Almost Lost Hope For My Permission, Then Bam! Awesome Day.

If there are very few old non-ferrous targets, it was likely detected before. A virgin home site or farm would have loads non-ferrous to dig. Most of it scrap metal trash but also interesting things like buttons, buckles, and coins. If you are digging old non-ferrous trash, it's a good sign there are good targets mixed in.

It may have been cherry picked, taking only the higher coin signals but that still leaves lots of stuff to dig. You should be digging everything above foil or avoid digging anything below nickel.

Also remember that everything you dig could be masking something better below it.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Badger-NH said:

If there are very few old non-ferrous targets, it was likely detected before. A virgin home site or farm would have loads non-ferrous to dig. Most of it scrap metal trash but also interesting things like buttons, buckles, and coins. If you are digging old non-ferrous trash, it's a good sign there are good targets mixed in.

It may have been cherry picked, taking only the higher coin signals but that still leaves lots of stuff to dig. You should be digging everything above foil or avoid digging anything below nickel.

Also remember that everything you dig could be masking something better below it.

Good advise for sure. 

I am not giving up, but I will be considering the possibility when I dig. I am finding modern foil and can slaw, and to be fair, I only went over a small area with the 6inch coil before I left with 3 of the coolest items I have found. So I am hopeful I am tuned in. I will work on the front of the house next for a bit I think. 

But yeah, there is Iron everywhere here, so I am sure it is masking targets. 

I am hopeful that the Colonial Buckle part is a positive sign that the good stuff is in there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dirtshark said:

I am hopeful that the Colonial Buckle part is a positive sign that the good stuff is in there. 

There's good stuff there for sure.

I live in a part of Virginia that was incorporated in the 1640s. The "development" where I live (we bought the "spec" house) has seen multiple farms and activity dating back to then. Here the ground is a mixture of sand almost like that found on a beach, loam created by vegetation, and clay, both red and gray.

Thankfully the housing market crashed and a farmer bought the ~100 odd acres in front of my house.

I have found from almost two years of searching here and other farms in a 25 mile radius that nothing but large iron has sunk to more than 8" here despite the sandy ground. I doubt even the earliest plows dug much deeper than that. Someone might disprove this with a pulse induction detector but would be hard pressed. I'm sure you'll find what is there with your Legend.

I wouldn't worry as much about "deep" targets as clearing the more modern trash that is in the top 2-4", and going back over that area again from a 45 or 90 degree angle.

I was lucky enough to get a permission recently that had never been hunted. It is another 100 acres or so, very large.

In 3 hunts I got this much, excluding the copper bracelet:

20220524_205615.jpg

That's not much from such a large place, but sometimes people are just not losing or tossing stuff all over. 😀 It's also possible that the early occupants didn't have much money.

Conversely I could show you about 5 such cases of finds from a smaller field in front of my house, but nearly no coins, just a few cut pieces of Spanish silver and half Reales.

Another example is a 2-acre field where I found the following in about a 30-foot square:20220321_195224.thumb.jpg.53bf0d3dc226283d4f4bdcff3d3fadb7.jpg20220321_194344.thumb.jpg.396193c62b6fcbbd602c91795512e49c.jpg

And next to nothing else.

You'll have to find the "sweet spot" in any area by random scouting, I could make a really long post. 😀 I hope you'll find one there.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dirtshark said:

Good advise for sure. 

I am not giving up, but I will be considering the possibility when I dig. I am finding modern foil and can slaw, and to be fair, I only went over a small area with the 6inch coil before I left with 3 of the coolest items I have found. So I am hopeful I am tuned in. I will work on the front of the house next for a bit I think. 

But yeah, there is Iron everywhere here, so I am sure it is masking targets. 

Not all low tones are necessarily iron. There could also be mineralization or mineralized rocks in the ground. If the low tones don't have a clear signal in pinpoint it's probably minerals. There are lots of mineralized rocks at my NH sites. In general though, houses always do have a lot of iron within 20 or 30 feet of the foundation which usually diminishes as you get away from the house.

The shoe buckle part is definitely a good sign. That would get my motivation going. The key to finding stuff is knowing and believing it's there. Don't let negative thoughts enter your mind. Be present and stay focused.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

There's good stuff there for sure.

I live in a part of Virginia that was incorporated in the 1640s. The "development" where I live (we bought the "spec" house) has seen multiple farms and activity dating back to then. Here the ground is a mixture of sand almost like that found on a beach, loam created by vegetation, and clay, both red and gray.

Thankfully the housing market crashed and a farmer bought the ~100 odd acres in front of my house.

I have found from almost two years of searching here and other farms in a 25 mile radius that nothing but large iron has sunk to more than 8" here despite the sandy ground. I doubt even the earliest plows dug much deeper than that. Someone might disprove this with a pulse induction detector but would be hard pressed. I'm sure you'll find what is there with your Legend.

I wouldn't worry as much about "deep" targets as clearing the more modern trash that is in the top 2-4", and going back over that area again from a 45 or 90 degree angle.

I was lucky enough to get a permission recently that had never been hunted. It is another 100 acres or so, very large.

In 3 hunts I got this much, excluding the copper bracelet:

20220524_205615.jpg

That's not much from such a large place, but sometimes people are just not losing or tossing stuff all over. 😀 It's also possible that the early occupants didn't have much money.

Conversely I could show you about 5 such cases of finds from a smaller field in front of my house, but nearly no coins, just a few cut pieces of Spanish silver and half Reales.

Another example is a 2-acre field where I found the following in about a 30-foot square:20220321_195224.thumb.jpg.53bf0d3dc226283d4f4bdcff3d3fadb7.jpg20220321_194344.thumb.jpg.396193c62b6fcbbd602c91795512e49c.jpg

And next to nothing else.

You'll have to find the "sweet spot" in any area by random scouting, I could make a really long post. 😀 I hope you'll find one there.

Is that a mini cannon? Holy carp those finds are awesome. 

Funny you mentioned tilting over targets. I have been doing that and I believe the Buckle was a product of just such a thing. 

Those signals that are 40 or so, iffy, no ferro or non ferro indicator. I tilt and see if I can get a squeak. 

Thanks for sharing your finds, very cool. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Dirtshark said:

Those signals that are 40 or so, iffy, no ferro or non ferro indicator. I tilt and see if I can get a squeak. 

Not sure I'm getting you here, I don't tilt the coil, I come at it from a different angle keeping the coil flat. 🙂 You should always do that with something that isn't solid anyway, I've had a good signal go ferrous on a 45-90 degree angle to how I swing over it initially, and if it does it's usually ferrous. Most times I'll dig it anyway just to get rid of it, but get bitten by big iron that I don't want to lug around. Convention dictates however that if I see it I gotta take it with me 🤬

I bought a pinpointer that keeps me from digging a lot of big iron, it can discriminate between ferrous and non. If I'm pressed for time I press that button! 😀 Don't like to leave it behind but hey.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dirtshark said:

Is that a mini cannon?

Yes it is. 🙂 You put a firecracker in it, the wick comes out the fuse hole. 1850s. I could look for the carriage it was broken off of, but see my post above about big iron. 😀

1 hour ago, F350Platinum said:

Yes it is. 🙂 You put a firecracker in it, the wick comes out the fuse hole. 1850s. I could look for the carriage it was broken off of, but see my post above about big iron. 😀

Thats really a cool find. Used to shoot model cannons back in the day on the 4th. Boom!

I did see your post. Good advice. At this point at this site I am digging anything solid. There could be good big iron there and the homeowner would love any old iron. 

At this point I am finding that you have to interpret signals based on a lot of factors. That buckle part was all over the place. 

• Like 1

Dirtshark, gotta apologize for thinking you were the same person that found an intact 1700's shoe buckle as well. 😂 I corrected my post above.

The Badger is giving you some great advice, he helped me quite a bit when I joined. If anyone knows what's going on up there he would.

Hope to see more stuff from ya! 👍

6 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Dirtshark, gotta apologize for thinking you were the same person that found an intact 1700's shoe buckle as well. 😂 I corrected my post above.

The Badger is giving you some great advice, he helped me quite a bit when I joined. If anyone knows what's going on up there he would.

Hope to see more stuff from ya! 👍

The one thing I have learned about this hobby is that you can't get too much advise. 

Most people think you just grab a detector and go but there is so much more to finding the good stuff. 

It really isn't easy and people have no idea how much garbage you find for every cool item that comes up. 

Yes, thank you Badger and all the kind folks here. 

Half the sport is the people you meet along the way. 

• Like 2