Pick Magnet Mounting Location (updated With Followup)?

Seems you had your mind made up where you were going to mount your magnet before asking the question. In your 2nd to last photo with the magnet sticking that far out is just crazy. Must be close on half an inch. That wouldn't last 5 minutes in ground I dig into. I have mine recessed into the end of the handle & has been in there for years with no issues. Have even had the pick blade rebuilt a few times due to wearing down. I also use my pick as a walking stick & the magnet has handled that just fine. I guess what we can take from this is the differing ground we all have to deal with & while this way & position of the magnet may work for you then that is great. So no hard & fast answer & we all work out what is going to suit us individually.

D4G 

18 hours ago, dig4gold said:

Seems you had your mind made up where you were going to mount your magnet before asking the question.

If you read carefully the full thread you might come to a different conclusion.  I had very specific constraints which I explained.  My thread title was too general -- my bad.  I really was asking how far back from the edge to put it.

In your 2nd to last photo with the magnet sticking that far out is just crazy.

The mounting boss is 9/32" (just over a quarter inch) -- enough to allow room for screw threads.  The magnet is also about 1/4".  Attaching the magnet directly to the surface would save that 9/32" but (IMO) make it less convertible/replaceable.  That led to my choice.  Could I have gotten away with about half the boss thickness?  With extra care in screw choice, etc., probably.

I have mine recessed into the end of the handle.... I also use my pick as a walking stick & the magnet has handled that just fine.

Good to know.  I was concerned that going over solid rock would damage the magnet when I was using it for walking support.

There are many reasons to create a post.  I always hope that regardless of how specific mine are that eventually someone else will gain knowledge from them.  I've certainly learned greatly from so many here and strive to reciprocate.

• Like 2