Larger Pinpointer With More Power & Depth

Is there a more powerful/deeper alternative to the usual pinpointers.?

Need a small handheld, waterproof nugget detector, with a 2"-4" coil, suitable for snorkelling in small streams. Alternatively, a backpack mounted normal detector(in a waterproof bag), with a tiny coil directly held in the hand, or on a small 6" handle, might work

I know there is the NOKTA POINTER & GARRETT PRO POINTER AT. (Lacking depth, and sweep coverage)

Also seen the DETECTOR PRO Pistol Probes, VIBRA QUATIC & VIBRA TECTOR 730, & FALCON MD20. Would any of these work for me? (Possibly too low a frequency for nuggets)

Anyone got any ideas

I have a 4 inch Tesoro coil that could hook up to a Tesoro detector, not sure which model, the one above the Compadre?  Then modify a coil stem to the length you want and improvise a handle,  You would have to detach the control housing from the S rod and put it in a waterproof box, maybe an Otterbox and maybe float it somehow in a small innertube ,and get a waterproof set of headphones and run the headphone cable down to your head from the detector. But all the waterproof phones I know of have proprietary connectors, like the Blue  ones Garrett uses on the AT Pro or Infinium or the Detector Pro Headhunter Diver. Be sure NOT to raise the coil or phones above the control box as water will run down the cable and short out the connector and control box. I've unknowingly made this mistake myself.

Heck, I am tempted to try this myself for swim areas where they don't want me wading with a detector in hand. But then I would need air to breathe...complications....

Here ya go I got a mate on another forum to test his Vibraprobe pin pointer and this is what he come up with, my PP sees bits smaller but it is not waterproof which is the key factor here

Hope this helps,, John

A few of you may remember my posts where I mentioned me using the VibraProbe while detecting. I love mine, and use it always. I have also been asked if it can detect gold. Yes it can. I have also been asked as to what is the smallest piece of gold it can detect. So, I got some gold nuggets together and recorded the results in an open air test. Just remember that a pinpointer is not a substitute for a metal detector unless you enjoy crawling around on your hands and knees and enjoy digging targets under 3 inches deep. RESULTS:

Grams.             inches

.3.                      .375

.4.                      .500

.5.                      .500

.6.                      .625

.8.                      .750

1.1.                     .875

1.3.                     .875

1.7.                     1.00

Zinc penny.       1.50

copper penny.   1.50

5 cents.              1.50

Dime.                  1.50

Quarter.              1.625

Dusty's test.jpg

• Like 1

I don't personally know anything about this one but appears it may be a Pulse induction probe and some use it snorkeling. Pretty good reviews on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Treasure-Products-Vibra-Quatic-2-Pinpointer/dp/B00281SWG8/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_sims?ie=UTF8

Guest Paul (Ca)

For what you're wanting to do (snorkelling), I feel Pi is your best source.  Mineralization will effect pinpointers performance, especially in water. Even if you're able to hook up a good VLF to a small coil and mount the control box inside a waterproof bag or mount inside a back pack, mineralization will still weaken the signal sensitivity will greatly be reduced.

I've used Pi pinpointers for years, both land and water. Here are a few ideas, maybe one will work. These are my current Pi pinpointers, they've taken a beating over the years but continue to find the goods.

My most sensitive Pi Probe is an inline Probe on my waterproof 10us Gold Quest, suppose could remove the coil, plug the connector and use the unit as a Probe only and as a hipmount with waterproof GrayGhost headset for what you're wanting to do.

Detector Pro had the HeadHunter Pi with Probe, it too can be submerged and although not as sensitive as the 10us GoldQuest the HH Pi is 15us and pretty decent on small finds.

My land Pi Probes are all HeadHunter (HH) circuitry powered, one modified Pistol Probe and a modified HH Pi circuit board inside a Compass housing....These are great for land, very sensitive and extreamly deep.

My only non Pi Probe is a White's TRX, very sensitive and deep. It's a keeper, great for land.

Good luck and please share your future pinpointer project.

All the best,

Paul

IMG_20160408_071206.jpg

IMG_20160408_061943.jpg

IMG_20160408_071035.jpg

IMG_20160408_071110.jpg

Hello Paul.

Thanks for your input. Very impressive setups you have there.

What kind of depth are you getting with the HEADHUNTER headset and probe under water?

Been googlin those GOLDQUEST machines. With that 10us, they seem to have been the best suited, underwater, beach, gold finder in their day. Reports say better than the newer TDI and INFINEUM.

I wonder how it would compare against the highly rated ATX at the beach?

I believe the aquasearch version is waterproof. Do you Know what the differences are on the V2 and V3?

What handheld probe are you using on the GOLDQUEST?

Most of your machines as you say are pi. Would some of the new generation VLF machines do the same job.(freshwater) e.g. A NOKTA AU GOLD FINDER, backpack mounted with a small coil on a hand held stem/rod?

What percentage in depth would be lost in the water with VLF technology?

Starting to think an SDC 2300 might be ideal

Thankyou everyone for the advice and input

jim