Getting Aquainted With The GPX 6000

My DD Leather and Canvas GPX cover arrived today, so I can now give my GPZ cover back to it 🙂 It wasn't really an ideal fit.

The GPX cover set is well made and good quality as always from DD.  A very nice fit too.  It even has a well positioned velcro strap where the stupid headphone socket cover is that spends most of its life flapping open in the wind as it just won't stay in place.  I noticed yesterday JW had taped his one shut as it was always flapping in the wind.

IMG_20220523_112433.thumb.jpg.d98c6bc421b46d30e468bc78d88dbf56.jpg

IMG_20220523_112813.thumb.jpg.c61923dbec9f2806e0d7eb68d7c65cc7.jpg

IMG_20220523_112844.thumb.jpg.8224d7ca8510d7b023bda344d67033a0.jpg

IMG_20220523_112902.thumb.jpg.fb226e6512af72d887b18a26f58db5d3.jpg

IMG_20220523_112908.thumb.jpg.06c8208982c2ae29fc6035b352d127a5.jpg

IMG_20220523_112927.thumb.jpg.4a18faee4aafcf5abbecf59667a2d2da.jpg

It was nice to see the Australian made tag on it, with almost everything made in Asia these days its refreshing to see stuff made elsewhere.

• Like 6

Nice writeup Simon, glad to see your GPX working for gold too!  Say- can you expand on what you meant by the signal dropping off on pellets? 

Also, I can’t really see how any adult guy would want to wear a “jumper”- there’s one on Amazon with a flamingo print 🤣  

Is that a wind breaker or slicker in American or common English?  Similar languages can have so many different vernacular meanings!

Pair your Avantree with A Giveet transmitter on your 24k, 4500 and other non-bluetooth enabled detectors- it has aptX LL/FS low latency and works really well:

Giveet Bluetooth 5.0 Transmitter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07198BBZN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_NYWHGM55SX2EJA12GNSH?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 3

Although I could rock a flamingo print as good as the next guy I figured American's would call a jumper something different 🙂

No one in NZ understands what we are talking about either but after years of saying it, it's hard to get rid of it.  This is a photo of someone in what I'm talking about.

776313117_billabongjumper.thumb.jpg.468147c1f787f006d4269b307e72fb1a.jpg

What I mean with the signal dropping off is when the small lead pellet is very close to the coil its a boomer of a target but it doesn't take much depth for that booming signal to drop to a faint one.  The GPZ while not screaming on the pellets maintains a stronger signal on them from a greater depth.  It's hard to describe, it gives you the false impression the GPX is very deep on small targets by how it screams on them when they're close to the coil but you quickly see that isn't the case once the target has moved in your dig out pile and you can't find it anymore without flattening it out.  This doesn't seem to happen so much with gold from what I've seen so far, but with shotgun pellets it does and that's in a way beneficial as you can take the gamble of rejecting a pellet because of it.  That's how I see it anyway and I've dug enough pellets now to see the pattern forming 🙂   All bets are off if its not a small lead pellet though, this is just with small round lead.

I've got a really good MPow aptX LL transmitter that I'll use for my Torus on all my detectors, I'm really happy with the Avantree Torus purchase, the only thing they could improve on it is some  level of water resistance.

• Like 4

I believe the Americans call them a 'sweater' or in Australia its often called a 'Hoodie' lol

Oh, that’s what you meant for a jumper! It’s a “hoodie” as my students call them, and I’m sure what the connected kids all over the world call them. I’ve always called them sweatshirts.  Adult jumpers are totally different- shorts and a zippered shirt all in one.

Interesting note about how lead pellet signals fall off faster with distance from the coil vs those of gold- an effect of being a better conductor? I will have to be more observant of that- I just always spread out the pile a bit more to refind a target and have not noticed it yet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

My DD Leather and Canvas GPX cover arrived toda

Ive got the same setup from Dean but incl the neoprene armrest cover... always quality, Ive been using his gear since the 2000 came out.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, klunker said:

I always enjoy you reports. If I tried writing a report like that it would be full of mespelings and, puntuation. errors/

It takes a few edits to get them right, I'm not one to proof read before hitting the submit post button 🙂  Your posts always bring a smile with them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Aureous said:

I believe the Americans call them a 'sweater' or in Australia its often called a 'Hoodie' lol

I'd call that a windcheater 🙂

• Like 2