did right because if you never adjust anything they are still fantastic.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

I am absolutely not trying to stir up trouble here. These videos are out there for anyone to see and you interpret them anyway you want.

My two pesos. I don't hunt on top of cardboard boxes or foam. 🙄

• Like 2

2 hours ago, longbow62 said:

Since this deals with separation how many of you ever raise the recovery speed in Park1 up higher than the stock setting of 4?

Park1 stock Recovery Speed (RS) setting on the 800 is 5 (from page 51 of the user manual):

1381471171_Screenshotat2022-05-20125140.png.5acbbec2910719bb6caa5369adfeceac.png

Having said that, I run Park 1 with RS = 4 when park and school hunting for old coins.  I use Field 2 (but RS = 6) for checking USA nickel signals when I get a strong (3 bar or less) signal as that is pretty good at identifying beavertail (only) tabs masquerading as nickels.  (Gives lots of VDI = 11 when Park 1 says 12-13 if it's a shallow beavertail.)

There's a lot of discussion on the Dankowski Forum from mid-2019 about lowering recovery speed.  (Thanks to UtahRich for posting this link recently on Monte's forum.  I think it's been posted here previously, long ago.)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I agree. Removing dirt from the equation negates tests as far as I’m concerned. It’s like racing cars by jacking them up with tires off the ground, and comparing speedometer readings. Seems like some people never metal detect, just test, and test, and test. It's an actual subset of the hobby now, just like coin detecting or relic detecting. But hey, as long as they are having fun, that's all that matters. Me, I'd rather go find stuff. :smile:

Right on Steve!   I’d much rather spend my precious metal detecting time actually detecting.  However there are times when I’ll do a few tests just to wrap my head around how the detector functions under certain circumstances.  When I do those tests, the objects I’m testing are sitting directly on the ground which still isn’t anything close to an object that has been sitting in the ground undisturbed for many years.  This discussion also reminds of guys who swear every nickel they’ve ever dug rang up as a 12 on a nox!   You just gotta take these tests with a grain of salt.  

• Like 3

Sorry must have forgot it was 5. Have not ran mine on 5 in Park1 for so long must have forgotten. Thought it was 4 where mine stays most of the time. Yeah I've read everything on Dankowski's forum about recovery speed. I've just never heard anyone mention turning up the recovery in Park1. Seems most turn it down. Wasn't it stated that 3 was actually the fastest it would go and every time you raise the recovery number after 3 you are just affecting the audio response? 

1 hour ago, longbow62 said:

Sorry must have forgot it was 5. Have not ran mine on 5 in Park1 for so long must have forgotten. Thought it was 4 where mine stays most of the time. Yeah I've read everything on Dankowski's forum about recovery speed. I've just never heard anyone mention turning up the recovery in Park1. Seems most turn it down. Wasn't it stated that 3 was actually the fastest it would go and every time you raise the recovery number after 3 you are just affecting the audio response? 

Wherever you read that 3 was the fastest recovery speed, they might have been talking about the 600.  There is no audio response on the nox.  Audio response is volume modulation where deeper targets sound fainter than shallow targets.  IMO the nox has poor modulation no matter what the recovery speed is set to.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NCtoad said:

Audio response is volume modulation where deeper targets sound fainter than shallow targets.  IMO the nox has poor modulation no matter what the recovery speed is set to

Actually no.  The equinox has gradual modulation just like many detectors do.
The speaker or provided headphones with the Equinox will NEVER bring the Equinox to the level of performance required for complete knowledge of the detector.
Only those who have performance hearing options will be able to understand the Equinox fully. {as with MANY detectors to date}