Gold Detecting Tips

Here's a couple pics of pants that have the knee pad slit.  What's so nice is that they don't cut into the back of your knees and they don't slide down and get dirt behind them when on the knees and digging.

Pant1.JPG

Pants2.JPG

• Like 7

Gerry and Steve:  Thanks for a great list of information.  Because of other commitments I have had a slow start with using my 24k and am still near the bottom of the learning curve.  So I have a couple of questions about coils: 1) is it possible to offer some additional insight  behind the comment about using the proper coil size for the terrain; and 2) you recommended the  use of smaller coils on the VLF.  For the 24k which small coil is better, the round or the elliptical coil?

Gerry (and also Steve): One other question:  when considering various terrains, would you change anything on your list for desert vs. open forest such as the Sierra Nevada vs. dense forests such as the Cascades of Oregon and Washington?

Thanks for your help.

A trap that is easy to fall into, do not assume that gold always follows the rules we humans have over time have learnt in our search for it. Remember those rules of search have been applied for many hundreds/thousands of years, in gold detector days only 50 or so years, gold detecting prospecting is in its infancy. Go outside that square in your search sometimes, do some fringe swinging, it can be rewarding.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Norvic said:

Go outside that square in your search sometimes, do some fringe swinging, it can be rewarding.

And don't forget the most important thing: start your prospecting day with a good espresso 😍

GC

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Aye but most important, hav a good expresso first. Humbly apologize for this omission GC. Had a senior moment....😉

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/26/2022 at 8:28 AM, Gerry in Idaho said:

With the 1st big weekend of the year coming, many new eager Nugget Hunters are wanting to get out in the field.   Some of you don’t have a seasoned Nugget Hunting friend to help you learn the ropes.  Since my Field Staff and I offer detector training, we see the many mistakes some folks make.  I’ll try to give some Field Knowledge and info to possibly help make your adventures more golden.  Anyone who has good advice, please chime in.

These are some of the items I recommend.  I’ll mention detector technology type afterwards as my staff/I use different tools for the varying machines.

Knee Pads - If running VLF detector, Knee pads and preferably ones with no metal.  I’m at the point now that I personally don’t use them because I have pants that were designed to hold knee pads.  I have Duluth brand but now there are many and including Military BDU pants with knee pad sleeves built into the knees.

Footwear - Non Metal Boots or Hiking Shoes.  This is especially needed if you swing a bigger powerful type detector (GPZ-7000, GPX-5000 or below).  The new GPX-6000 is not as bad and some regular boots/shoes are OK, but you’ll learn how to walk without getting the feet to close.  As for my preference of footwear, I have Danner Slip on non metal boots and Merrell Hikers.

Magnet - Strong Rare Earth Super Magnet.  This little tool is so important in fast recovery and or identification of targets.  Many folks have no clue why we want a good strong magnet.  I myself keep the magnet on my metal pick at all times.

Non Metal Recovery Tool - Non metal Nugget Cup or Trowel/Scoop.  If you swing VLF and trying to get the tiny dinks, I prefer the nugget cup.  If looking for bigger gold or using bigger machines, the scoop/trowel is fine.  Caution – You can’t use your bare hand on a VLF as the detector will respond to the minerals in your hand.

Jewelry/Metal - Remove your rings and leave them home.  If you wear a watch, get one with a non metal band or don’t wear one on the arm you use to swing the scoop across the coil.

Pick - I like APEX brand as I get the rare earth super magnet on it and they come in different sizes/models.  I’m a bit over 6’ tall so I prefer a little longer of a pick.  24”/30” are ideal for taller folks and especially if you run a deeper big machine.  18” handle is ideal for most folks swinging a VLF type detector and or if you prefer to carry the pick on your hip.  Realize 24” handle length is hard to have on your hip as it gets caught up in your legs when walking.  I wear the 24/30” picks on my back.

Harness - I like the Doc’s Ultra Swingy Thingy and use it with all my Prospecting detectors.  Not only does it allow me to carry my pick on back, but it has a bungee to help with the weight of your detector.  As a bonus, it holds up my pants so I don’t get burnt on the plumber crack.  Seems older guys pants don’t hold up as well as when we were younger.

Trash Pouch - You’ll dig more trash than treasure so do your part and pack it out.  No use in finding all those bullets and foil over/over and over each trip.

Nugget Holder - Yes you should keep one on you at all times.  I prefer plastic pill bottle, film container or scrotum pouch.  Not a fan of glass vial as they can easily break.  Also the glass will dull the gold.

Swing Arm - There are a variety out there and the one off my GPZ-7000 goes with me at all times for many different detectors.  The swing arm allows much better coil control and longer detecting hours with less fatigue.  The SDC-2300 is a prime example of a detector that should have a swing arm.  Same with GPZ-7000.  Heck, even my Equinox with a larger coil is much easier and better to use when using a swing arm.

Test Target - I like to use the size of test target for the expected size of gold I plan on finding at a particular site.  Get a small #8 lead bird shot and tap it with a hammer to give a little flatness.  Glue it to a plastic poker chip.  If you are hunting in areas with bigger gold, then have said like size test pieces to bury and listen/tune the detector.

Coils- If running VLF detectors I recommend you get the smallest coil possible for that detector for most areas.  The smaller coil actually goes deeper and gives a cleaner signal response to small gold than the stock coil.  There’s more smaller nuggets out there than bigger gold so keep the odds in your favor.  If hunting for larger gold with VLF, the stock coil or even a larger coil is preferred.  Don’t think you’ll get the depth of a PI with a bigger coil on your VLF in most gold type soils.  PI’s rule the depth on larger gold.  In tailing piles I actually prefer a VLF with good discrimination while running stock coil or even bigger coil.  Todays newer PI and DVT detectors don’t have Iron ID, but hopefully things will soon change (come on Minelab – you can do it).  If using PI or DVT, use the coil size for the terrain you are in.  Yes there’s always exceptions.

Spare Battery - Always have a Back Up Battery, always.

Headphones - I highly recommend them for most areas I detect.  Wind is a killer on deeper weaker and or smaller nugget sounds.  Good headphones allows you to hear the detector much better.

Location - For a beginner, don’t expect to find gold in unknown areas.  Go where nuggets have been found with a detector.  Never leave gold to find gold.  As your nugget hunting skill progresses, then you can Prospect for new areas and ground.

Spare Tire - Always keep one that holds air.  Know where the jack is and how to use it.  A few newer type trucks have a key that drops the spare.  Know where the key is, know how to use the jack/change a spare.

Phone - If swinging a bigger machine, your cell phone will give EMI to your detector.  Try to keep it in the OFF position if possible.

1st Nugget - Take as many pictures as possible and soak in the moment.  There is only 1 first and you want to remember forever.

DP - Share your hunt experience with the rest of us here on Detector Prospector.  As mentioned in a previous post, some of us Old Guard are fading away and we need some new young guns to keep the powder burning.

Again, These tips/knowledge is just from my standpoint and always have exceptions.  If something mentioned in this post gives you a better chance to find some gold and share a smile, then we are all winners.  I look forward to reading from others who have tips for the newbies so chime in.

20210424_131954 (2).jpg

In addition, I bought a pair of snake gaiters.