Just Canceled Prospecting Trip To Az

MSC, I agree with Steve. Find a way and go. We are not guaranteed things will be ant better in the near or far future. Time will pass and eventually all of us will too. 

Diesel here in NorCal is $7.00 per gallon, TODAY. I’m planning on detecting, prospecting and deer hunting this summer and fall as much as I can, using my older Yamaha quad a great deal in the National Forest here in the northwest. I’ll be using my camp trailer for staying close to where I’ll be venturing.

Mike

• Like 5

The problem when prices go up on anything, they seem to never go back down to where they were so perhaps this is the new normal, it'll force a lot of people onto more efficient vehicles which is something that can only be a good thing I guess.

The 7000 or 6000 can pack into a backpack easy enough, my prospecting areas are no more than a 2 hour drive each way, some about an hour, I could buy a cheap motorbike that would use next to no fuel and zip around on that if fuel hits insane prices over the next year or two.   I guess when one of the worlds big fuel suppliers stops supplying fuel this is what happens.   If I didn't like skiing and prospecting so much I could live life without a car easy enough.  I  have a contingency plan of moving to another house that is right at the skiing and prospecting areas if I need to but I like living rural where I am now.

There are some forecasts of it going over $300 a barrel.  Brent crude is now at $112 a barrel so if it gets to $300 well, what we are paying now would feel very cheap.

• Like 3

Glad I kept my 1987 Honda civic... 🙂 unless you can really afford those big trucks and pay for the fuel I would imagine many will be put up for sale this summer and a discount.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

I have a 3 Day Field Training Class coming up in a couple weeks and have already had 2 people cancel because of fuel prices.  When you had summer planned, the kids graduation, a family member wedding, Memorial Weekend and Gerry's Detectors Training...those miles add up and with the extra cost of fuel/food then the trips need to be most justified and there is sacrifices. 

Diesel here in Boise is $5.60 a gallon.  What pisses me off most is the stations have an auto shut off (some set at $100, a couple at $150) and my truck can't get a full tank on 1 transaction.

Try to think ahead and put a good spin on it.  After this Memorial Weekend, many of the folks will be hanging out at the local swimming areas and the local parks for their holiday entertainment.  Those grassy areas/swimming holes will need to be detected.

I always fill up at half a tank that way i don't get as much of a shock. Jim

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

I cannot understand why diesel is now more expensive than gasoline as it requires less refining.

Diesel fuel went up as soon as more people began switching to diesel years ago and has steadily kept pace with gas prices…it's kind of like everything else isn't it...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, phrunt said:

The problem when prices go up on anything, they seem to never go back down to where they were so perhaps this is the new normal, it'll force a lot of people onto more efficient vehicles which is something that can only be a good thing I guess.

I think high gas is going to be the new normal too. I live in oil central, and there is zero new activity here. I've never seen anything like it here - prices sky high and none of the companies are even trying to mobilize. All the service companies are twiddling their fingers waiting to get to work and....just nothing. It's like bust times, except oil is at record highs.

I'm hearing a few things that probably all change the oil landscape long term or forever and leave prices permanently high: When oil went negative after Covid, the companies took a major hit and probably wrote hedges (gold miners do this too) at some low rate like $40/barrel. And now they are stuck with them, so they are keeping prices high for as long as possible to run those hedges out and write new ones at a higher price. There is no point to spend money drilling if you are forced to sell the oil at low prices. Problem is compounded because electric vehicle market share is simultaneously increasing drastically and likely to cut into gasoline demand by the time some of these hedges expire, at which point they will want to naturally ramp up gasoline prices anyways to make up for lost demand, so they might as well keep them high from here on out. 

So, rather than picking up rigs and increasing production which would lower oil prices again, they are putting the profits back into the company, shareholders, kings, and princes that took a major hit during negative oil prices when Covid hit, since that increased production may likely go to waste when EV's take over. 

Also, OPEC lost every shred of control of the oil markets for the first time ever, when oil went into the negative $'s. They are a cartel, cartels with no control are meaningless. High prices on the other hand put the ball entirely in their court since they have control over the market again by flooding or restricting oil exports. And likely they will keep prices high and supply on the low side to avoid another Covid negative $oil price crisis again where there was simply too much oil and too little demand all at once.

I have 20kW of solar panels I'm trying to permit on my building to make my own "gas" if I can find a cheap runaround electric car. Utility doesn't like allowing used panels to grid tie unfortunately. Still need a big truck to tow heavy equipment though, and long range offroading is still an issue with electric.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jasong said:

Still need a big truck to tow heavy equipment though, and long range offroading is still an issue with electric.

It will always be an issue with electric.

I won’t continue that subject though, this certainly isn’t the forum for it.

How much gold do you have to find to offset the higher gas costs? $100, $200?... probably not very much. 

I agree with everyone else. Go on the the trip. You've been planning it for months.

As for gas prices. it's $1.999 CAD per litre here, for regular 87 octane. Which is about $5.90 USD/Gallon.

• Like 2

On 5/24/2022 at 6:47 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

Go, or you’ll regret it. At most you are talking a few hundred dollars, if you are pulling a huge trailer.

Steve's right, there are no armored cars at a funeral, don't cancel your dreams due to stupid decisions in D.C., just modify how you make the dreams become reality.

PS: Your sig says you're in Utah, heck, you're almost here already.

Jen

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don't look at the total cost, just look at the increase this won't seem so high.

You will have years ahead when you may be too old for detecting ,go while you are able.

Cheers

• Thanks 1