When The Wind Blows...

4 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

She has a good eye (as does my wife), and they both leave the gold for us value-hungry detectorists.  :laugh:  Your ring to coin ratio for that hunt seems pretty high to me, but that might be because I don't beach hunt and I mentally discriminate outside the coin VDI zones.  All six of them are attractive, even if not all are valuable.  Were you doing any discrimation above the ferrous cutoff?

GB- yea I thought I had more coins then that in the pouch...but way more sinkers they usual. Lots of bottle caps at that beach the corroded ones give a nice solid 10-11 until they are out of the hole. F2 at the 3 setting helped. I don't disk anything out while hunting the beach...I may pass on a few zinc pennys when and did when I would get into a cluster of them. I tumbled the silver rings for a couple hours to pretty them up for the pic. 

strick

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mn90403 said:

Did the gold test out positive?  I found one with a 'nice looking' stone but it wasn't gold either.  You need bling at the beach not the real thing.

Yes I tested it at home...acid  tests to 18k. The ring jumps between 16-17 VID on the Nox in Field 2.  

strick 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Great day on the beach, strick, and 6 rings, just awesome! That 18K ring probably had a real diamond originally. It's not uncommon for some unscrupulous jewelers to switch out stones when repairing or cleaning rings. It happened to me once. Great find regardless and still gold, well done! 

I dont trust any of them..this jeweler I went to I've had repair things for me and he is ok for that but I bought a gold ring for my mom on mothers day once from him that he tried to pass off as 14k when it was stamped 10k lol. He did say everything was real except for the center stone about 2 carets... he said it would have been a 16K ring with a high quality diamond. After he looked at it he tried to sell me a diamond for it 🙂 

strick 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Oh my! 3

This mirrors my experience with jewelers.

• Like 1

Really nice hunt! Those rings are sweet. Lots of big lead as well (potential gold targets). Them wives have a habit of snagging our goods 🤬

• Haha 1

Fantastic hunt, great saves on the rings. Any idea on who made the ring with the fake stone?

I have seen some very untrustworthy jewelers swap the stones before.

Good luck on your next outing. 

• Like 1

Sweet jewelry finds at the beach!  That gold ring is nice, but too bad about that big stone.

I definitely need to go detect some spots where people swim.  Turf hunting for jewelry is a pain.  I had a nice, pointed SS sand scoop arrive the other day.  I just need a handle...and then spots to use it.  Unfortunately I live quite a ways from the ocean.  

Hit that spot again.  There have to be more goodies.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Calmark said:

Sweet jewelry finds at the beach!  That gold ring is nice, but too bad about that big stone.

I definitely need to go detect some spots where people swim.  Turf hunting for jewelry is a pain.  I had a nice, pointed SS sand scoop arrive the other day.  I just need a handle...and then spots to use it.  Unfortunately I live quite a ways from the ocean.  

Hit that spot again.  There have to be more goodies.  

Cal the spot will be sanded in by the time I get back there...unless the wind picks up again. The high winds and the direction they were blowing are what I have to thank for a good hunt. Many times I've hunted there and not found one ring. Also there have been more depositors due to the time of year we are approaching. Swimming holes are a little different there are some good ones up near you for sure. Good luck!

strick 

• Like 1

Now thats what a good day looks like.

Take a loop to that big rock and see if there are any refractions or not. Should be easy enough to tell if it's a diamond not not. Big stone like that might even be etched if it's real.

Heart a ruby?

• Like 2