6000gpx Coil Wish List

I wish the X Coils guys posted some update on the forum, I'm pretty curious what they think about whether or not the 6000 is suitable for flat windings, concentrics, etc and wether they can make some coils that have actual performance gains and not just size selections. 

Righto trust it`s OK to start this thread off with your post Jasong. I respect and understand our OZ aftermarkets coil manufacturers working with ML, that is their bread and butter.  

For my bread and butter, a small as, light as, CC coil firstly say around 8/9/10 inch if this is possible with the CC depth capabilities coil size relative to what I`ve experienced with the X CC coil on the Z , and down the track a larger one. As I`ve said before I`m prepared to sacrifice my 14DD 6K coil for a dongle to allow the use of a couple of coils, this I believe will make the magic ML 6K even more magic.

• Like 2

The part I'm curious about is wether they can squeeze more performance out when it's thought impossible, or if there really are hardline limitions with coil designs on the 6000 and the existing coils are already up against them. It was said you couldn't do this or that with 7000 coils because of over saturation, inability to balance in many soils, etc. But they found a way. Is it the same with the 6000?

I never personally saw any issues that required me to use the ferrite ring with any GPZ coil, including stock. Nor did I ever see any issues with the X Coils failing to balance, aside from a few quirks in some very specific areas. So, it seems like a silly limitation to require all coils to be designed for global users such that they operate ok in difficult soils that I (and many others) will never detect in our lifetimes.

My wish list ultimately would to be able to have coils for the 6000 that let me get rid of my 7000. If such a thing is possible. Because I'm pretty tired of the boat anchor. Whatever those coils may be that get me closer to that goal, even if it just means using the GPZ less than I already do, then I'm all for it.

• Like 1

Aye downunder winter is barra season as well as gold season for this FNQer, your lost upover and forgotten the go?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, jasong said:

It was said you couldn't do this or that with 7000 coils because of over saturation, inability to balance in many soils, etc. But they found a way. Is it the same with the 6000?

The SDC was I guess the first ML detector such was said of and as with the 7000 we know now that was not reality, there is some "discrepancy" between marketing and reality with most products, the customer sorts it out in time. 

• Like 1

Lack of QC was given or assumed as another reason X Coils couldn't be approved, IIRC.

Ironic, given the QC issues with the 6000 now. :unsure: 

This last detector release made me realize that I am getting seriously burned out and tired of buying ultra expensive detectors to fill various niches. Especially now that gold is just getting harder to find in paying quantities, at least here in the US. I think I got one more new machine left in me and then I'm done with that game. 

I love keeping up with technology and being on the cutting edge, I'm that way with everything I do from job to hobby. I'll be ultra stoked and excited on the next GPZ, and probably buy it if it suits me. But it might be my last. I can feel myself just losing interest in the entire Minelab marketing shenanigans in general, it's just old and tiresome to me at this point and cuts into my enthusiasm for products. They are trying to emulate the Apple playbook in some ways, and even Apple with the most rabidly loyal fanbase in the world learned that eventually customers get tired of it, when it becomes clear things are intended more to mine their wallets than to provide awesome new features and usability that users are asking for. This type of product segmentation, requiring customers to only use "corporate approved" crap, this is not what made companies like Apple great, it's what made loyal customers start to get tired with or even angry with them, and Minelab is starting to fall into that category to me.

All that aside, I'm actually pretty content right now with the 11" mono myself, it is what it is and I'd certainly use something better if it was available, but just the weight and usability is enough for me at the moment since I really want a break from the GPZ. I'd take a smaller coil to save some more weight, I don't particularly need it though. I'd definitely take a concentric, flat wound, or other coil that gives me greater performance with a lighter weight, of any size, if it can cut into the 7000's territory a bit more. If any manufacturer wants to make such a thing, or if it's possible. But, there is nothing interesting to me about just simply a smaller coil just based on size, if it doesn't at least perform better in some way.

• Like 2

A pity that we have to go Overseas to get coils that push the envelope....there's at least 4 coil technicians in Australia that could easily build the coils needed for these tasks but the development time and costs would be a couple weeks of labor @ $50 an hour plus getting the coil shells and plugs is always an issue. 

• Like 1

I'm sorry to say but X-coils are now not intending to make GPX 6000 coils for public sale.  With the difficulty of the chip being inside the coil and both Coiltek and Nugget Finder having the chips it's really not a viable thing to do.  They have a good selection of coils for personal use now in various sizes which also run quieter than the standard coils and I'm sure they could work their magic and make all sorts of coils for the GPX including concentric coils, it's just not worthwhile with the chip situation.

All the chip does is hurt the customers, imagine the range of coils that would be available from a range of manufacturers if there were no limits on what they could make.

X-coils currently have 10x6", 8" Round, 12x6", 15x10" and 12" round coils for the 6000.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

That`s a bummer, hopefully enough interest develops in their envelope pushing coils to maybe have a small run of say CC coils to test the water so to speak.

• Like 3

Yea, I really think a spiral concentric coil would be a killer coil on the GPX.

• Like 3