Question For Gerry On Discriminating VLF

On 12/22/2021 at 2:39 PM, Gerry in Idaho said:

Now for the most intriguing bit of information about the 4, all found with VLF detectors.

Gerry. Do you have a favorite discriminating VLF? Maybe one that goes the deepest for instance? Or one that discriminates the most accurately? I am seeking something that can search an extremely trashy area that my 7000 will not work in...unless I want to commit 10 years to the spot and dig every can shard 😄 

• Like 1

I'll second what Steve said. I've found nuggets with both the Equinox and Deus 2 and IMO the Equinox is a better gold nugget detector. The Equinox is more sensitive to small gold and has a better coil selection.

• Like 7

Thanks all for the info. 👍 Much appreciated.

@Gerry in Idaho, Will you at some point evaluate the NM Legend for this type of application? It would be good to know your thoughts on it.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2022 at 7:17 AM, JCR said:

@Gerry in Idaho, Will you at some point evaluate the NM Legend for this type of application? It would be good to know your thoughts on it.

My time is very limited with the manufactures I already work with.  They are not claiming it to be a Gold Detector and their background has not been focused on Nugget Prospecting.  It certainly doesn't mean it's no good as I have not tested it...but I have a gut feeling it won't do what the Equinox 800 can.  I would really like to see some folks use it and see what their results are.  Again with me, it's the lack of time trying to test a machine that is not known.  Please don't think it's not capable, I never said that.  I would much rather test something that's geared towards the prospecting and is more recognized from previous history of success.  Thanks for understanding.

• Like 1

Very understandable.

I enjoy your informative posts.

If you are not experience in VLF, experiment with a VLF in your intended area before you buy anything.  You may be disappointed.  If all the iron junk is small, VLF has potential, but larger iron junk (particularly rusted iron) can produce VINs in the gold range.  This can produce trashy areas that are very frustrating to detect.