Just Canceled Prospecting Trip To Az

Added a spare tank to my truck and doubled its fuel capacity- now it costs $200 to fill up both in California, but it’s always nice to save the second tank for a less expensive fillup when I cross the border.

I have been taking my Nissan Versa detecting lately 🤣.  35 mpg vs 12 mpg, handles the backroads fine, just go slow 😂😂

It can be a poormans RZR 😂

Hell oneof my old geology professors used to do all his field work in a VW beatle, mine just has AC 🤣.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 5/24/2022 at 10:45 AM, F350Platinum said:

Cost me $650 in fuel to make a 1200 mile round trip last month, I cannot understand why diesel is now more expensive than gasoline as it requires less refining. I was pulling a 40 foot toy hauler. Got about 10mpg.

I would go and not regret it. 👍

They can make more gallons of gasoline per barrel of oil than they can make gallons of diesel from the same barrel.  Gasoline is a lighter distillate.

Diesel #2  has more energy per gallon(129,500 BTU/gal)  than gasoline does (114,900 / gal.) or about 11.3% more energy stored in a gallon of diesel.   That is one of the reasons that fuel economy is better with a diesel engine.

Fuel costs in Arizona are usually way cheaper than surrounding states. Plus you could drive to AZ in a high mpg rental then rent a trailer they will place at your location for you.  But forget going to last minute motels. They are getting crazy expensive last minute. 

There is beginning to be some talk of gas rationing to get prices down. I doubt it would happen but I could see restricted hours for gas stations unless the Fed drives the economy down. I think we are getting close to that so perhaps next year will be better for prices. Figure the cost difference between last year & this year and trim spending somewhere to cover it if possible. Just my 2 cents worth. Hoefully you'll make the trip and enjoy the adventure. That's what life is for.

One idea- how about alternative transportation?  I just got an electric offroad bicycle to use for accessing harder to drive trails and remote places- they are quiet and covert with a 40 mile range. Planning on using my trailer’s solar battery bank and pure sine inverter to recharge it whenever we are boondocking off grid as we don’t use a generator. Here’s where I got mine in the US:

https://www.radpowerbikes.com/

• Like 2

The E Bikes sound good in theory but unless you are sticking to 2-tracks, or nice dirt without a lot of things to pop tires, they can be more work than just hiking if you are using them primarily off road. I popped my tires on rocks, cactus, goatheads, twigs, and who knows what else so often I gave up on using it, even with green slime in the tires. The goatheads were the worst ones, and I couldn't find thicker ply tires, but it's been some years and tires might be better now. Plus, when I'd connect my detector, pick, and backpack on the rack it'd make it so rear-heavy that I'd pop wheelies accelerating or going up inclines, which doesn't sound bad on pavement, but in precarious, rocky, cliffy situations it's not ideal. 750w is my motor size and it was way too underpowered to do offroad/steeps that would be easy with a motorcycle. 

In the right conditions they are useful though.

I'd love to find an affordable electric ATV built for utility and not sand dunes. I put 10 ply tires on my ATV so even if they go completely flat I can still drive it out, and it's never left me stranded like my E Bike did.

• Like 1