XP Deus 2 Vs Equinox, Summarized

I guess I'll throw my two crusty zinc cents worth of opinion on this subject too. I have both the 800 and D2 at this point. I have thousands of hours on the 800, but, only a couple dozen hours on the D2, so, admittedly this isn't a totally fair comparison until I get many more hours on it and get used to it's differences and quirks. These are just my initial impressions of the D2, and what I like and dislike.

Like:

1. the weight

2. the collapsibility

3. The adjustability and number of canned programs as well as the extra custom slots.

4. More robust waterproofing

5. Turning on/off the detector also turns on/off the headphones

6. Not having to mess with any cables, which will make coil changes (whenever they actually have a 13" one for sale) even easier

7. Coil mount/bolt/tensioning design....at least so far, although I'm not a fan of a rear mount.

8. The depth seems very good with a stock 9" coil. Can't wait to see what a 13" one will do!

Don't like, or like less than the 800:

1. The menu tree....more like a forest than a linear tree. Not very intuitive IMO (ie. the number of tones choice is under the discrimination expert heading? WTF?) 

2. No threshold tone available in anything except in Pitch. (I like full tones)

3. Having to use 2 different buttons to use the pin point feature...one to turn it on, a different one to turn it off. Idiotic...

4. Turning off the machine erases many current settings unless you save the program

5. The need to stop and add the antenna to walk into the surf

6. No depth meter

7. I can't seem to get as close to playground equipment or metal fences as I can with the 800, even with the 9" compared to the 800's 11" or 12 X 15". It seems to be much more sensitive to large nearby iron.

Things I'm undecided on, or, on the fence about:

1. The tones/sounds....always hated the original D1 sounds. The square tones are a real improvement, but, still not as good as the 800 or many other machines I've owned. They might grow on me over time

2. The backphones. I like the weight and the tone quality is good. They just don't feel right yet.

3. Silent search. I have always used a threshold tone and feel "naked" without it.

4. The D2 seems a bit less sensitive to tiny mid conductors at depth than the 800. Still testing that though.

5. The flexy lower shaft is actually a bit worse than the factory 800.....didn't think that was even possible! Doesn't really bother me, though I would prefer some nice light and stiff carbon fiber. On a side note.....some taller people (I'm 5'11") will find that lower shaft a bit short. I have it all the way extended and it's adequate, but, not much more than that.

I'll add more as my caffeine deprived brain triggers more thoughts.......

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

A newer model will not replace Equinox, but will be a higher priced different model. Equinox will be around for quite a long time still. And Equinox too low priced? Really? That's a complaint? Maybe more like priced like they ought to be, instead of sky high. I remember when paying over $1000 for a metal detector would have been considered insanity, and metal detectors has been a rare electronic technology where prices have been driven higher, mainly due to lack of real competition versus Minelab.

I didn’t say it was a complaint.  It was a smart marketing move by Minelab to get their machine into the hands of new users. They could have sold them for $1400.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I don't disagree with you at all. Not everyone is in your situation, and so it's not as big an issue for them, but me, I like center mount coils, just like you. :smile: What I really detest though are $400 coils!! Every XP coil you buy you are buying another detector. I'd love a Deus 2 with plug in dumb coils that cost less money, don't need to be charged/paired, and eliminate that silly antenna when used in water. Makes more sizes possible by getting rid of the battery, and opens it up more to third party coils. Which is exactly why it will never happen. The coils are the cash cow.

Steve,

As usual, all good points.  I do know several Deus II owners who bought an adapter that moves the mount point to the center of the coil and they love the balance.  And I'm so glad that you mentioned the silly antenna.  I posted about that same issue a couple of months ago and got ripped for being a complainer.

Bill

Deus2 warranty.  Hmmm I hope I don’t get any water ingress…appears it’s not covered under the warranty. Maybe I need that explained better. image.thumb.jpg.76237ba4e1552325db4449030444de4b.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tometusns said:

Deus2 warranty.  Hmmm I hope I don’t get any water ingress…appears it’s not covered under the warranty. Maybe I need that explained better. image.thumb.jpg.76237ba4e1552325db4449030444de4b.jpg

Interesting...hopefully that's just a mistake. It appears possible that XP just cut-and-pasted from the non-waterproof XP Deus I manual to create the warranty section for the Deus II manual. Pretty big oversight not to remove that on a waterproof model...assuming it is an oversight. Here's the relevant page from the Deus I manual:

XPDeusManual.png

• Like 1

Yes, hopefully it’s just an oversight. You wouldn’t think a water proof machine would have that written like that in the warranty. 

• Like 1

On 5/27/2022 at 9:37 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

I remember when paying over $1000 for a metal detector would have been considered insanity

No kidding, as I'm finding out.. 😀

After 4 months of daily use, the Deus 2 still hasn't outperformed the Equinox: neither in finding anything the Equinox has missed, or being value for money because of its latest and greatest technology.. Call me old school but I like coils with cables and without flashing lights, fiddly antennas and recharging points.. It seems like there's always some Deus part being recharged.. For me, this sort of wireless technology doesn't add any value at all..

Also the long promised large coil (13x15'') remains a catalogue show-pony.. I hate to think how much they'd want for that baby once it's released - probably enough to buy two detectors..

So yeah, more fool me.. Its only saving grace is that it's a good scuba detector, not just because of its 20 metre waterproof rating but also its target ID.. this additional info is a great advantage over 'dig it all' PI scuba detectors..    

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Erik Oostra said:

Also the long promised large coil (13x15'') remains a catalogue show-pony...

I can't imagine what a coil this large would feel like on such a light machine. Without a wire I could see it snapping off and flying/floating/sinking away. 🙄

I'm hoping for a small elliptical, whether wired or not as has been mentioned many times. I hope they are reading here.

It is odd that the Deus 2 is so expensive and certainly hard to justify as the return on relics and the large majority of coins (other than the sheer fun of finding them) is not what gold is to a GPX. It almost falls more into the category of specialized adaptive equipment like wheelchairs or orthotics. 🤣 Glad you found a justifiable niche...

Minelab makes the Equinox in Malaysia to keep the price down. I can somewhat understand the high cost were it built in the native country, but Garrett proves you can make a good detector cheap at home, just apparently not a waterproof machine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, F350Platinum said:

I can't imagine what a coil this large would feel like on such a light machine. Without a wire I could see it snapping off and flying/floating/sinking away. 🙄

You know, I did not think of that. If it were to happen that both coil ears broke in rough surf......it would be bye bye, because that little antenna wire is not going to hold against water force. Well hopefully the ears are strong enough. I have not heard of any breaking yet. I will be satisfied when Dewcon gets one and nothing breaks after 6 months.  🤣

I don't know...for what I'm using the deus 2 for it will be fine...I'm seeing great depth...separation. ...and stable  ID in iron laden home sites but I've not the hours on it yet to really talk much plus I still am learning the thing...I'm a beep/dig user and need an easy to use machine..the Nox fits that bill the Deus does not but I'll learn it as I use it more and more. I fiddled with it yesterday at the beach using the general program and could not believe how deep it detected a sinker in an area I had pulled several out of with the nox and the 10x5 coil...I have the 9" on the deus.  I never really bought it for beach hunting but the fact that it is waterproof was a big plus for me as I mostly wade up to my chest during the summer in swimming holes...The antenna sucks but it is what it is...the machine will find stuff if you are willing to put up with it's hardware inadequacies... Surf hunting is a whole different ball game that would require most machines to be modified in some way to width stand the beating...Detectors are kinda like women..do you want a pretty one? or a smart one?  or a tough one? or do you want one that is both pretty, smart, and tough?  and they cost lots a money as well...

strick 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1