Little Water Hunting With The AT

I think that is a brilliant (and marketable) invention. Gold and silver are heavier than sand and should stay in the insert.

Using screen mesh presents a lot of problems, including retaining enough sand to make the modification moot. This insert is easily removable if installed with small zip ties, and presents none of the issues of using unlike or nearly unlike metals in a salt environment, preventing galvanic corrosion. 👍 the holes can be made larger than screen.

I'm up for one if you find they're popular enough to make in quantity.  😀

• Like 4

Nice hunt with AT. Double sided tape won't work. I tried. You can use plastic zip ties. On mine use stainless steel wire woven and stainless steel wire to attach it.

That's a great job on you 3d print. You have something you could market.

• Like 2

Making the tool needed for the job yourself is the sign of a dedicated craftsman!

• Like 4

Great thinking "outside" the scoop, for inside the scoop!!!👍👍

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It does work and the sand will sift fine. I've used one with stainless steel with 1/8" holes for 2 years. I have one now with 1/16" holes to try and see how it works.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JCR said:

Making the tool needed for the job yourself is the sign of a dedicated craftsman!

More like the frustration of trying to keep a tiny target on the end of a scoop when your chest deep in the water motivated me to come up with some sort of solution.

• Like 6

Nice job and it looks like it will do the trick.

What type of printer are you using?

What size of scoop will that fit?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

Nice job and it looks like it will do the trick.

What type of printer are you using?

What size of scoop will that fit?

Fits my RTG scoop that has a 4 3/4" id.

Picked up a single extruder large format Anycubic Chiron that can handle 16x16x17 approx. Was sceptical on the printer at first but it is actually incredibly reliable. Bang for the buck its a great printer. Used an SLA printer for more than a decade so going over to FDM was fairly easy as it is more like a cnc machine.

1 hour ago, rvpopeye said:

Nice little piece of engineering. 👍

I'll chance a prediction.... 🤔

That set of diamond earrings it catches will buy you a new Equinox 1000....🤩

Man made diamond 😞 might pay for the gas as I am walking distance to the pond haha.

Cleaned off the scale on the inside of scoop with a wire brush and used some 3m heavy duty mounting tape. Gorilla tape would probably work fine too. Seems to hole well. I chickend out on the rivet as it would leave a point inside that would get in the way and the plastic may break through. My scoop is pretty bent up from years of abuse so zip ties didn't work.

67518061882__775CB2D0-40FE-433C-B5F7-11175FDBD22B.JPG

• Like 3