Help Me Decide, GPX 6000 Or GPZ 7000?

Which is best for me, GPX 6000 or GPZ 7000:  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Which is best for me, GPX 6000 or GPZ 7000:

• 6000 kit. Plus the 17" mono.
    • 7000 kit. Plus the 19" and probably NF12.

With your gold sizes, the environment you will be detecting in, plus your experience with the GM1000....the choice is obvious: The GPX6000 with a narrow coil (the Goldhawk 10x5 or Xceed 12x7). Forget the 17" ellip mono for now....you wont need it in your circumstances. Even an SDC2300 with a 10x5 coil should be better than a Monster....

• Like 4

10 hours ago, tboykin said:

No contest, the 6000. I spend most of my time chasing pocket gold in the PNW woods. No harness, just a backpack and GPX in hand. Try swinging a GPZ with the harness, bungee, and swing arm for a few hours in the brush. Or even just bushwhacking to that mine a mile up the mountain. I did for a year and then got a GPX6000 when it came out.

That and the fact that you are chasing small gold makes it an easy choice to me.

Keep in mind if the areas you are detecting have been worked, you will have days where you dig hundreds of pieces of iron, lead, and tin. I just got off one of those trips and it can be frustrating. But the days where you find some nice gold make it worth it!

Listen to this guy.

• Like 5

Coming from the GM, go for the 6000, no question (IMO). Start by using the detector with the lowest sensitivity setting (still amazing) and get slowly used to it. Then, over time gradually dial up the sensitivity but bare in mind that it will take some practice and experience to run the machine efficiently at higher gain or auto. Use threshold-on right away and learn to listed to threshold variations. Also, get the 10x5 Coiltek coil (or NF equivalent)-once available, this will be better for your terrain. I do not recommend the 7000 for you!

GC

• Like 3

Thank you to everyone who replied. I'll go through and try to respond to everyone in my next post (if I can).

I can see 64% of you are onboard with the 6000. Mostly because of the gold size, or weight, or both. This makes sense.

However one element which is extremely important to me is depth. I do apologize for my lengthly first post, and I anticipate many people skipped it. But depth is important to me, for reasons shared above. Only a few people addressed this.

Currently (and this *might* change) I am looking at one machine to do everything. Each machine will be compromised in some way. I would like to better understand the nature of the compromises (some of you shared here, and thank you). But big picture, I don't want to pull the trigger on the 6000 until I better understand how it compares in depth wise. We all know the 7000 is better here. But how much better? Please help me understand.

Thanks,
Nick.

More replies to come....

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Nickw said:

But big picture, I don't want to pull the trigger on the 6000 until I better understand how it compares in depth wise. We all know the 7000 is better here. But how much better? Please help me understand.

Potential expected gold size is important...the 7000 pulls away from the 6000 (in the depth match) when multi-gram or multi-ounce sized gold could be anticipated. Because this isn't a major factor for you AND narrow coils are a must when working rocky, river oriented terrain (which the 7000 lacks), then once again, the 6000 wins the contest.

• Like 2

Depth, sensitivity, weight are not the major factor to consider, it is gold yield. Depth and sensitivity depends on size of gold being found. Note the old rule of thumb is that to double the depth you need 64 times more amplification ( therefor battery uses is massively increased) To a small degree depth can be increased by having a larger coil ( depth cuts out at the meter/yard mark...Doubling the coil size will not double the depth maybe 20% increase).

So yield is your goal ..... Find the size and depth for the area you will detect and set your self up with a detector that will allow you to do the 8 hours ( or the time you detect for) that is comfortable, allows full concentration the whole time.

From the feed back you have got and the selection you have asked for GPX-6000 or GPZ-7000 the best, is in favour of the 6000. If you make the wrong choice with the 6000 I am sure the ounce or two to swap would be found soon, providing your location is worth doing for returns (not fun) in no time.   

• Like 3

On 5/19/2022 at 9:51 PM, tboykin said:

No contest, the 6000. I spend most of my time chasing pocket gold in the PNW woods. No harness, just a backpack and GPX in hand. Try swinging a GPZ with the harness, bungee, and swing arm for a few hours in the brush. Or even just bushwhacking to that mine a mile up the mountain. I did for a year and then got a GPX6000 when it came out.

That and the fact that you are chasing small gold makes it an easy choice to me.

Keep in mind if the areas you are detecting have been worked, you will have days where you dig hundreds of pieces of iron, lead, and tin. I just got off one of those trips and it can be frustrating. But the days where you find some nice gold make it worth it!

Thanks for the reply. The size of the 6000 is very alluring, no doubt there. I actually would like to try swinging a 7000/14 or 7000/19 for a while, even if to just gain some personal understanding and experience with it.

The small gold comment makes sense to me. I just wanted to better understand the trade off with bigger gold and depth.

In terms of bushwacking, this is an area where I have a big advantage. As a whole our forrests aren't nearly as thick as the coastal ones. While there is a mix, they are more arid than people realize. I think many would be surprised. I'll try and take some pics this weekend.  That said, we do get a good range. But much if it is open, and has been previously logged. It's not too bad.

As for digging junk targets, I fully anticipate I'll be digging more.  There is a lot of old timer trash around here. 

On 5/19/2022 at 9:54 PM, phrunt said:

I prefer the 7000, but it's really up to the end user, I've had a bad run with my 6000 which doesn't help.

This statement you've said goes for both, although I think more so for the GPX than the GPZ

"Takes more skill. One must work slower and more methodically. Keeping good coil control, paying attention."

I don't think you'll see a big coil for the GPX, the aftermarket guys have already demonstrated that with their planned coil releases.  I'd be very surprised if there was ever a big coil for it.

Thanks for your input. Interesting with your skill comment regarding the GPX. I guess once a person gets used to the 6000 or 7000 way of doing things, switching ones mindsets takes some active mental work?

I'm happy to learn the quirks and nuances of the machine I end up with. I know its part of the process.

As for the large coils with the GPX, now that the GPZ is out (and Minelab controls who is can make aftermarket coils), it wouldn't surprise me if you're right. Large GPX coils may have ended with the 5000. Hopefully not. I genuinely hope Minelab realizes not everyone can buy both machines.

I hope they don't artificially limit the 6000, just so the 7000 doesn't feel threatened. I fully anticipate v2 of the ZVT technology to take a good step forward. Thats often how technology works these days. Invent new technology, then refine it. I think the GPZ series is always going to be a step a head of the GPX solely based on ZVT tech.

On 5/19/2022 at 11:03 PM, Jeff McClendon said:

If the area you are in has even mild to moderate EMI, you will need the 14" DD coil for the GPX 6000. If you have to resort to using the 14" DD you may still need a harness/hipstick especially in rocky, uneven, mountainous terrain. If you don't have EMI issues and can use the 11" mono with no harness, the GPX 6000 is easy to use, easy to swing and super easy to master. 

I have no experience with the GPZ 7000 other than swinging one for an hour a couple of years ago and deciding to move on/wait for something lighter.

I am a longtime GPX 5000/4800 owner. The GPX 6000 with the 11" coil is extremely sensitive compared to the 5000. Currently, I still think the 5000 is deeper on larger gold simply because it can be used with much bigger coils. 

Being somewhat remote and shielded by the mountains, EMI isn't bad around here. That said we do have lots of blacksands which makes things harder.

With the 7000, I think I could get used to the weight. I'm about 180cm and 90kg. Would I like smaller? Sure. Could I get used to the 7k with a bungee or arm support? I think so. Although, no doubt, smaller and lighter is much better.

In terms of the 5000 and larger coils, that is why I'm hoping Minelab either makes one, or allows others too. I think the latest in the GPX line with a big coil would suit me just fine. 

On 5/19/2022 at 11:06 PM, GotAU? said:

Jeff is right, what about considering a used 5000 or 4500 with a larger coil for depth and a 6000 with stock coils for scouting new ground?

This is a really interesting idea, and made me do a 180 mentally. Really, this single idea changed my entire train of thought. Thank you! 

For the price of a new 7000 kit and coils, I could buy a 6000 kit AND a used 5000 with a larger coil specifically for depth. Essentially I can have my cake and eat it too. Nice, I like it!  😃  😛

Which then led me to the next thought.....
People seem to anticipate the 7000 replacement with in a few years. Once that happens, an original used GPZ might drop to half of current price? Thus if I get a 6000 now, I could perhaps add a used 7000 later. Maybe for a similar price of buying a new GPZ set up today. I can only hope. 

In the meantime, the choice is clear. Get a 6000. And see what happens:

• Perhaps a depth focused coil will be released at some point.
  • Perhaps do a used 7000 later, once the replacement is released
  • Or perhaps the GPZ mark 2 blow all our minds. The size/weight of a 6000, with more depth than the current Z. Or something of the sort. Either way, sell the 6000 and upgrade.

I like the options this approach brings me. 

Thank you for putting this idea in my head!

On 5/19/2022 at 11:08 PM, Valens Legacy said:

From the gold you have shown us I know that you know where the gold is at.

With that being said if it were me I would go with the 6000 for it's weight. The 6000 is simple to use and once you are used to it, I am sure that it will do you right.

Good luck on your decision and good luck on your next hunt.

Many thanks. Based on the above reply, I am heavily leaning towards the 6000 now.

As for learning where gold is. It has been a process. One which I am very much enjoying. I get to combine hiking and being outside, along with learning about geology. Mix in a little challenge, and the allure of some buried treasure. I'm very much enjoying this hobby. 

On 5/19/2022 at 11:10 PM, geof_junk said:

NickW I got my first bit of gold (in a pan as a kid with Dad) over 60+ years ago, and have been detecting gold for 40+ years. I have included some gold photos of gold that I have found with old technology VLF and ML_3000 detectors with coils less than 11" wide. These nuggets are the most common size found even on remote virgin patches that I have found. Some of my bigger finds were specimens, I can remember more than 60 ounces of gold from less than ten of them them. As there is a good range of smaller gold in the following photos I would say you would be best to go for the GPX_6000 however if you get hooked on doing flogged deep ground or large deep nuggets I would then buy a second/backup detector with your finds and that would be the GPZ_7000 update when it comes out. The main thing is how you use the detector and the size of the gold you are chasseing.👍  It my birthday tomorrow and since that makes me nearly double your age my views are for an old timer so GPZ_7000 weight might be more acceptable for a young buck such as yourself.😁

Thanks. I enjoy the hunt too.

Having both machines really does seem like the best option. Use each for what they excel at. Thanks to some of the kind advise and thoughts above, I may be able to do this.

Having a second/back up detector is nice too.

I am very interested in trying to find some of the larger deeper nuggets. I know they are there. I think shallow hidden bedrock, or old hydraulic mined banks are my best chance. Which is why I don't want to entirely give up on having a machine with good depth.

On 5/19/2022 at 11:37 PM, jasong said:

Nice gold Geoff and I agree with the wording too. If I already owned a GM1000 and wanted to buy just one single detector to use in the Rockies, it'd be the 6000. Just be ready to noise cancel it often if you use the speaker or work close to EMI sources. 

The 7000 was an absolute bear to use in Colorado the one day I tried (I dislocated my shoulder falling after trying to detect a steep incline, so trip ended), and having also been to BC, things are just as steep and even more vegetated up there. 

It's been long enough since the 7000 release that a new one must be on the horizon soon so it's not really a machine I'd recommend anyone to buy right now really until we see what the next one costs and how it performs. 

Thanks for sharing. Sorry to hear about your dislocated shoulder.

I do see the allure to the lovely little 6000. However, I do think I could get used to a 7000 too. 

In terms of vegetation, I don't think it's as bad as people think. Or perhaps others are just used to desert, so it seem bad to them? I'm also used to a costal rain forrest, so an inland semi arid forrest (up in the mountains) doesn't seem very bad.

Perhaps it's all relative?
The famous experiment/example with 3 buckets of water comes to mind. One bucket is filled with hot water (around body temp 37c/98.6f), one with cold water (ice water) and the last with warm water (in the middle for temperature). A person puts one hand in the hot bucket, and the other in the cold bucket. 30 seconds later they place both hands in the warm bucket. Even though both hands are now in the same temperature water, the hand which was previously in hot water now feels very cold, the hand which was previously in cold water now feels burning hot. As human we really do measure things on a relative scale. The phenomenon works wether we are consciously aware of it, or not.

Taken another step: imagine a previous version of the GPZ which weighed 12.5lbs, the new 7.3lb version would seem like a godsend. The power of the first one, with this new lighter weight... it would fly off the shelves. Or alternatively when contrasting the current 6000 with the 7000. The 6000 seems so much better.

On 5/20/2022 at 2:45 AM, Northeast said:

A GPX6 for my mind.  

Better for your terrain.

Actually optimum for the size of gold you’re targeting. 

Not 100% sure but I imagine swinging the 19” coil for the 7000 would last about 1 hr and you’d give up.  

Re: coils for the GPX6, at some stage  there will hopefully be a smaller, elliptical, DD coil that will eliminate any EMI concerns/hot ground and make tight space use better.

I can’t find it but I’m sure JP said on here that when large coils came out for the GPX6 that performance will match (better?) a 5000.  

And a GPX6 is heaps cheaper.  And when things go really well you can get the GPZ 8000 when it’s released next year  🥷 🥸

Thanks for sharing. It's much appreciated. I know the 6000 is fantastic for the smaller gold. I was just trying to consider the best overall package. Which is why I was wondering so much about the 6000/17 depth capabilities.

From looking more on youtube, most peoples tests do show the 17" mono hits the marginal targets with more authority, then goes a little deeper before it offers up a marginal reading. A 15-20% increase seems somewhat common across the board (compared to the 11" mono).

I do expect the 7000/19 combo to be heavy. It would primarily be on flatter terrain and easier spots. For example, I found a high bench which I don't think has been worked much (based on the age of the trees). Based on the few bedrock outcroppings the river didn't flow there for very long. I would like to be able to work these areas, plus scan for other places where the bedrock gets close to the surface. I might get lucky, or I might find very little, but I would like to try. If I get the 6000, I just want it to do a reasonably good job here. To satisfy my mind if the results are so so.  

If you find the posts about larger coils coming for the GPX6, please let me know. As for a GPZ 8000, thats my new plan C above 😉 

Thanks again.

• Like 2

Depth isn't as important as you might be thinking it is. If you are in mostly undetected country, then most of the gold within reach of a 7000 is also still within reach of a 6000. The two are separated in terms of inches, or less depending on the coils and nuggets. 

What is most important at your experience level is learning to find good gold first, and the 6000 is built for that type of exploration. In steep, vegetated terrain, the GPZ is very difficult to use. And the 19" coil isn't a whole lot deeper, but is a whole lot heavier. It's the last coil I'd ever consider using up in the mountains, in fact I'd never use it for anything personally. Also: in highly uneven mountainous terrain, or working cuts and steeps, the bungee/harness doesn't help much at all.

The 6000 is purpose built for working steeps, finding patches, and general exploration. The 7000 is built for getting another few inches depth in patches you've already found, or other known ground where you suspect the gold is hiding inches beyond what the 6000 can hear. 

In glacial terrain the depth of the detector isn't nearly as important as learning to find shallower ground. Glaciers leave gold so chaotically distributed that prospecting skill is far more valuable than having the best detector, and IMO the 6000 is the best detector by far to explore with and develop such a skillset.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, Aureous said:

With your gold sizes, the environment you will be detecting in, plus your experience with the GM1000....the choice is obvious: The GPX6000 with a narrow coil (the Goldhawk 10x5 or Xceed 12x7). Forget the 17" ellip mono for now....you wont need it in your circumstances. Even an SDC2300 with a 10x5 coil should be better than a Monster....

I'm not really wanting a detector for tight spaces. As shared, the river has been worked over hard. The gold in the river now is primarily smaller which is being annually redeposited. I have been panning it for years. Its not really detector type material. Its material fit for a highbanker.

I'm trying off the beaten path. Looking to find new areas and deposits. Many of the places tend to be more open. Trees have room between them in the more mild areas. Hillsides have room to move, etc... and there tends to be more depth of material. So I'm currently favouring a bigger coil, which can cover more ground, and have some reasonable depth.

That said, I'm certainly happy they are making smaller coils. At some point I will want one. But I have years of area to scan with a bigger coil first.

20 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Listen to this guy.

I am. 🙂.  I'm trying to soak in as much as possible, and wrap my mind around things.

Thank you for all the effort you've put into this forum. It is much appreciated!

20 hours ago, Gold Catcher said:

Coming from the GM, go for the 6000, no question (IMO). Start by using the detector with the lowest sensitivity setting (still amazing) and get slowly used to it. Then, over time gradually dial up the sensitivity but bare in mind that it will take some practice and experience to run the machine efficiently at higher gain or auto. Use threshold-on right away and learn to listed to threshold variations. Also, get the 10x5 Coiltek coil (or NF equivalent)-once available, this will be better for your terrain. I do not recommend the 7000 for you!

GC

Thanks for sharing. I hear what your recommendation is. I do see many advantages to the 6000.

I'm also curious if you can add anything to my depth questions regarding the 6000? As shared that is important to me. Can you help paint a picture how the 6000/17 does compared to the 7000?

In terms of small coils, as shared just above, I'm not looking to poke about in the river. Rather cover ground and find new unworked areas.

Out of curiosity, why you don't recommend the 7000? Is it primarily because of its weight and the terrain? Or because of it's learning curve? Just trying to understand.

I'm happy to put the effort and hours in. Everyone does have to start somewhere. I do understand the weight issue, thats not lost on me. I'm just trying to fully understand each's strength and weakness so I can pick the best overall compromise.

I think it doesn't matter which one you buy, you'll always wonder if the other one would have been better.  That's at least how my brain works 🙂

I had to get them all then I decided which I prefer based upon my needs and what I like about a detector.  Actually I didn't bother with the SDC as I had enough evidence I'd be wasting my money on that one.

Getting something like a 4500 or 5000 along with the 6000 makes some sense as you can throw a decent size coil on it if you want too for the extra depth and that maybe your best move and possibly what I'd do in your situation, but if you were to believe Minelab's marketing and their star chart you'd see the older GPX series is not near as deep as the 7000 or even the 6000.   Sorry to throw a spanner in the works, but don't read too much into that chart.

minelab-gpx-6000-relative-performance-chart.jpg.3b3ac67d034eba1b972ec527a1d4bc9c.thumb.jpg.9ff9bb778ffc3dc706a30a191da23847.jpg

One thing I will add, weight is subjective, some people seem to care a lot more than others that's for sure and the 6000 weighs 2.1 kg (4.6 lb) with the 11" coil, the GPZ weighs 3.32 kg (7.32 lb) including GPZ 14 coil, is that a big difference to you?  To some it clearly is as they focus a lot on the weight, to others it's not.    I don't think weights the problem so much as RSI, repetitive strain is going to happen with either detector so if you're concerned about weight so much you'd want to use a bungee with both detectors if you're using them a lot and then when rigged up like that weight isn't really an issue anymore with either as it takes the weight away.  If you're on hilly rough ground where you have to do the heavy lifting the lighter weight of the 6000 makes more of a difference than smooth ground and in that case it is the better choice.

I think standard packages out of the box the 6000 might be your best bet for what you want to use it for, is there a service agent nearby? Might come in handy if there is.

The 19" GPZ coil is one of Minelab's biggest mistakes, the only people that seem to use or approve of it are those selling it.  I really don't think you'd want to use that coil.   I rarely hear of anyone using it and many people have it, I've never used mine but I'm not in an area suitable for it, even if I was I would never use it.

The 7000 is no harder to use than the 6000, in fact I find it much easier as it's better behaved and it doesn't take a genius to work out the settings. 

You're not making a mistake which ever you choose, it's not like there are other brands to choose from anyway.  You could just pick up a working used GPX 4500 and start with that and see if you think your mission is even going to work out before spending more money, it's not all that far behind the others for what you're wanting to use it for.

• Like 6