XP Deus 2 Modern Trash First Impressions

1 hour ago, Jeff McClendon said:

I have been out a few times during some insane weather with the new Deus 2. Finally today we had some good weather conditions and good soil moisture levels in the local parks for perfect deep target conditions.

I was using the 9" coil in stock General mode. The only adjustments I made were to use Square Wave audio and to set 5 tone bins for iron, low conductor gold/aluminum, US nickels, mid conductor aluminum/zinc penny, and the last bin was for copper pennies, dimes, quarters and any silver coins or jewelry. I only dug targets with tones and IDs in the US nickel and copper penny/silver ranges. I walked over hundreds of other trash targets that were visible or heard along with what were probably zinc pennies/small shot bottle aluminum screw caps.

I had hunted this park originally with Deus 1 and later gridded part of it with the Equinox. The Equinox has tallied 8 silver dimes and 27 wheat pennies at this one park. It is the kind of place where most of the good targets are 6 to 8"+ deep and are covered with a dense surface to 6" matting of can slaw, pull tabs of all sorts, and thousands of steel crown bottle caps and aluminum screw caps.

I deliberately hunted mostly the area that had been gridded with the Equinox. Due to the numerous aluminum targets that crowd into the US nickel range on the Equinox (11,12,13) it has been really hard for me to hunt nickels and gold rings that respond with those numbers since I would have to dig hundreds of targets in a small area and might only move 10 feet during a 2 hour hunt. Denver Parks and Rec. would also have something to say about hundreds of dig holes in a 10'x10' area......not happening. 

Limiting that US nickel bin to 60 to 64 on Deus 2 cut way down on the aluminum targets that I dug today. I easily located 6 nickels (one was a 1934 Buffalo) and all were in the 6" to 8" range. They had no doubt nickel bin tones and IDs. I only dug 4 other targets in that range. 3 were detached, deep beaver tails from ring pulls and one was a thick, nickel sized piece of can slaw. Very impressive since Deus 1 for instance would up-average US nickels from 62 to the low 90s after 3" depth. It would do the same to pull tabs/can slaw........extremely annoying considering the price and reputation of the original Deus and one reason I am very glad to have a Deus 2.

Detecting targets in the copper/silver bin was super easy. I did experience a little up averaging of 6" to 8" copper pennies and clad dimes but I quickly learned what Deus 2 was telling me. Those deep high conductors in the 8 to 10 mineralization bar dirt that I was hunting in had mostly good numbers. The up-averaging happened more in the Deus 2 audio which had the correct high tones but also had some sporadic iron tones mixed in. Occasionally I would see a 00, 01 to 05 pop up along with the correct 90 to 95 depending on the target. I checked each hole that had some iron responses mixed in with high conductor responses and there were no man-made iron targets present. I managed quite a few copper Memorial pennies, one Wheat, several clad dimes and two really deep late 1960s quarters. Most of these targets were on edge or at least tilted. 

So, Deus 2 as opposed to Deus 1, is an outstanding modern trashy park detector for sure in even moderate to high mineralization. Very impressive.

Next time I will go after some of the deeper, more iffy signals. Today this park was full or city workers who were trying to deal with all of the broken limbs and damaged trees from our weekend late May snow/wind storm. I did not want to look like I was digging too deep or for too long in one spot.

Jeff

Excellent read!

Please describe your notch settings if you could. I am using 3 tones now and want to play with 5 tones.

Thank you Sir!

1 hour ago, Jeff McClendon said:

I have been out a few times during some insane weather with the new Deus 2. Finally today we had some good weather conditions and good soil moisture levels in the local parks for perfect deep target conditions.

I was using the 9" coil in stock General mode. The only adjustments I made were to use Square Wave audio and to set 5 tone bins for iron, low conductor gold/aluminum, US nickels, mid conductor aluminum/zinc penny, and the last bin was for copper pennies, dimes, quarters and any silver coins or jewelry. I only dug targets with tones and IDs in the US nickel and copper penny/silver ranges. I walked over hundreds of other trash targets that were visible or heard along with what were probably zinc pennies/small shot bottle aluminum screw caps.

I had hunted this park originally with Deus 1 and later gridded part of it with the Equinox. The Equinox has tallied 8 silver dimes and 27 wheat pennies at this one park. It is the kind of place where most of the good targets are 6 to 8"+ deep and are covered with a dense surface to 6" matting of can slaw, pull tabs of all sorts, and thousands of steel crown bottle caps and aluminum screw caps.

I deliberately hunted mostly the area that had been gridded with the Equinox. Due to the numerous aluminum targets that crowd into the US nickel range on the Equinox (11,12,13) it has been really hard for me to hunt nickels and gold rings that respond with those numbers since I would have to dig hundreds of targets in a small area and might only move 10 feet during a 2 hour hunt. Denver Parks and Rec. would also have something to say about hundreds of dig holes in a 10'x10' area......not happening. 

Limiting that US nickel bin to 60 to 64 on Deus 2 cut way down on the aluminum targets that I dug today. I easily located 6 nickels (one was a 1934 Buffalo) and all were in the 6" to 8" range. They had no doubt nickel bin tones and IDs. I only dug 4 other targets in that range. 3 were detached, deep beaver tails from ring pulls and one was a thick, nickel sized piece of can slaw. Very impressive since Deus 1 for instance would up-average US nickels from 62 to the low 90s after 3" depth. It would do the same to pull tabs/can slaw........extremely annoying considering the price and reputation of the original Deus and one reason I am very glad to have a Deus 2.

Detecting targets in the copper/silver bin was super easy. I did experience a little up averaging of 6" to 8" copper pennies and clad dimes but I quickly learned what Deus 2 was telling me. Those deep high conductors in the 8 to 10 mineralization bar dirt that I was hunting in had mostly good numbers. The up-averaging happened more in the Deus 2 audio which had the correct high tones but also had some sporadic iron tones mixed in. Occasionally I would see a 00, 01 to 05 pop up along with the correct 90 to 95 depending on the target. I checked each hole that had some iron responses mixed in with high conductor responses and there were no man-made iron targets present. I managed quite a few copper Memorial pennies, one Wheat, several clad dimes and two really deep late 1960s quarters. Most of these targets were on edge or at least tilted. 

So, Deus 2 as opposed to Deus 1, is an outstanding modern trashy park detector for sure in even moderate to high mineralization. Very impressive.

Next time I will go after some of the deeper, more iffy signals. Today this park was full or city workers who were trying to deal with all of the broken limbs and damaged trees from our weekend late May snow/wind storm. I did not want to look like I was digging too deep or for too long in one spot.

Jeff,

I have two friends who have been using their Deus II's at several inland parks and their results mirror yours.  These parks have been hit hard by every machine through the Equinox and were considered by most of us to be hunted out. The Deus II has changed the game.  My buddies have been astonished how many double digit nickel days they have had over the last couple of weeks.  What makes this even more interesting is that many of the nickels, including a number of Buffaloes, have been shallow targets i.e. 6" or less.  They have also been shocked at how much old clad they are digging.

Thank you for posting your results and I look forward to more from you.

By the way, they are both using the 11" coil.

Bill

• Like 2

One thing I've noticed with the D2 is every time I'm out I find quite a few on edge coins to the point where you're hearing beeps on each side of it.  I've been digging a lot of older deep plaid mixed in with a few Mercury dimes and Rosie's etc lots of nickels and they're coming in crystal clear almost like how could any other machine have missed this.  

• Like 3

On 5/23/2022 at 2:41 PM, mudwhale said:

Jeff

Excellent read!

Please describe your notch settings if you could. I am using 3 tones now and want to play with 5 tones.

Thank you Sir!

I don’t use notches unless the trash or hot rocks are just unbearable.

I do use tone bins to help learn the detector.

Tone bins were 0 to 10, 11 to 59, 60 to 64, 65 to 88, 88 to 99.

I set my tones to pitches I like and can remember…….but I am a classically trained musician so my tone choices are very subjective.

thanks for asking

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Bill (S. CA) said:

Jeff,

I have two friends who have been using their Deus II's at several inland parks and their results mirror yours.  These parks have been hit hard by every machine through the Equinox and were considered by most of us to be hunted out. The Deus II has changed the game.  My buddies have been astonished how many double digit nickel days they have had over the last couple of weeks.  What makes this even more interesting is that many of the nickels, including a number of Buffaloes, have been shallow targets i.e. 6" or less.  They have also been shocked at how much old clad they are digging.

Thank you for posting your results and I look forward to more from you.

By the way, they are both using the 11" coil.

Bill

I have not seen Deus 2 do something that the Equinox or Legend can’t do yet. I knew there were still targets in the area I hunted since I had only gridded it in one direction. I only got my coil over four shallow targets out of the 60 that I dug today. Those 4 were recent drops according to their 2021/2022 dates. The rest of the 56 coin and trash targets I dug today were in the 4 to 8” range and could have easily been masked/poorly oriented hunting in one direction. There are so many steel crown bottle caps and pull tabs on or near the surface that accidentally moving them an inch when people are using the park, when the grass gets cut or when we have bad weather can easily unmask a deeper coin.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, basstrackerman said:

One thing I've noticed with the D2 is every time I'm out I find quite a few on edge coins to the point where you're hearing beeps on each side of it.  I've been digging a lot of older deep plaid mixed in with a few Mercury dimes and Rosie's etc lots of nickels and they're coming in crystal clear almost like how could any other machine have missed this.  

That is what happened today for me too. I got mostly strong hits on 6 to 8” coins on edge. A few were like you described and were clad coins with slightly different quality hits on each side. On edge copper pennies did not respond like that.

I can also hear weird audio when locating coin spills or multiple coins stuck together. I can’t describe that sound yet but it is very distinctive.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

I was using the 9" coil in stock General mode. The only adjustments I made were to use Square Wave audio and to set 5 tone bins for iron, low conductor gold/aluminum, US nickels, mid conductor aluminum/zinc penny, and the last bin was for copper pennies, dimes, quarters and any silver coins or jewelry...

Great report Jeff , thanks ... If you hunt trashy areas you will probably like SENSITIVE which is even more reactive than GENERAL  ...  I am very impressed by the D2 too btw  😉...

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

I don’t use notches unless the trash or hot rocks are just unbearable.

I do use tone bins to help learn the detector.

Tone bins were 0 to 10, 11 to 59, 60 to 64, 65 to 88, 88 to 89.

I set my tones to pitches I like and can remember…….but I am a classically trained musician so my tone choices are very subjective.

thanks for asking

I used the word "Notches" by mistake and meant tone settings as you refer to them as Bins. Thank you for sharing and I will test this this weekend.

• Like 1