Just one thing I've noticed in getting down to some detailed testing of this machine.  It was pointed out to me that each mode runs different kHz ranges.  I've noticed that each tunes  differently so the idea of flicking one to the other is not a good one in that each needs different Sensitivity, Volume and Threshold to perform at it's best.  

cjc

12 hours ago, tvr said:

Interesting. Do you mean that the different modes use different filtering circuits in the signal processing?

I do know that they run at different pulse rates. All metal and tone run different pulse rates from one another and from mute and volcanic. Contrary to the manual mute and volcanic share the same pulse rate. I have no knowledge of any kHz other than the resonant frequency of the coil which remains the same in all modes. Good luck everybody.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don’t see all that big of difference. To me it’s either it works or it doesn’t.  Sometimes it does, then gets screwy, and I have to tweak just about anything to get normal operation back. Curious to see what advice you come up with as I haven’t sat down with it to discover its secrets. I could take a look with a spectrum analyzer or scope to review settings but I don’t think it will help me with using it.

I have been trying it out at the variety of beaches I have.  I discovered one beach that had targets on the rock bed that other detectors likely would not sense as deep. But due to wave action there was no way to get targets out of the rocks.  I screwed myself up trying to pull out big scoops of sand. The AQ might still be a good detector for this beach as it is more immune to its particularly bad EMI, but the discrimination features and ring behaviors of others can’t be ignored. 

I would expect to see issues with the short delay settings but I don’t. I’m not going into the water much with it though as the majority of people only go in ankle deep. I am concerned with the physical sensitivity of rotary switches, knobs, and even the housing when in some settings. Like something is loose. 

I haven’t seen the downside in setting the sensitivity to 10. Sometimes sweep end falling gets annoying and I varying settings to reduce it. I haven’t come up with a standard practice for this though - maybe you will?

If you connect to your scope, set the delay at anything but 7uS, say 11, then turn of the machine and back on again without moving the delay, you will gain some knowledge most don’t have. Use any mode you prefer. If your working ankle deep, then you should swing your coil parallel to the water or north to south.  East to west will continually try and balance the depth and salt difference resulting in noise. A good starting point in all metal I think would be volume 8>10 sensitivity 4>5 threshold 4>5 (your preference) ATS 6>8 reject plays no part in all metal. Tone mode volume 8>10 sensitivity 4>5 threshold 4>5 ( again your preference ) ATS 8>81/4 reject 3. Keep your wet fingers off the coil connector as much as possible. The metal locknut develops capacitance due to no shielding in the Souriau connector. I prefer tone mode mid summer looking for fresh drops. No coins for me. Any iron grunts deep in the wash by the rim I dig as that is where those big fat pig rings lay. Otherwise I keep moving looking for gold. Good luck to you.

• Like 2

I normally was hunting All Metal with your settings.  Just tried Tone Mode in my high EMI backyard.  It really cuts out pennies, dimes, and quarters if I back off on Sensitivity - but thankfully leaves good sensitivity to rings (and nickels).  I guess this is what all the hoopla was about.  Too bad it still gets the tent stakes.

10 hours ago, Carolina said:

I do know that they run at different pulse rates. All metal and tone run different pulse rates from one another and from mute and volcanic. Contrary to the manual mute and volcanic share the same pulse rate. I have no knowledge of any kHz other than the resonant frequency of the coil which remains the same in all modes. Good luck everybody.

Thank you . That makes a lot more sense now.

6 hours ago, bklein said:

I normally was hunting All Metal with your settings.  Just tried Tone Mode in my high EMI backyard.  It really cuts out pennies, dimes, and quarters if I back off on Sensitivity - but thankfully leaves good sensitivity to rings (and nickels).  I guess this is what all the hoopla was about.  Too bad it still gets the tent stakes.

If you circle the target and get that double blip, keep on walking. Solid hit 360 degrees dig it up. That will cut out most of the tent stakes. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Carolina said:

If you circle the target and get that double blip, keep on walking. Solid hit 360 degrees dig it up. That will cut out most of the tent stakes. 

And those dreaded bobby pins.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Carolina said:

Mine only double beeps on tent stakes at ATS set at 9.5 or higher.  It will double beep on a nail at any ATS setting.  I can mute the tent stakes though.  Yours the same?