What Does Everybody Use For Tick Protection?

I ordered Sawyer permethrin so I'll be all set.

Thank you everybody.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gold Catcher said:

How effective? I could not find that info....

strick 

54 minutes ago, strick said:

How effective? I could not find that info....

Looks pretty promising. Will be a three shot vaccination. 

https://valneva.com/press-release/valneva-announces-positive-initial-results-for-phase-2-study-of-lyme-disease-vaccine-candidate/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good thing, because I've already plucked 4 of the deer tick nymphs off me this year despite efforts to repel them. The larger ticks are dropping from the trees now. 🤬 Killed one yesterday on my mower, and picked a couple off my neck.

If you catch a tick within the first 12 hours (fingernail method) you will more likely avoid Lyme Disease. 48 and the chances are increased. Nymphs bite multiple times.

Going to try the Sawyer's stuff, thanks. I also use Picardin on skin.

• Like 2
  • Oh my! 1

Don't use permethrin on your skin? It's only for outside of clothes. Use deet on skin.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Rick N. MI said:

Don't use permethrin on your skin? It's only for outside of clothes. Use deet on skin.

Right but Picardin is ok. It's the new non stinky or oily deet.

• Like 2

Ok, I haven't heard of Picardin. I looked it up and it better than deet. I'll have to get some of that too.

• Like 2

Let me add one thing to this discussion, if you have a cat, permethrin is highly toxic to them. It’s said to be safe(ish?) once it has dried and bonded to clothing, but in its liquid form it’s a hazard. Dogs seem unaffected. I know birds are unaffected too, as treating feathers of young birds is how they can be protected from avian black flies when working with imperiled species. I spray the inside of my birdhouses prior to nesting season and it significantly cuts dow on parasites in the nest. 

• Like 4

I use lavender oil spray on our dog all the time and on me when I go into the woods. It’s a little more expensive but it seems to work very well and there are no toxic chemicals. One of God’s natural repellents for ticks and fleas.

• Like 3