Keddie Murders. Metal Detector Connection In Reopened Case.

My friend  (whom doesn't want to be identified ) found the hammer last year metal detecting.  He left it because it was no value to him.He heard recently they reopened the murder case. So he gave a call to the investigator.  Met with them on site and found it again for them.

http://www.plumasnews.com/story/2016/03/30/news/more-evidence-uncovered-in-keddie-murders-case/988.html

• Like 1

I seen along time ago of a body was found over in humbolt co. Ca. A guy was metal detecting and found a piece of clothing with metal buttons of a murdered boy. I believe some witness and evidenced at scene linked them also to the bastard that killed him. I would have not wanted to be the detectorist that found him.

• Like 1

That reminds me Cal... I heard a story on our local radio station, of a body found behind the Walmart in Sonora by "a man metal detecting for old coins"...not what I want to find.

8 hours ago, deathray said:

.not what I want to find.

Definitely not what we want to find but thank God for the person who found him/them.  When someone goes missing there is generally someone, sometimes many folks out there praying they will be found.  There was surely a prayer answered for someone when their remains were found.  

Not what you would want to find but if it helps bring closure to loved ones or puts the person or persons behind bars then it's a good thing.

4 hours ago, beatup said:

Not what you would want to find but if it helps bring closure to loved ones or puts the person or persons behind bars then it's a good thing.

Exactly what I meant.  No one wants to know their loved one has died/likely murdered, but there is some relief to knowing what happened to them and maybe a chance to bring them home so to speak. 

• 4 years later...

Actually, the person who found the hammer came to me via the Keddie Murders site and forum I run. The hammer was found the previous summer, when the pond was dry. The Detectorist had proper approval from the caretaker. Later, it was said a search for a lost wedding ring was the impetus, but that was never part of my discourse. The fact the pond was relatively dry was the sole impetus, and a rusty (albeit expensive) hammer was hardly part of the plot.

Knowing the killer, Marty Smartt, made a point to ask about the murder hammer (at the time, specific weapons used/found had not been publcily mentioned) during his lie-filled interview with corrupt DOJ mob drug-pushers, I knew the find of a hammer could be monumental.

The detectorist directly told me he came to me because I appeared to know the case, am trustworthy, and was not related to the cops. This person wanted NOTHING TO DO with cops related to the murders. Don't know if it's cops in general or just the case, but I respect the wishes/rules of the person.

I contacted Mike Gamberg about the info. He headed the Keddie case at the time and, between us, we solved it in considerably few months. But the hammer? I described it directly from comments by the detectorist who found it: Rubber handle, green or blue. Bingo.

It took me some time to convince the Detectorist who discovered this crucial evidence to trust Mike. They talked, met up at the pond, took a canoe out to where the hammer then was (when he pulled it up in 2015, he tossed it a short distance aside- probably downwind from his path).

This person has regretted involvement, despite clear knowledge it helped spark the fire which disclosed a blatantly moronic coverup by the killers and the cops of 1981.

I applaud this person for coming forward. Despite never being named, it caused uncertain discomfort.

Try that on for size when you're directly accusing the CA-DOJ of involvement in a drug coverup.

Smartt: Ah [5 second pause] I don't know, I'd like to see the hammer. [pause] I‘ve been in Sue's house. The only hammer I ever noticed comin' out of there was a wooden-handIed one. [3 second pause] Uhh... My hammer is missing.

Bradley: Oh, is it?

Smartt: It always layed outside the door.

Bradley: Mm-hmm?

Smartt: I've have, well I searched and I haven't found it.

Bradley: What type of hammer did you have?

Smartt: A blue handled hammer.

Bradley: Blue handle?

Smartt: Silver.

Bradley: A metal handle?

Smartt: Metal handle, yeah. [4 second pause] Ans i ain't noticed it layin' about. [27:14]

Bradley: huh